• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive Postal Delays
7 7

360 posts in this topic

I am experiencing this right now.

I am in N.J., on 1/8/21 I sent out two packages, both Priority Mail, one to Houston TX and the other to Aurora CO.

The package to Houston was delivered on Tuesday 1/12, the package to Colorado is still "In Transit".

It left here, went to Jacksonville Florida (?), at one point tracking showed it reached a CO distribution center but as of today, 2 weeks later tracking still shows "In Transit".

On 1/22/2021 at 9:50 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I am experiencing this right now.

I am in N.J., on 1/8/21 I sent out two packages, both Priority Mail, one to Houston TX and the other to Aurora CO.

The package to Houston was delivered on Tuesday 1/12, the package to Colorado is still "In Transit".

It left here, went to Jacksonville Florida (?), at one point tracking showed it reached a CO distribution center but as of today, 2 weeks later tracking still shows "In Transit".

We mailed a package from NJ to PA three weeks ago. It has been sitting in Florida for over two weeks. Yes, Florida. 

1 minute ago, wombat said:

We mailed a package from NJ to PA three weeks ago. It has been sitting in Florida for over two weeks. Yes, Florida. 

I have noticed a lot of my packages being routed through Florida when that's not even the right direction towards the destination. I have to wonder if the usps is routing away from troubled distribution centers. 

Well, for anything entering or leaving Canada now, I believe there's now ging to be longer delays going forward as they just had a major Covid outbreak at the the South Central parcel facility just outside Toronto (i.e. Canada Post's largest parcel facility) where most of the parcels go through.  :gossip:

Sounds as though a total of 190 employees so far have just come down with the virus and all employees are now required to be tested before starting their shifts.  :sick:  :fear:

No surprise then that Canada Post told their customers that parcel delivery will now be delayed with scheduled deadlines not being able to be met.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :(

On 1/23/2021 at 6:47 PM, wombat said:

On 1/23/2021 at 6:50 PM, X_Phile said:

I have noticed a lot of my packages being routed through Florida when that's not even the right direction towards the destination. I have to wonder if the usps is routing away from troubled distribution centers. 

My package to CO finally reached its destination, I just mailed another to Houston, for whatever reason they seem to get to Houston without delay..

Hopefully with the new administration the USPS will get straightened out.  :wishluck:

15 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

On 1/23/2021 at 6:50 PM, X_Phile said:

My package to CO finally reached its destination, I just mailed another to Houston, for whatever reason they seem to get to Houston without delay..

Hopefully with the new administration the USPS will get straightened out.  :wishluck:

Mailed one on January 5 from Long Island NY to Wyoming. It arrived in Jacksonville Fla on 1/16 and then in Denver, CO on 1/22. Maybe it will get there someday...

doh!

Every single package has been "found" and has either been delivered or in transit.  The set of packages sent on December 16 were finally scanned in on January 25 and hopefully they should start arriving tomorrow.  At least my recent packages have all been on time with easy tracking.

Edited by 1Cool

Just now, 1Cool said:

Every since package has been "found" and has either been delivered or in transit.  The set of packages sent on December 16 were finally scanned in on January 25 and hopefully they should start arriving tomorrow.  At least my recent packages have all been on time with easy tracking.

I am waiting on one package that was shipped over a month ago. It is out for delivery today. I agree, I am seeing things "normalize" with the newer shipments. I have had things shipped last week that arrived yesterday. That hasn't happened in a long time. 

On Saturday I shipped 2 magazines first class from the east coast to San Francisco. They were delivered yesterday. :whatthe:

That's an outlier though. I'm finding packages are moving faster now, but still not at their usual speed, and location makes a huge difference; some hubs and sorting facilities seem to be more backed up than others.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

I dropped off my packages today and the guy behind the counter had a ton to say about the current situation.  He mostly blamed poor management (I'm assuming local branch manager) and said they are using shady practices.  He said they rented a bunch of semi trailers and have been throwing packages that can't be gotten to into them.  They then move the semi around to different branches in order to not break some rules about packages being at a location too long.  He did not seem shocked at all about my packages going unscanned for 6 weeks and says that is very common in our area.

And the hits just keep coming.  A guy gave me two negatives for his books never arriving a month ago.  I refunded his money after a couple weeks after it was evident the packages were missing but he left negatives anyhow.  Now the package arrives and he wants to return the books and is not removing the negatives since the DC # shows the package didn't ship until Jan 25th.  The label on the front of his package show the mailing date as being December 16 but it was of course not stamped until January 25 when it got scanned in.  I asked him to consider which makes more sense - I printed out the label, held onto his package for some reason, refunded his money but then shipped out the package on the 25th anyhow or the post office screwed the pooch.  Let's see if logic can work its way into his very thick skull.

57 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

And the hits just keep coming.  A guy gave me two negatives for his books never arriving a month ago.  I refunded his money after a couple weeks after it was evident the packages were missing but he left negatives anyhow.  Now the package arrives and he wants to return the books and is not removing the negatives since the DC # shows the package didn't ship until Jan 25th.  The label on the front of his package show the mailing date as being December 16 but it was of course not stamped until January 25 when it got scanned in.  I asked him to consider which makes more sense - I printed out the label, held onto his package for some reason, refunded his money but then shipped out the package on the 25th anyhow or the post office screwed the pooch.  Let's see if logic can work its way into his very thick skull.

You can pick up the phone and have those negatives removed as it clearly was not your fault.  This definitely sucks..

10 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You can pick up the phone and have those negatives removed as it clearly was not your fault.  This definitely sucks..

Yep - I'll see if I can work the logic route with this guy and then I'll call E-Bay on Friday to see if they can get it all sorted out.  He wants to ship back the books since he bought other copies (I don't blame him after 6 weeks) but how do I send him a mailing label if I've already refunded him 100% of his purchase including the initial shipping.  But in general I'm ok with how this is all working out since I initially thought the post office had completely lost 20 packages and I'd be out $600 in books.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Yep - I'll see if I can work the logic route with this guy and then I'll call E-Bay on Friday to see if they can get it all sorted out.  He wants to ship back the books since he bought other copies (I don't blame him after 6 weeks) but how do I send him a mailing label if I've already refunded him 100% of his purchase including the initial shipping.  But in general I'm ok with how this is all working out since I initially thought the post office had completely lost 20 packages and I'd be out $600 in books.

If nothing else you can ask for the size and weight , or ask him to use priority flat rate box and you pay for a label , save the image and send him a scan/image of the label. 

Any update? Did you use priority?

So I had a pricey slab shipped to me from Kentucky on Jan 20th priority mail. It hasn't been scanned since the 22nd when departing Tennessee distribution center. Tomorrow will be two weeks without a scan. I suspect this thing has fallen into some postal black hole never to come out. I think by the time this gets anywhere the book will have doubled in value and I was lucky as hell to find it at a decent price these days. At this point I'm willing to spend serious coin just to avoid this trainwreck of a postal "service". Anyone else still having delays?