• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive Postal Delays
7 7

360 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

How could anybody even defend this? There is no excuse for the frequency of it happening either. Private businesses that perform this badly go out of business quickly. Why is the US Government held to such low standards, and why hasn't it improved? 

they're backed up because they're busy. and I guess they're busy because not enough people view UPS, FedEx, and DHL as viable options, either due to cost, convenience, whatever. USPS does not have a monopoly on packages. Maybe for letters/christmas cards. USPS is simply one option you have in the market for shipping packages. Granted, in some remote areas it might be your only viable option, but for 90% of us that is not the case. Indeed, there are closer UPS and FedEx drop off points to me than my post office. And for bigger boxes I may start thinking about UPS moving forward. 

15 hours ago, Roo_Phillip said:

I hate to brag, but I sold something on EBay Saturday morning and shipped it 2 Day Priority.  It was delivered in Miami today, 50 hours later.  :whatthe:  I feel like I won the lottery!

Of course, everything else is late, so I'll be back to person_without_enough_empathyin' 'em out tomorrow.  :bigsmile:

As per my prior posts, while it took like 10+ days for one package to go 10 miles within my own city (and 13 days from NYC to Cleveland), another package sent the same day got from NYC to Hawaii in like 3 days. Go figure.

On 12/21/2020 at 11:44 AM, Pat Thomas said:

You are correct. Of course, that pretty much defeats the purpose of pre-printing my labels for convenient drop-off at USPS without standing in line, or leaving at UPS Store for pickup. Worked just fine for me for years, and then it didn't. Why offer the "conveniences" if their employees can't be depended upon to do their part?

I totally agree with you on this statement but the scanning and receiving of the receipt gives them 0 possibility to blame you for the loss.  Eliminate any factors that would help them win a case against you for error and then they won't.  It's a struggle to be paranoid when it comes to packages but I rest easier when shipping my packages due to it.  I always get a receipt but if it's a low value item I am willing to let my USPS driver scan it (but even then I always ask to see them scan it so I know it made it into their system).

I had some customer on Amazon who tried asking for a refund for an October 1993 (Seinfeld cover) of Playboy. Tracking shows it mailed September 4th and delivered on September 10th.

A little research showed me this guy was WAAAAY out of time (at 100 days past DELIVERY even versus 31 days Amazon requires) to request this and the advice was to simply click on "response not needed" and ignore it.

My guess is that they think this might work (refund) if they just ask for it. Nope-- go fish buster. Or maybe they have my item confused for another. Either way-- I'm not responding and giving them an method to dispute something 3.5 months after the fact.

36 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I totally agree with you on this statement but the scanning and receiving of the receipt gives them 0 possibility to blame you for the loss.  Eliminate any factors that would help them win a case against you for error and then they won't.  It's a struggle to be paranoid when it comes to packages but I rest easier when shipping my packages due to it.  I always get a receipt but if it's a low value item I am willing to let my USPS driver scan it (but even then I always ask to see them scan it so I know it made it into their system).

Yeah, unfortunately that is the only way to prove they received the package in the first place. I guess from now on I'll wait in line with my heavy- boxes until I finally get to the counter to deal with an employee whose expression lets me know just what they think of me and my boxes. Or I could just quit trading with mycomicshop and throw out the 6,000 or so comics they'll eventually buy up from me, because pulling and packing 500-700 books is kind of a pain. Why bother?

23 minutes ago, Pat Thomas said:

Yeah, unfortunately that is the only way to prove they received the package in the first place. I guess from now on I'll wait in line with my heavy- boxes until I finally get to the counter to deal with an employee whose expression lets me know just what they think of me and my boxes. Or I could just quit trading with mycomicshop and throw out the 6,000 or so comics they'll eventually buy up from me, because pulling and packing 500-700 books is kind of a pain. Why bother?

I can only imagine the time it takes to package up a box of that size.  I think the most I ever shipped at once was 400-ish books and it was a huge pain to prep.  With all the red tape and online fees and such it's almost not worth shipping anything under a set value.  I just always err on the side of caution and for the most part I've had pretty good luck so far.  Sorry that you have to deal with it the way you do, though!  I hope your lost/missing package shows up at some point!

1 hour ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I always get a submission (I submit to CGC and the USPS :smile:) receipt from USPS even when I printed the shipping labels at home, which I ceased to do when the USPS eliminated the discount for doing such. I have not checked whether USPS reinstituted that discount.

11 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I always get a submission (I submit to CGC and the USPS :smile:) receipt from USPS even when I printed the shipping labels at home, which I ceased to do when the USPS eliminated the discount for doing such. I have not checked whether USPS reinstituted that discount.

I do the same.  I try printing my own labels online but it's such a pain as the USPS website always gives me problems.  Usually I just get frustrated and take it in for shipment since I plan to drop them off in person to get a receipt anyway.  It's better to be safe than sorry and if you have to go in anyway we might as well buy it in store, you know?

3 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:
3 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I do the same.  I try printing my own labels online but it's such a pain as the USPS website always gives me problems.  Usually I just get frustrated and take it in for shipment since I plan to drop them off in person to get a receipt anyway.  It's better to be safe than sorry and if you have to go in anyway we might as well buy it in store, you know?

I print all my postage at home, and give the discount break to my customers. There is a substantial discount using PayPal shipping. I still have to use USPS site for some items, like regional rate shipping, and legal priority envelopes. I do take most stuff to the window to make sure it is scanned into tracking, as it sometimes is not scanned using the scheduled pick up option. International postage is a breeze on line, and all the customs stuff is internalized - the posties love it when you do the international on line, as doing it at the window is a pain.

Ok, so how long do you all wait to follow up with postal delays in this new environment?  I had something sent to me the 7th and processed through New York the 8th.  On the 12th it went to 'In Transit, Arriving Late' and nothing since then.  Should I fill something out online?  Is there a number I can call where you can actually have someone look into it?  Or am I worrying much to early and I should just wait another week or two? 

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

Ok, so how long do you all wait to follow up with postal delays in this new environment?  I had something sent to me the 7th and processed through New York the 8th.  On the 12th it went to 'In Transit, Arriving Late' and nothing since then.  Should I fill something out online?  Is there a number I can call where you can actually have someone look into it?  Or am I worrying much to early and I should just wait another week or two? 

I filled out a Help Request form online when a priority mail package I was waiting on had no updates for more than a week after departing Oakland, CA (I live in AZ).

12 hours after filling out the form, the priority mail package and another first class package that had also been missing both "arrived" at my local post office.

1 minute ago, Rockyjo3 said:
2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

I filled out a Help Request form online when a priority mail package I was waiting on had no updates for more than a week after departing Oakland, CA (I live in AZ).

12 hours after filling out the form, the priority mail package and another first class package that had also been missing both "arrived" at my local post office.

All I had to do is complain on these boards and this evening it was received by the Minneapolis distribution center.