• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

Verdict: Zack Snyder’s Justice League does an excellent job of telling an engrossing story on a gigantic scale while still spending time making you invested in every character. 8.5/10

After years of fans rallying against Warner Bros. for the original cut of ‘Justice League’, the day has finally come when that wish will be granted. HBO Max, WarnerMedia’s gigantic new streaming service, is giving fans four hours of pure, unfiltered Zack Snyder superhero content, and, despite the divisiveness of his previous movies, Zack Snyder bombastically fulfills on everything he promised this movie would be and then some.

The Good…
Director Zack Snyder is known for his unapologetic forays into the world of comic book movies, starting with an adaptation of Frank Miller’s 300 in 2008 and culminating with Justice League. Over the course of 13 years, Snyder has continually improved on his ability to make strikingly engrossing films, so engrossing that he developed a cult following devoted to his DC movies and overall career. Zack Snyder’s Justice League is no exception to this. It is Snyder at his best. To be able to structure a coherent 4-hour film that makes one not want to look away from the screen is a powerful ability and speaks volumes about how, despite elements that don’t always work, he can make almost every idea work on some level.image preview

The chemistry between the main cast members is one of the best parts of the film. Over the course of the 4-hour movie there are dozens of little moments between various Justice League members, and those are some of the most memorable parts. Particularly between Jason Momoa (Aquaman) and Ezra Miller (Flash), with Ben Affleck’s Batman and Gal Gadot’s Diana playing incredibly well off of everyone else. Affleck and Jared Leto (Joker) share one of the best scenes in the movie, a scene that will leave fans wanting to see more of this incarnation of the Caped Crusader and Clown Prince of Crime together. Jeremy Irons also once again steals the show as Bruce Wayne’s butler, Alfred. While not the father/son relationship that was billed at the heart of the movie, scenes with Miller’s Flash visiting his incarcerated father, played by Billy Crudup, were some of the most emotional in the film. With just a few scenes, it was clear their relationship is one filled with love but burdened with complexity that neither could discuss in full.

The Bad…
No film is without its flaws, but Snyder does so much right in this movie that it is unfortunate that these need to be discussed.

One thing that is very lacking in the movie is Aquaman. While the Trinity had the most screen time, and Flash and Cyborg were integral to the plot, Aquaman just sort of hung out and did badass stuff and said funny lines here and there. There was certainly room in the 4-hour runtime to include more of Momoa’s fantastic take on the character.

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Darkseid_Footwear.jpg.c2c32255be6c0670010dcf626ebf75fe.jpg

I want this shirt!

But I want the movie more ....... the JL deserves so much more than what Whedon did to it, so I am pumped to see the original vision for this movie! Crave better be dropping it on the 18th in Canada 🤞 I know they are supposed to - but just no advertising from them that I have seen. 

On 3/15/2021 at 6:13 AM, Oddball said:

Screen capture from iTunes. I never purchased this despite getting most of his movies. I have a feeling there’s going to be price drops soon. 

$9.99

$7.99

$4.99

Included with purchase of any WB movie

528693FA-AD4F-4B54-8247-277AD77544C5.jpeg

That didn’t take long. 

F15EE6AB-4D79-41A4-B771-B779416A5018.jpeg

Here is a good example of one of the negative reviews on RT I read. I’m all for negative reviews with good points and I respect her opinion here. But this bad review makes me hopeful. This is someone who liked the theatrical release and thinks Snyder actually cut his full version down to it. She disliked the running time for the Snyder Cut. I can almost sympathize that this movie reviewer had to sit in a theater for 4 hours. I’m not sure I could. This movie is perfect for home. With the option to pause and a bathroom that’s not fifty yards away. I plan on downloading it from HBO on Thursday and staying off this thread as I watch 45 minutes nightly for one week.

501484D2-9CD4-4C51-8E5E-C64E962BBECE.jpeg

The Telegraph

Overall Rating: 5.0/5 stars

The unwatchable 2017 comic-book calamity has been refashioned into one of the most spectacular superhero movies ever made. For as long as audiences want to see world events thwacked, socked and thunked onto a different course, the superhero film will continue to thrive. In the unsteady 21st century, progressive empowerment fantasies are big business, as the £16 billion and counting spent on Marvel movies at the global box office attests....

