• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fading Signatures or Sketches

4 posts in this topic

Has anybody had any experiences with fading signatures or sketches inside a cgc slab? I only ask because on a recent commission the artist (pretty well known) was very concerned that his pencils would fade “really quickly”. Obviously temp, light, medium... all play factors but I haven’t been in the game long enough to know if there are any go to tricks/concepts (only ink, only pencils, never use sharpie, silver fades faster than black, never glossy cover commissions, ask artist for hairspray over the top....).

18 hours ago, thesink said:

Has anybody had any experiences with fading signatures or sketches inside a cgc slab? I only ask because on a recent commission the artist (pretty well known) was very concerned that his pencils would fade “really quickly”. Obviously temp, light, medium... all play factors but I haven’t been in the game long enough to know if there are any go to tricks/concepts (only ink, only pencils, never use sharpie, silver fades faster than black, never glossy cover commissions, ask artist for hairspray over the top....).

I have several slabbed pencil sketches that are 10-12 years old and they look just like they did when I received them.  The only artist I have ever worked with who used a fixative on pencils was Allen Bellman - and he did it as a matter of course. I don’t think I have any of those left, but doing a search for Bellman CGC should give you an ides of what a fixative adds or subtracts from the sketch over time.

20 hours ago, thesink said:

Since the inner well is heat sealed, I would think the signatures would last a long time if you followed normal storage guidelines. And from what I've seen with the newer cases, even the exterior shell is fairly impenetrable as well...

Edited by The Lions Den