• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

Part 1 complete. 37 minutes.

I was going to watch one part nightly for a week but that’s not going to happen. I’m not a big fan of BVS except for a few great scenes here and there. I am now compelled to stop watching JL until I go back through it. I have to note that I thought the first Wonder Woman movie was just fine. I had no desire to rewatch it. It was fine. The second movie didn’t work. Ok, it was bad. WW’s opening scene in JL Part 1 was spectacular. So far it is the best WW scene I’ve experienced. The bank scene is now a serious act instead of the one we saw before. What a difference some small specific changes can make in tone and the overall scene. I can now say Gadot is simply perfect as WW.

Then the big appearance and first battle scene. I’m speechless. The brutality and power on display. Just in complete awe. You get a real sense of sacrifice in that all or nothing fight. And wow, what a difference the soundtrack can make. I now fear the rest of this film can’t exceed this high point. Yes, I’m the glass half empty guy. Time to get back on this ride now.

Edited by Oddball

33 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Part 1 complete. 37 minutes.

I was going to watch one part nightly for a week but that’s not going to happen. I’m not a big fan of BVS except for a few great scenes here and there. I am now compelled to stop watching JL until I go back through it. I have to note that I thought the first Wonder Woman movie was just fine. I had no desire to rewatch it. It was fine. The second movie didn’t work. Ok, it was bad. WW’s opening scene in JL Part 1 was spectacular. So far it is the best WW scene I’ve experienced. The bank scene is now a serious act instead of the one we saw before. What a difference some small specific changes can make in tone and the overall scene. I can now say Gadot is simply perfect as WW.

Then the big appearance and first battle scene. I’m speechless. The brutality and power on display. Just in complete awe. I didn’t realize I was holding my breath. You get a real sense of sacrifice in that all or nothing fight. And wow, what a difference the soundtrack can make! I now fear the rest of this film can’t exceed this high point. Yes, I’m the glass half empty guy. Time to get back on this ride now.

I had to stop at Chapter 6 as a clean break in order to get ready for work.

Trust me. You will get all you desire up to that point. The story comes together so smoothly and powerfully all the way through. And all these characters blend into the story in a way it all makes logical sense.

:banana:

10 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Bro, did you pull an all-nighter!

Woke up at 3:45 I was so excited to see this. Still need to finish that final chapter sometime today. But the great thing is the story makes you excited to see it. Not forcing yourself.

:headbang:

I was bad and squeezed in Chapter 6 and The Epilogue while working on reports. OH.MY.LORD!!!

What a fantastic movie. And Zack was not kidding when he says he leaves us with some big cliffhangers. Wow!

:banana:

And one of the rumors of what takes place at the end of the battle in Chapter 6 were all true. That scene at the final boom tube - brutal but satisfying!

:headbang:

2 hours ago, Oddball said:

Another negative review on RT that was already predisposed to not enjoying it.

“Score one for the rabid #ReleaseTheSnyderCut folks: They essentially bullied Warner Brothers into putting up $70 million for Snyder to return to his unused footage, reshoot a bit-“

As I stated before I respect your opinion if you went in open-minded and did not like it. But when you start your review off like that I think your bias is showing. 

There are just as many positive reviews from people predisposed to liking it. That first batch of reactions where several people in a row were calling it a "masterpiece" with almost identical language was downright goofy with how coordinated it was. 

Hey, I hope it's good. But there are so many rabid fanboys personally invested in being proven right that I can't really believe any of this without seeing it for myself. 

Edited by Crimebuster

7 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

There are just as many positive reviews from people predisposed to liking it. That first batch of reactions where several people in a row were calling it a "masterpiece" with almost identical language was downright goofy with how coordinated it was.

Hey, I hope it's good. But there are so many rapid fanboys personally invested in being proven right that I can't really believe any of this without seeing it for myself. 

So if a number of people calling it very strong is well coordinated - but if they state it is negative with details that aren't even factual (Superman only appears for 5-10 minutes) they are potentially on-point?

If you read a few of the immediate negative Top Critics on RT, their main concern was it was too long and was just a bunch of deleted scenes thrown together. Length is hard to argue with. 'bunch of deleted scenes thrown together' is total BS now that I have viewed this. So the fan excitement in supporting this is probably shock and joy this is actually a very strong movie.

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Deep thoughts during intermission...

Besides the Earth in general, Driver Education programs in the DC Universe could use some rescuing, too.

If that's your 'deep thought' during intermission, I think you may be overly multi-tasking and not paying attention.

:baiting:

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

If that's your 'deep thought' during intermission, I think you may be overly multi-tasking and not paying attention.

:baiting:

No, I think automobile drivers in this universe are overly multi-tasking and not paying attention. Truck drivers have a duty to not worry about their lost breakfast biscuit and keep both hands on the wheel and eyes up. While Iris is making goo goo eyes at Barry, I'm like "Yo Iris, watch where you're driving!" I'm not sure who was at fault in the Stone's car accident, but somebody ran the hell out of  that stop light. Safety first, people. Arrive alive.

It's not a perfect movie , the soundtrack was one of my biggest disappointments , also some sketchy CGI .

But I did enjoy it and will see it again later this afternoon . 

Zack Snyder clearly can't tell a story in 2 hours , but that's ok by me cause I enjoy his movies . 

2 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Hey, I hope it's good. But there are so many rapid fanboys personally invested in being proven right that I can't really believe any of this without seeing it for myself. 

These are RT critics we are talking about. The ones approved on RT collectively have never been kind to any of Snyder’s movies. That’s why I am surprised the movie is close to 80%. I haven’t finished it yet but I wouldn’t call any comic book movie a masterpiece. If I had to, I would give that praise to The Dark Knight. 

Edited by Oddball

26 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Here's an example of a critic that has taken his dislike of Zack Snyder too far. Yet his reviews end up on Rotten Tomatoes: Jordan Hoffman.

He actually posted one time how Snyder deserved a bullet to the head for not using one of his favorite DC characters. He deleted it afterwards and then pretends he never posted this. But it actually was caught by quite a few people beforehand.

Jordan_Hoffman01.jpg.febee914e66dcf579a0c4d53c408aea4.jpg

Now he complains that the Snyder Cut was too long for him.

Jordan_Hoffman02.thumb.jpg.18cf6c89fb34c020ea8c7d1d6da47f05.jpg

His rationale? Because he feels only the MCU did it right. That Snyder dude - take him out back and eliminate him. :facepalm:

Jordan_Hoffman03.thumb.jpg.46fbbfd5c6f498bee292064f89f1d469.jpg

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

No, I think automobile drivers in this universe are overly multi-tasking and not paying attention. Truck drivers have a duty to not worry about their lost breakfast biscuit and keep both hands on the wheel and eyes up. While Iris is making goo goo eyes at Barry, I'm like "Yo Iris, watch where you're driving!" I'm not sure who was at fault in the Stone's car accident, but somebody ran the hell out of  that stop light. Safety first, people. Arrive alive.

Here we go again. Looking forward to your 'Asian jokes' and 'misogyny' concerns with the film. I count on it!

So drivers in these movies should pay attention? We need to make this a comic book genre focus. :baiting:

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So if a number of people calling it very strong is well coordinated - but if they state it is negative with details that aren't even factual (Superman only appears for 5-10 minutes) they are potentially on-point?

No, I didn't say that. I'm aware there are also people who have an axe to grind with Snyder as well. I'm responding because in this thread, I see a lot of people citing positive reviews as some kind of evidence that the movie is great, while dismissing negative reviews out of hand as biased. But the bias can go in both directions. That's all.