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Comic book writer Gail Simone was given early access.

I wrote what I wrote the other day about Zack Snyder, and today I began  seeing a bit of those rotten tomatoes reviews (can't remember the last time I did check RT). I thought ok here we go again. This is not about reviews, about box offices, about # of subscriptions, awards or money. This project is beyond all of that. This is about a retribution for everyone involved in the this project.

I'm not sure why but when I read this second tweet, I started to cry (I was surprised by my reaction). This is exactly what it's about. Its just for us. He and everyone else who put their time and work, did this for the fans. I hope everyone can put aside all the noise and just try and enjoy it.

31 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

and thank god for whoever was the first to say

#releasethesnydercut

:applause:

It's hard to tell who started this. Though a few like to lay claim to being first, and even going as far as to ask people to recognize their contributions. And even this statement from John Aaron Garza was repeated by multiple accounts at the very same time.

releasethesnydercut.PNG.87e3cba104a5e1e87a04e602f69e3603.PNG

But whomever kicked it off, the history itself is wild to hear about how we got here. To include fans paying to have a plane fly over Warner Bros. Studios to make it clear what they thought.

VARIETY: ‘Zack Snyder’s Justice League’ Review: The Director’s Four-Hour Cut Is Truly a New Film — and a Knockout

It takes an extraordinarily diverse skill set to direct a great comic-book movie. You’ve got to be a visual-effects wizard; a maestro of story and pace; a popcorn humanist who can find the relatable dimension of a bunch of freaks in capes and breastplates and spandex; and enough of an artist to tie the whole thing together into an indelible Big Vision. It’s no wonder that in the years since Hollywood got eaten alive by comic-book culture, the superhero movies that have achieved a genuine sweeping transcendence can just about be counted on one hand: “The Dark Knight,” “Spider-Man 2,” “Black Panther,” a few others.

To that hallowed list I would now add “Zack Snyder’s Justice League,” the thrillingly restored four-hour-long director’s-cut version of the 2017 DC Comics extravaganza. The new movie — and make no mistake, it really is a new movie — is more than a vindication of Snyder’s original vision. It’s a grand, nimble, and immersive entertainment, a team-of-heroes origin story that, at heart, is classically conventional, yet it’s now told with such an intoxicating childlike sincerity and ominous fairy-tale wonder that it takes you back to what comic books, at their best, have always sought to do: make you feel like you’re seeing gods at play on Earth.

It was online fans who first dubbed this project “the Snyder cut.” In March 2017, Snyder, after creative conflicts with the studio (and the suicide of his daughter), walked away from the film and saw it handed over to Joss Whedon, who rewrote and reshot more than half of it. In the minds of the Warner Bros. executives, still reeling from the bumpy launch of their DC multiverse, Snyder’s version was too long and too dark. Whedon chopped out the backstory, and a fair amount of the front story, swapping in jokes and glib patter and a kind of brightly lit gee-whiz aura. In other words, he churned out a hastily shot “audience friendly” version of “Justice League,” synced to the processed beats of corporate storytelling, that wound up pleasing next to no one.

Timing, they say, is everything, and there are two ways that the new “Justice League” turns out to be karmically well-timed. It’s premiering a year into the pandemic, which means that audiences have now gone for 12 months without experiencing the primal joys of high-flying fantasy escapism on the big screen. We’re starved for it, and though it’s true that “Justice League” will be seen, by and large, on HBO Max, the film is such a feast of bravura eye candy and emotionally serious spectacle that it seems to be delivering all the excitement we’ve been missing. As someone who has never been shy about dissing the global obsession with comic-book cinema, I found that the film totally tapped my inner fanboy. The four hours of it glide by in an addictive trance.

21 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Look at this donkey's review:

image.png.209cf144b4f20ac2ed1837d305e9e94d.png

Rinse, Repeat. Publish.

Many of these critics just dusted off their 2017 reviews, and added some 'Snyder hate' to their narrative.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Rinse, Repeat. Publish.

Many of these critics just dusted off their 2017 reviews, and added some 'Snyder hate' to their narrative.

Some of the RT reviews seem valid. They simply don't like what Snyder was going for. However, about half of them just seem pissy about the fact that this even exists.