• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious what everyone's plans are?
3 3

87 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Instead of a will , do a living trust. The courts cant touch your money with a trust. A will allows all your debtors to get paid prior to your family's share is dispersed. 

What if you have no debtors?

My wife has a list of websites, phone numbers and emails of folks to get in contact with, should anything happen to me suddenly. Some of you might even be on that list! I've got a spreadsheet with the general value of the collection, just to give her an idea of just how low or high the offers might be. (They won't be very high, I don't keep a ton of stuff for the personal collection.)

Assuming I should live my expected lifespan, the plan, like most folks, is to sell most of it when I retire, and we move to someplace warmer and sunnier. Once our parents are gone, we don't have much keeping us here. She has a sister and niece, and I don't have any siblings, and we don't have kids. So yeah, the great sell off and move. Of course, by that time the market may have completely collapsed, and many folks will likely be selling at the same time. But that's ok. I've enjoyed owning the stuff, I didn't consider any of it to be an investment. I have a pension. Anything I'm able to squeeze out of the collection will be a nice little supplement.

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

My wife has a list of websites, phone numbers and emails of folks to get in contact with, should anything happen to me suddenly. Some of you might even be on that list! I've got a spreadsheet with the general value of the collection, just to give her an idea of just how low or high the offers might be. (They won't be very high, I don't keep a ton of stuff for the personal collection.)

Assuming I should live my expected lifespan, the plan, like most folks, is to sell most of it when I retire, and we move to someplace warmer and sunnier. Once our parents are gone, we don't have much keeping us here. She has a sister and niece, and I don't have any siblings, and we don't have kids. So yeah, the great sell off and move. Of course, by that time the market may have completely collapsed, and many folks will likely be selling at the same time. But that's ok. I've enjoyed owning the stuff, I didn't consider any of it to be an investment. I have a pension. Anything I'm able to squeeze out of the collection will be a nice little supplement.

This is how I feel as well. I have no children (yet) and am in good health and intend to be here for another 40-50 years or so and that's a lot of time to savor and appreciate all the things I like; it's only an investment after the fact, for me it's the sheer joy of collecting. Who knows what will happen in the next few years that might influence whatever happens to all of our collections, right?

BTW 'F For Fake' is fantastic; I was watching the Criterion copy of it just yesterday with all of it's bonus features.

7 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:
19 hours ago, lizards2 said:

What if you have no debtors?

Kinda un-American. Wait, I think someone said you rode a moose.  So that makes sense.

Edited 6 minutes ago by Poekaymon

I am also old. Everyone should strive to be debt free by the time they retire, which I have been for almost four years.

I am also not totally debt free. We still owe 80K on a second home (4.375% interest), about 3K on an auto loan (2.49% interest), and about 5K on my Avengers 1 (0% interest).  The two little loans will be paid off within the next year. I need to investigate a refinance on the second home, as I understand home interest rates are at all time low.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

about 5K on my Avengers 1 (0% interest).

A true comic enthusiast 👍🏻 I’ve been better at tracking what my collection is to date as I’ve been starting to sell more than casually I’m  - running out of room and am not a fan of storage units , I have a few full runs I could live without but have been dreading shipping them out since the USPS is about as speedy as a horse drawn carriage lately 

I plan on getting a fire pit! Call me CAK!

I am going to buy about 2 pieces of OA next year and a few Steranko comics. I enjoy finding stuff to sell and getting a few things here and there. I am actually downsizing fairly rapidly but getting more valuable things along the way. 

15 hours ago, wisbyron said:

This is how I feel as well. I have no children (yet) and am in good health and intend to be here for another 40-50 years or so and that's a lot of time to savor and appreciate all the things I like; it's only an investment after the fact, for me it's the sheer joy of collecting. Who knows what will happen in the next few years that might influence whatever happens to all of our collections, right?

BTW 'F For Fake' is fantastic; I was watching the Criterion copy of it just yesterday with all of it's bonus features.

Huge Orson Welles fan, and F For Fake is (obviously) a personal favorite. I remember the first time I saw it, my mind was BLOWN at the big reveal. Honest to god didn't see it coming. Tremendous movie, and the Criterion is lovely (of course)!

I plan to retire from the Army on 1 February 2023. That will put me at 30 years and 26 days. Then after that I just want to relax for a month before I get a job (already one is lined up back home) to continue collecting what I like. I don’t run out and grab spec books. I mainly collect the characters I like, Thor, Batman, Blade, Power Girl, Daredevil, any He-Man & Thundercats comics, Wonder Woman & Captain America 

Sell everything to pay as much of college as it will pay for with my kid, and money for her to "find her way" after college (thats how it works now, right?). 

Then I just just walk the collectibles Earth, get in adventures, that sort of thing.  So I would not be a bum.  I would simply be bluehorseshoe, nothing more, nothing less.

pf_104.jpg

On 12/7/2020 at 12:17 PM, oakman29 said:

Instead of a will , do a living trust. The courts cant touch your money with a trust. A will allows all your debtors to get paid prior to your family's share is dispersed. 

I know this is gonna sound crazy but why wouldn't you want to pay your debtors?   When I borrow money I promise to pay them back and honoring that promise is important.

On 12/7/2020 at 12:25 PM, MagicMan_2017 said:

You make a great point ... so very true. I do pull it out on bad days and no matter how many times I look at it, it brings this euphoria to me. Sometimes it's weird to think that none of my wife, kids, family or friends get it ... and it's just me and my comics. An unspoken relationship.

Most people don't get it but that's okay, as long as it makes you happy and you're not hurting anyone who cares.  I don't need the money so I plan to keep my collection and continue to add to it.  General goal of reducing the number of books and increasing the quality.