• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master of Kung Fu appreciation thread
1 1

202 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am going to confess, I do not believe I have ever read one of these. But i decided to set up a short box to put them in as I organized my collection, figuring they should be handy if demand for filler issues picks up (I only have one copy of #15 left, a few of 16, etc). Apparently, every time I bought bronze age books I seem to have bought a few of these. The short box is now stuffed. I keep on finding a few of these in every "unsorted" box I come across. I may need a magazine box. So I have a magazine box full of a title I have never read. This is mental illness.

Start with the Gulacy issues. :)

On 12/28/2020 at 10:58 AM, HighVoltage said:

This is a great example of what I hope the movie can duplicate... some of that James Bond vibe.

MOKF had so much spy stuff in it. It just seems like the movie could connect on a number of things: thriller, spy/intrigue, martial arts

There's a good cast of villains with some cool visual looks too.

Is he going to walk around in a bright red outfit to stick out like a sort thumb? That's the funny thing about 70s books, I guess regular people were walking around in outlandish outfits anyway back then (at least where I grew up), but he is hardly incognito here..

3 hours ago, the blob said:

I am going to confess, I do not believe I have ever read one of these. But i decided to set up a short box to put them in as I organized my collection, figuring they should be handy if demand for filler issues picks up (I only have one copy of #15 left, a few of 16, etc). Apparently, every time I bought bronze age books I seem to have bought a few of these. The short box is now stuffed. I keep on finding a few of these in every "unsorted" box I come across. I may need a magazine box. So I have a magazine box full of a title I have never read. This is mental illness.

You should definitely read them.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

:bump:

Decided to give this thread here a long awaited and timely bump in light of the big upcoming CC Event Auction which end next week.  (thumbsu

Especially if you are a MOKF aficonado, since it looks like they have a near virtual complete run of the entire MOKF title pretty much all in CGC 9.8 graded condition if you are a uber HG collector or label chaser, starting right from this first issue right here:  :cloud9:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/897862

spe14.199.jpg

Not really so much for me though since I am more of a MOKF fanatic who loves to leaf through the pages with the beautiful artwork inside, and in particular the ones with the Gulacy interiors.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Thanks for the heads up! I never even check their auctions any more

19 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Thanks for the heads up! I never even check their auctions any more

No problem and not sure why a lot of boardies here seem so upset about the 15% BP on the Kentucky Collection portion of this Event Auction (i.e. only the Thursday & Friday portion) that they are seemingly refusing to participate in this particular auction this time as some form of protest.  :screwy:

With how hot and how high the prices have been going lately, makes you almost wonder if there's any auction fatigue here as last time I looked, almost 15% of their lots were still under $10 while a full 55% of their lots have yet to hit triple digits.  Besides the uber HG BA and CA books (e.g. Conan's & DD's) that are still sitting there at only low double digits for now, you can even see single highest graded GA books in there like this one here for only $6 with only days left to go:  :cloud9:  :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820378

cra2.218_1.jpg\

Nice GA book from early 1940 and highest graded by a long shot with a total of only 5 copies graded to date.  Not sure where it's going to end up along with the other HG issues in this run by the time it's all said and done, especially since copies in this Crackajack have been selling for not only premiums to condition guide, but also multiples of guide and well into 4-figures as evident with the recently completed CL Auctions.  Maybe bidders just love to pay more money when it comes to HA and especially CL as that's where the CGC label chasers love to hang out.  hm  (shrug)

Then again, maybe it's nothing more than the auction format as CC goes with the 3-minute extended bidding auction format whereas HA and CL does not, but heck, at these low current bids like only $6 for some of these books versus versus a Crackajack in the mid-30's selling for something like $2,500 on CL just last month, it's definitely worth watching. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

It's a good thing you CA guys are never interested in any of these oldy moldy smelly disintegrating GA books.  (thumbsu  :bigsmile:

23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

No problem and not sure why a lot of boardies here seem so upset about the 15% BP on the Kentucky Collection portion of this Event Auction (i.e. only the Thursday & Friday portion) that they are seemingly refusing to participate in this particular auction this time as some form of protest.  :screwy:

It's not the premium, it's the website- I just find it hard to navigate

28 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

It's not the premium, it's the website- I just find it hard to navigate

Not sure why it would be hard to navigate their website, but then again, I only use it for their Event Auctions and historical auction archives.  Not sure about the other parts of their website though.  (thumbsu   (shrug)

With their Event Auctions, it's easy to find everything because ALL of the books are simply listed in straight alpha order and I also love the 3-minute extended bidding format because that gives me plenty of time to analyze the situation and determine whether I want to go one bid increment higher or not.  With that horrid CL format, it seems like if you really want to win a book, you really have to throw in one of those blind Hail Mary stratospheric bids right at the last second and then hope to heck that no other bidder is also thinking the same thing or else you are going to be digging much much deeper into your pocket than you had expected.  :mad:  :censored:

As for their auction archives, it's not even a contest here as CL has absolutely NO auction archives at all.  And in terms of their auction layout, CL seems to have so many different sessions with overlapping books from the different ages that it seems like a mish mash of almost everything and hard to find where the various books are at times, that I usually don't even bother after awhile.  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine