• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious what everyone's plans are?
3 3

87 posts in this topic

I've been starting to think more and more lately about the future of my personal collection. I love collecting and have had majority of them since childhood over 40 years ago ... but I found myself asking what exactly are my plans? Is the goal to keep them until I die and pass them on to my kids who are less than interested in the hobby (and will likely sell at the first chance they get)? Or cash out now and at least crystalize some of the value before the hobby is snuffed out by the next generations (Gen Z and on)? Of course, these books hold a lot of sentimental value to me ... but I'm also a realist and not sure taking them to the grave with me is the best option. 

I know to each their own ... but curious what others plan to do?

5 hours ago, Ares said:

I am downsizing my collection now to concentrate on core items

My wife and daughter will be educated on who to contact if something happens to me

My wife likes to refer to my various collectibles as "trash."  She simply doesn't get it whatsoever.  Every time I sell something on eBay she is like 'they paid WHAT for that thing??'  Anyway, I remind her regularly that if anything happens to me this stuff needs to go to an auctionhouse  I can definitely see some randy baller swooping in and making a super lowball offer for all of it.  But trying to get people to take care of stuff for you after you pass, if they don't have an interest already, probably isn't working out.  For example, I would have held on to a small box of some of my grandpa's old timey collectibles (if he had any, and had he asked me), but a ton of long boxes is a big ask.

Edited by Poekaymon

I'm starting to feel the need to let many of mine go while keeping certain runs. I have over 450 comics and items signed by Mike Royer that I would prefer to stay in the family because they mean quite a lot to me.

My ASM and Avengers runs took a lot of overtime to build, so I'd like to keep those as well as my OA. My oldest nephew (40s) is the only family member who seems to appreciate comics for more than their possible value, so the rest might go to him.

5 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

...  it's also a pretty clear example of someone who had not planned on it's dispersal.  

... I am trying to downsize my collection to quality over quantity and I'm placing a  value sticker on every valuable book.  My wife could just box them up and send them to auction and do quite well.

So very true. I guess I should have titled this thread as Succession Planning for your Comics ... I find this topic isn't discussed enough and with the seriousness it needs. Mismanagement could definitely kill off the spirit we are all trying to keep alive in the hobby. I am doing the exact same thing as you with the sticky notes. Great points! 

I have 800+ slabs. I'm slowly selling, but will keep a few keys and a few books for sentimental reasons. Will save a few for my kids and explain why I chose which books to save for them. But if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, my wife knows to contact a collector friend who would help her get them to Vin at Comic Connect to sell. 

Either that of I'll be buried with my entire collection like the pharaohs. 

Edited by MatterEaterLad

i plan on selling most everything when i retire and the nice thing is .. i don't overvalue my stuff ! i feel just as good selling something with meat

left on the bone for the buyer as i do buying something at a fair/cheap price !! fortunately i when i do get around to selling. it will be more for the reason of clearing everything out rather than making anywhere near top dollar , 

when i sell something i go to eBay "sold listings" and i see what similar items have sold for , i then price my item at or near the bottom of what previous items have sold for and then hope for the best in a 7 day auction, sometimes it only sells for the beginning amount but often i am pleasantly surprised with the end results, i am happy either way

i am extremely discouraged though once again with Ebay as now they have changed the rules for sellers again ...

14 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

My wife likes to refer to my various collectibles as "trash."  She simply doesn't get it whatsoever.  Every time I sell something on eBay she is like 'they paid WHAT for that thing??'  Anyway, I remind her regularly that if anything happens to me this stuff needs to go to an auctionhouse  I can definitely see some randy baller swooping in and making a super lowball offer for all of it.  But trying to get people to take care of stuff for you after you pass, if they don't have an interest already, probably isn't working out.  For example, I would have held on to a small box of some of my grandpa's old timey collectibles (if he had any, and had he asked me), but a ton of long boxes is a big ask.

You should tell her what people are willing to pay for my older worn out shoes. 

My plans are as follows:

1) Leave to family or close friend who wants them.

2) If no family interest, sell when I am around 65-70 and have family get the money. During said sale I would hope these boards exists so I could ensure books go to fans who truly love them.

I might start the selling process sooner but right now that is the goal. There are maybe 12-20 books I’d keep forever the rest I could see myself being fine with parting with when the time comes.

However the thrill is still very much alive and well for me so those days are far off at the moment!

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i am extremely discouraged though once again with Ebay as now they have changed the rules for sellers again ...

I've seen a few references to changes on the Bay recently. What are some of the big ones that affect sellers? hm