• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

I held off on awarding pernts because I figured they would clean and reopen the old thread.  However, pernts have now been awarded.   It was a really ridiculous thing to get that thread shut down.  I was following it from the sidelines and was disappointed.  I am curious to see how it plays out. 

Zack Snyder's version of the DC Universe may soon extend into comics. Scott Snyder, the acclaimed Batman and Justice League comics writer (no relation to Zack), took part in a panel at this weekend's Comic Con Experience virtual event. The discussion was mostly for Snyder to promote his new American Vampire 1976 series. He did touch some on his mainstream DC Comics work. According to Omelete, who sponsored the event, Scott Snyder at one point said that DC Comics asked him to "help with the comic adaptation and expansion of the [Justice League Snyder Cut] mythology that [Zack Snyder] is doing on [HBO Max]." Scott Snyder half-jokingly said he turned the job down because "I had a lot of jobs ahead of me, and I can't deal with people confusing us anymore."

Scott Snyder turned the job down, but that doesn't mean that DC Comics didn't pass the offer on to someone else. The Snyder Cut may still soon expand into comics.

Snyder's DC Comics movies already have some comics history. Man of Steel had a prequel comic focusing on Kara Zor-El, a.k.a. Supergirl. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice had nine tie-in comics. There were five digital-first comics, each focusing on a different character from the movies: Batman, Lois Lane, Senator Finch, Superman, and Lex Luthor. There were also four General Mills Presents Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice comics packed into cereal boxes.

Patty Jenkins recently stopped by ReelBlend to talk about Wonder Woman 1984, and during the conversation, CinemaBlend’s own Sean O’Connell asked the filmmaker if she watched the theatrical cut of Justice League to see how Gal Gadot’s Diana Prince was handled. Jenkins responded with the following:

"The Justice League? … No, I think that all of us DC directors tossed that out just as much as the fans did. But also, I felt that that version contradicted my first movie in many ways, and this current movie, which I was already in production on. So then, what are you going to do? I was like… you would have to play ball in both directions in order for that to work. The only thing I have done, and have always tried to do, is -- I knew, when Zack was doing Justice League, where she sort of ends up. So I always tried… like, I didn’t change her suit, because I never want to… I don’t want to contradict his films, you know? But yet, I have to have my own films, and he’s been very supportive of that. And so, I think that that Justice League was kind of an outlier. They were trying to turn one thing into, kind of, another. And so then it becomes, ‘I don’t recognize half of these characters. I’m not sure what’s going on'."

So while Patty Jenkins already tackles the Wonder Woman movies with a more self-contained approach rather than thinking too much about wider DCEU ties, she at least consulted with Zack Snyder about what he had planned for Diana Prince in Justice League, hence why she didn’t change Diana’s costume. However, Jenkins simply did not care for Joss Whedon’s version of Justice League, particularly because of the ways it contradicted with what she brought to the table in 2017’s Wonder Woman. Jenkins added that it was “hard” seeing Diana depicted in Justice League in a way that didn’t line up with how she envisioned the character.

I'm not surprised. Jenkins and Snyder worked together on Wonder Woman. I think that Snyder's reputation as a collaborator is what earns him all of this favor from his coworkers. He doesn't just tell people what to do; He works with them. I think that, ultimately, there are some negatives to this personality trait. Maybe he doesn't push back some other executive's ideas hard enough? Maybe too much, "sure, we can make it work"?

Regardless, the amount of positivity leading into The Snyder Cut is overwhelmingly delicious. A bright light, like the Bat-signal, in a dark sky of doubters and naysayers.

WarnerMedia said in a statement on Friday evening that it’s concluded its investigation into the set of “Justice League.”

“WarnerMedia’s investigation into the ‘Justice League’ movie has concluded and remedial action has been taken,” the statement reads.

It’s unclear what the “remedial action” entails, and WarnerMedia declined to give further details when pressed by Variety.

In August, Variety learned that WarnerMedia launched an investigation into the DC Comics movie after one of the film’s stars, Ray Fisher, publicly accused filmmaker Joss Whedon and producers Geoff Johns and Jon Berg of misconduct on the set.

People were comparing Fisher to other men who made unverifiable claims of racism, which was premature.

Others think that he sacrificed his career for "5 minutes of fame". Let's pretend that he has a difficult time getting work going forward. Isn't doing the 'right' thing worth it?

And then even more others are defending Whedon just because WB had executives demanding their bonuses. Sorry, but both parties are accountable. Poor leadership enables bad people to do bad things. If Whedon was a good man, then he wouldn't have exposed a toxic work environment.

HBO Max should give us a present and tell us the release date for this movie on Chris-mas. :cloud9: