• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master of Kung Fu appreciation thread
1 1

202 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure why it would be hard to navigate their website, but then again, I only use it for their Event Auctions and historical auction archives.  Not sure about the other parts of their website though.  (thumbsu   (shrug)

for instance, if you go to the search and type in "Master of Kung Fu" you get no results. 

4 hours ago, SuperBird said:

for instance, if you go to the search and type in "Master of Kung Fu" you get no results. 

That's because you have to type in Master of Kung-Fu.  lol

You forgot to include the hyphen.   Absolutely hate that!!! :mad:

Then again, most definitely not as frustrating as the CGC Census Population Report whereby if you are looking for a certain comic book series, you end up with a whole page of crapola with similar names to it, but not the one you are looking for because you forgot a space, a hyphen, you had put in an extra hyphen, you put in Vol 2 #2 instead of V2#2, etc., etc., etc..  :frustrated::frustrated::censored: :censored::censored:

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, SuperBird said:

tonight's ComicConnect haul

mas10.1110.jpg

mas10.1150.jpg

mas10.1143_2.jpg

mas10.1130_2.jpg

mas10.1172.jpg

mas10.1162.jpg

mas10.1175_2.jpg

Outstanding pickups!

You got some sweet Zeck cover goodness and two of the best Gulacys.

#97 feels like a scene from a Tarantino movie where the *bleep* is just about to go down.

34 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Outstanding pickups!

You got some sweet Zeck cover goodness and two of the best Gulacys.

#97 feels like a scene from a Tarantino movie where the *bleep* is just about to go down.

Thanks! I needed about 30 or so of the ones listed, but none we're "falling through the cracks", so I just stuck to the best covers. Ended up in a bidding war for the 64, but I was determined. 

On 4/15/2021 at 5:30 AM, SuperBird said:

Thanks! I needed about 30 or so of the ones listed, but none we're "falling through the cracks", so I just stuck to the best covers. Ended up in a bidding war for the 64, but I was determined. 

Yeah, sorry about that as it was definitely my BAD since it must have been a case of temporary insanity with me losing my senses for awhile there, as I had alluded to in my post the other night on the CC thread in the GA Forum: :sorry:   :insane:

On 4/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, lou_fine said:

Wow, looks like they had pretty much the entire run of the Master of Kung-Fu series available in their Event Auction earlier this evening, with virtually all of them in uber HG CGC 9.8 graded condition.  :whatthe:   :cloud9:

It's a bit too bad that Gulacy who did the beautiful interiors for most of the early issues didn't do more than a few of the later cover artwork, because it's definitely hard to beat an absolutely stunning cover like this one here:  :luhv:   :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/897932

mas10.1143_2.jpg

Since I have always loved this cover because it appears very Bruce Lee like to me, I figured that I would give this one a shot as it probably wouldn't look too bad in one of the rooms in my house.  Was in on the bidding until it got too high for my taste and was rather surprised that it actually went as high as the $338 realized price.  Even more surprising was the fact that CGC didn't do their usual and knocked the grade way way down for that large fugly written scrawl across the front cover.  :fear:  :p

I probably would have been willing to bid in that rarified air space if it had been a truly clean book without that scrawled signature and anyways, figured that the minty fresh copy that I had cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS for only 35 cents way back in the day and which I still have will just have to do for now.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

Yeah, although I was lost there for a moment and was seriously thinking of turbo charging it up to either $368 or possibly even $388, I snapped out of that crazed mindset when I looked at that fugly scrawl over the front cover log and just couldn't synch it up with a CGC 9.8 grade in my own mind.  What really brought me back to the world of the living was during one of the 3-minute extended bidding sessions, I took a look at the GoCollect website which indicated FMV of only $100 for this book in CGC 9.8 and the one that really did it was the Overstreet with his top of guide valuation for this book set at only $6 whihc is definitely rather loonie bin to me.  :screwy:

Knowing full well that I would have buyer's remorse if I ended up with the book at such a high price, my personal copy at a big 35 cents would just have to suffice for me while I scamper away from the seemingly crazed FOMO BA and CA marketplace and crawl back into my safe and comfortable GA hovel.  Definitely a case of to each their own, but yet it's hard to argue with a GA book like this very late and extremely HTF Jungle issue here with a total of only 4 copies slabbed to date and still for only a tad over condition guide at $105 plus the 15% BP:   :luhv:   :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901414

jun1.1813.jpg

Like I said earlier, it's really a case of to each their own, and big big congrats to you for picking up what is clearly the best Gulacy cover by far in the MOKF run and possibly even the best cover in the entire MOKF run.  :cloud9:  :applause:  :applause:

On 4/10/2021 at 7:29 PM, SuperBird said:

Thanks for the heads up! I never even check their auctions any more

So, are you basically telling me that absolutely gorgeous CGC 9.8 graded copy of MOKF with the killer drop dead Gulacy cover would have been mine's at what I initially thought would be my drop dead max price of only $138 or hopefully less, if I had only not alerted you to the MOKF run that was available in this CC Event Auction here?  doh! :pullhair: :censored:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, are you basically telling me that absolutely gorgeous CGC 9.8 graded copy of MOKF with the killer drop dead Gulacy cover would have been mine's at what I initially thought would be my drop dead max price of only $138 or hopefully less, if I had only not alerted you to the MOKF run that was available in this CC Event Auction here?  doh! :pullhair: :censored:  :censored:

Well, you could look at it the other way: I saved you $138!

As for this copy, it it the only 9.8 copy (sig or not) I have seen for sale since I started collecting my MOKF run. I probably would have topped out at $408.  

11 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Well, you could look at it the other way: I saved you $138!

As for this copy, it it the only 9.8 copy (sig or not) I have seen for sale since I started collecting my MOKF run. I probably would have topped out at $408.  

WTF...............now you tell me!!!  :censored:  

Now, if you had told me sooner, I simply could have slotted $409 into Bid box right from the get go and saved us both a lot of time and unnecessary stress.  (tsk)

Then again, I would probably have a bad case of buyer's remorse every time I looked at the book knowing that I never buy dups unless it's going to lower my breakeven cost, and in this case here, it would have been a humongous increase since the original copy in my collection had cost me only 35 cents.  :banana:

Seriously though, I guess that's why my Spidey sense started to tingle once the bidding cracked the $300 price point and I am glad you won it since I am sure you will appreciate the book much more than me, especially once it's in the company of what sounds like an absolutely stunning and top notch MOKF run.  Even more special is the fact that since MOKF 64 is curremtly the highest graded with a total of only 7 copies and your copy is the only Signature Copy there is, I guess you have the best of the best in the world when it comes to MOKF 64.   (thumbsu  :applause:

As for me actually, the other thing that crossed my mind at the time during one of those 3-minute extended bidding sessions was that the money would be much better spent towards paying for books like this one here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908192

arc7.299.jpg

A highest graded copy out of a total of 7 slabbed copies to date for something like 20% over condition guide.  Kind of a rip-off now that I give it some more thought since it is supposedly one of these rare 35 cent variants which most likely means it is probably one of those cheapo versions printed up for the Canadian marketplace.  doh!  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, SuperBird said:

The first trailer dropped today. Digging it!

And now the price of MSE15 has tripled since last week.  Great deal for the guy who bought the 9.8 on CL a few days before the trailer hit.