• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

Not sure how to phrase my thoughts. Overall, this was absolutely a solid movie, and I do think that Snyder's original vision would've been very good (which I wouldn't have said before the theatrical release). The positive: I definitely enjoyed it. I thought the scenes generally worked well together, and it flowed well from start to finish. I think even this...unusual feature is the best of Snyder's DCEU films, and the Knightmare dream at the end was much better than it's BVS counterpart. The addition of Darkseid and Desaad was excellent, especially for me as DCAU fan. The negative: It wasn't perfect, or amazing, or anything, and there were definitely scenes where I preferred the way Whedon implemented them (quippier dialogue, different visual presentation, etc.). The one I really didn't like was the terrorist scene at the beginning, which just felt unnecessarily violent to me (even if not extremely out of character). But that's really the biggest sore thumb to me in the movie; most of the rest of the violence seemed organic to the story, even if I didn't love it. I do think it went too long, but knowing that this was it, and that it wasn't a traditional theater release, makes that matter less to me--obviously a theatrical release in 2017 would've been ~half the runtime, and even still it didn't really drag at any point. I can pinpoint individual scenes I would cut, and I'm sure if you gave Snyder truth serum he could do the same, but whatever.

Made it up to chapter 5 for tonight probably finish it tomorrow. Definitely a better movie than the original cut, it certainly has all the trademarks of a Zack Snyder film both good and bad. I wouldn't say it drags anywhere as all the added exposition seems wholly necessary after watching the original, but it is a bit of a marathon to push through. Seems to me it could've been better served as two slightly looser 2 1/2 hour movies with overarching storylines, but we won't see that until they release the Directors Deluxe Ultimate Cut in another couple years lol

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Gonna save this before you edit it as it is the most positive DC movie review you have ever posted. Including Joker.

:baiting:

#no fighting dorks

3 quarters of the way through right now.  Have to say, I'm impressed.  Thought the hype was too tainted by fanboy fervor, but this is actually a very well executed movie.  May save the last part until tomorrow, but I've seen enough to want to buy the Blu-ray when it comes out. 

9 minutes ago, Oddball said:

That’s too bad you didn’t like it. Definitely not for everyone. What didn’t work for you? 

I'll be honest, I still have an hour to go to finish it but it just feels long to me.  Maybe if I hadn't already seen the theatrical I would be more invested but feels redundant.  There are some cool additions for sure and it looks great in 4k.  

1 minute ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I'll be honest, I still have an hour to go to finish it but it just feels long to me.  Maybe if I hadn't already seen the theatrical I would be more invested but feels redundant.  There are some cool additions for sure and it looks great in 4k.  

I guess that’s the complaint from a lot of people. I didn’t feel it. Maybe because I took two breaks to eat. I would be uncomfortable in a theater for 4 hours but this was perfect for me at home. 

Done.  Was long, but it went very quickly for me.  I'm thinking they probably should have just broke the movie up into 4 episodes so it would be easier for some folks to watch.  It's easy enough to just binge through them if one is so inclined.  The way the chapters were broke up, it would have been so easy to do so.  Anyway, this is the best DC movie I've seen in a while.  Definitely the most refined in my opinion.  Part of me thinks all the delays and turmoil with this film actually helped Snyder as it bought a lot of time to get his final vision polished.  

Halfway through, will certainly buy the UHD when it comes out.

The Good so far:

1. Flash is really a fun character. I liked him before but now I REALLY like him and can't wait for his own movie. (Fantastic sequence with Iris)

2. Loved the flash back scene with Darkseid. 

3. So much of the story is better filled in, the movie better has MUCH more weight.

The not so good:

1. Some CG a bit rough. (But not nearly as many shots as I was expecting)

2. A few too many slo mo's.

3. Some scenes seem to drag a bit long.

Still lightyears better than the first, and I can't wait to watch the rest with the family tomorrow.
One of my sons was very resistant about watching it. Saying it wasn't going to be very different. Well, after making wisecracks for the first 20 minutes even he settled down a bit and started getting into it.
Everyone here seems to love the Flash.

Edited by Rip