• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive Postal Delays
7 7

360 posts in this topic

Just received a package ordered from a boardie on November 30th and another package marked “delivered” on Sunday, 12/13 arrived today. USPS tracking said “left in mailbox” which is impossible as every delivery must be left with 24 hr security in the building lobby. I should have my head examined since I go through something similar around this time every year.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:36 PM, Poekaymon said:

Glad some of you are getting things through.  I agree that USPS is great in general.  I've personally never had a package lost, and I prefer them to UPS and Fedex except for very heavy packages.

Still, I'd strongly advise against sending anything now.  I have no fewer than 20 packages currently in total limbo, including a few that were shipped from PA (to New Jersey) and have ended up in completely different and out of the way states, like Virginia, Florida, and Texas.  Have at least 10 other packages, incoming and outgoing, where the last update was December 1st.  It is absolutely out of control, at least shipping to or from New Jersey. 

Hey, I think I see my package that's in limbo!

I spent two hours clearing out my driveway, shoveling out my walkway and porch, and ensuring that my mailbox was completely clear so the postal carrier would have no impediments to delivering the package I was expecting today. The carrier never even bothered coming by at all and marked the tracking as "No access". I guess he just didn't feel like delivering today. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

I spent two hours clearing out my driveway, shoveling out my walkway and porch, and ensuring that my mailbox was completely clear so the postal carrier would have no impediments to delivering the package I was expecting today. The carrier never even bothered coming by at all and marked the tracking as "No access". I guess he just didn't feel like delivering today. 

image.gif.ebd2bd4c48b2c7e9ec06a429c7e89dcf.gif

8 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Just received a package ordered from a boardie on November 30th and another package marked “delivered” on Sunday, 12/13 arrived today. USPS tracking said “left in mailbox” which is impossible as every delivery must be left with 24 hr security in the building lobby. I should have my head examined since I go through something similar around this time every year.

anyone who ships w usps should have their head examined this year. i spent some coin to ship my holiday gift exchange pkg to canada via dhl so it would actually get there. now i am waiting on a number of things sent to me by usps that i am skeptical will ever arrive at all, including whatever my secret santa sent to me.  its a pathetic statement about the state of our nation that the postal service can be this awful. 

FYI all:

On Dec 9 I shipped 9 packages to boardies, from Philadelphia burbs, 2 day Priority. 6 boxes and 3 flat rate envelopes.

7 still in transit, most stopped at  Washington DC distribution center (for days). Most destinations were <1000 miles, some ~100 miles.

2 packages delivered. One to Houston, the other to Hawaii!

20 minutes ago, whomerjay said:

FYI all:

On Dec 9 I shipped 9 packages to boardies, from Philadelphia burbs, 2 day Priority. 6 boxes and 3 flat rate envelopes.

7 still in transit, most stopped at  Washington DC distribution center (for days). Most destinations were <1000 miles, some ~100 miles.

2 packages delivered. One to Houston, the other to Hawaii!

:eek:

I finally got my shoes Wed. They were shipped from Florida on 11/30, they arrived in NY 12/1. I'm in NY. Took them 15 days to walk here.

I let an opportunity to acquire a key I’ve been looking for slip past me because of these delays. 

Spotted it when it was first listed on eBay and it presented very well for the grade, which I don’t see often. Someone else snagged it less than 24 hours later. 

Kind of kicking myself that I missed it...but just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger and drop that kind of money and risk it getting lost in the mail. 

Edited by Number 6

9 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I let an opportunity to acquire a key I’ve been looking for slip past me because of these delays. 

Spotted it when it was first listed on eBay and it presented very well for the grade, which I don’t see often. Someone else snagged it less than 24 hours later. 

Kind of kicking myself that I missed it...but just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger and drop that kind of money and risk it getting lost in the mail. 

Could you not bought it and had the seller delay shipping until after the holidays? 

I asked this of a seller and he completely understood. 

On 12/17/2020 at 3:11 PM, wombat said:

9 days in Jersey City. I don't know what crimes against humanity my comics committed, but they are certainly paying the price. 

New Jersey post office that's a fairly common theme. I hate seeing anyone buy from me in that state. Watch your tracking it will jump all over the place before it gets there. 

2 hours ago, evilskip said:

We were surprised to see our mail carrier coming up the walkway on a Sunday with packages. She said this was her second trip through the neighborhood and another truck might be coming through later in the day.

Common in my area. They wont pick up packages though only deliver. :frown:

6 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

New Jersey post office that's a fairly common theme. I hate seeing anyone buy from me in that state. Watch your tracking it will jump all over the place before it gets there. 

Jersey Shore enough said, still I feel I must. 

If any postal carrier in that area leaves their vehicle unattended they come back to a letter. 71583807.thumb.jpg.3637789824dcbc13fc59e4c168445b3f.jpg

32 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

2nd time in a week that a neighbor (not a close one) called to say they got our package...funny thing is, some got here, they just seem to giveaway the bigger boxes.

This must be Fedex

This last week I’ve gotten 3 packages addressed to neighbors. One was for a house 1 mile away. I think FedEx relies on GPS to tell them they’ve arrived at the location, instead of actually looking at street sign and house number. 

4 minutes ago, whomerjay said:

This last week I’ve gotten 3 packages addressed to neighbors. One was for a house 1 mile away. I think FedEx relies on GPS to tell them they’ve arrived at the location, instead of actually looking at street sign and house number. 

That makes sense, however, why deliver 2 out of 3? Each time I had other packages from the same store arrive here, lol.

I really need to start a spreadsheet on what I order. I usually just check my credit card bills, but I think maybe I need to be a little more proactive this year. I've never ever ordered so much online, I'm used to taking stuff home with me and not worrying about it arriving.

Not adding any new insight or anything here, but I've got to vent. I primarily am a buyer, but I also sell to mycomicshop a couple of times a month, and it's usually a couple of longboxes per order. Right now, a longbox I dropped off the week after Thanksgiving has just vanished. The only activity shown is the label being created, so I suppose it never got scanned into their system. The box that went with it never got scanned either, but it was caught at a distribution center somehow and made it to the receiver a little more than a week ago. So I have no idea where the missing box is, and neither do they. This is the second time it's happened to me since June, and the first one never reappeared. So, with the amount of shipping I do, I think losing 2 big boxes in 6 months is inexcusable. I can only imagine how much it would hurt if I was a high volume shipper and USPS was losing 10-15% of the packages I sent to people. But nobody else is really any better right now, so what can you do? I'm frustrated to no end about this, and I don't have hope for any type of fix down the road, because it is just getting worse. Should I just give up using mail for purchases? Shouldn't this be a major concern that can't be fixed by raising stamp prices or cutting expenses? Does nobody in charge even care?