• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master of Kung Fu appreciation thread
1 1

202 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, SuperBird said:

mokf22.jpg

Nice to see the copy I bought off the rack in such good hands.  :applause:

I was a big fan of the title, finding it fresh and different from all the superhero spandex, and being a big fan of the Moench-Gulacy creative team.  

image.png.c43e2ed9ab188875530a32292e703adc.png

Edited by namisgr

10 hours ago, namisgr said:

Nice to see the copy I bought off the rack in such good hands.  :applause:

I was a big fan of the title, finding it fresh and different from all the superhero spandex, and being a big fan of the Moench-Gulacy creative team.  

image.png.c43e2ed9ab188875530a32292e703adc.png

Oh wow! that's awesome

10 hours ago, namisgr said:

I stopped buying and reading books in 1976 to focus on grad school, but later found the rest of the complete run.  I thought Gene Day was terrific pencilling the title, following in the big footsteps of Gulacy and Mike Zeck:

image.thumb.png.64ff54f06c8c71d49466405340411e1d.pngimage.thumb.png.956600b3756d8e87372fb12f5c7bc108.png  

image.thumb.png.af1d5bae4fb44ebd37bf6b5d8c0159f2.pngimage.thumb.png.76d9ed759187b993b425cb29a4953c72.png  

IMHO Gene Day was fantastic, and greatly underappreciated. So tragic when he passed. 

7 hours ago, SuperBird said:

This was the first MoKF book I read back when I was like 10 years old. For years I had a horrible beater copy, after which I ridiculously overpaid to get this 9.8, which was at the time the only one IIRC. 

mokf37.jpg

show the beater if you still have it- that is more interesting in a way

On 12/5/2020 at 12:22 PM, SuperBird said:

To my surprise, there is a distinct lack of MoKF appreciation here in Bronze. It is time to rectify the situation. I may have... just a few...

Absolutely loved the early run of the MOKF series with the beautiful interior artwork by Gulacy as it reminded me of a poor man's Steranko artwork.  :luhv:

I guess it was not a real secret that Steranko for some reason, didn't really cared much for Gulacy's artwork at all.

I believe the MOKF run would have been a much bigger hit if it had Gulacy covers, as opposed to the pedistrian covers they had during the Gulacy run.  It was not until Paul stopped doing the interior art for MOKF that he finally got around to doing the covers for a few random issues such as the absolutely gorgeous MOKF 64 cover here:  (thumbsu  :takeit:

s-l1600.jpg

On 12/6/2020 at 3:22 AM, namisgr said:

I stopped buying and reading books in 1976 to focus on grad school, but later found the rest of the complete run.  I thought Gene Day was terrific pencilling the title, following in the big footsteps of Gulacy and Mike Zeck:

image.thumb.png.64ff54f06c8c71d49466405340411e1d.pngimage.thumb.png.956600b3756d8e87372fb12f5c7bc108.png  

image.thumb.png.af1d5bae4fb44ebd37bf6b5d8c0159f2.pngimage.thumb.png.76d9ed759187b993b425cb29a4953c72.png  

Being a fan of Gulacy's interor artwork on MOKF and especially some of his well laid out splash pages, I made the classic collector mistake of not bothering to pick up the latter part of the MOKF run when Mike Zeck and Gene Day took over the artwork.  doh!

I really should have continued with the latter part of the run as the Zeck and Day issues were also beautifully drawn and needless to say, as clearly evident above, the later covers were definitely far superior to the earlier covers.  :luhv:

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess it was not a real secret that Steranko for some reason, didn't really cared much for Gulacy's artwork at all.

What's your source for this?  Steranko said in a 1975 interview that he knew Gulacy personally and liked his work.

https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2012/06/david-bowie-as-black-widow-jim-steranko.html

7 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:
On 12/16/2020 at 12:55 AM, lou_fine said:

What's your source for this?  Steranko said in a 1975 interview that he knew Gulacy personally and liked his work.

https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2012/06/david-bowie-as-black-widow-jim-steranko.html

Well, you do realize that was from an interview way back in 1975 and being no fool, which he also clearly knew was going to be for public consumption. hm

I remember talking to Steranko on 2 different occasions while getting a book signed by him.  On both occasions, I remember bringing up Gulacy's name and shall we say that he seem to be rather snarky and virtually scoff at the thought that collectors would compare Gulacy to him from an artistic merit point of view.  

Then again, I always thought that although Steranko was an absolute creative master when it came to the layout and artistic side of the comic books, he did have a rather large ego and pretty high impression of himself.  :smirk: