• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

Just now, fantastic_four said:

We don't even know total revenue because the studios never reveal the totals they rake in past the box office.

You are forgetting Box Office Mojo and The Numbers finalizes numbers based on what the studio reports/confirms. Budget is where things getting a little cloudy at times.

6 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

We don't even know total revenue because the studios never reveal the totals they rake in past the box office.

EXAMPLE: Box Office Mojo could not get a confirmation from Marvel Studios/Disney what Black Panther truly cost to make. So they removed the original estimate reported. But with Captain Marvel they did get confirmation.

BOM_MCU.PNG.4c31f37b0ce1c5e03b6be40482240d19.PNG

Sounds like getting a sequel would rely on HBO themselves stepping in to the studio politics fray, this could be a long wait before any formal announcement. By then WB will probably already be sweeping this one under the rug to announce other projects whilst pretending to ignore the online support for more.

In the meantime the repeat view of the film is going down well for me, enjoying lots of the little moments that improve pretty much every scene. 

Overall enjoyed it. I watched about one part per day, and it paced out well. I don't understand people complaining it's too long -- you know what you're signing up for. If you don't want four hours of this, why would you watch it??
I admit, the middle sagged a bit, especially all the exposition around stuff going on at Star Labs.
Also, both "set piece" battles with Steppenwolf seemed too stagey, and video-gamey.
Any time they're battling in a more "real world" environment, Snyder's action works better for me, like the battle with the psycho Superman.
Also, all the complaints are about Snyder's color palette are put to bed by the sixth part, which is very bright and colorful.
Like a stack of JLA comics, this movie is full of stuff to enjoy, analyze, nit-pick, and make fun of.
I don't think it's up there with the best Marvel movies, but it's certainly on par with the middle tier. For me it is about the same level as Thor Ragnarok.

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Cap, Thor, Iron Man, and the Avengers were B-list characters before the MCU films, and a case can be made for them being closer to C-list.  That's why Marvel didn't sell their film rights during bankruptcy--nobody wanted them.  I was surprised they were making films based upon them at all before Iron Man came out and blew everyone away.

I wasn't looking forward to Iron Man at all and was shocked as to how good it was.  Kevin Smith said the same, even as a fan of these characters he was also surprised they released these films based upon the lukewarm popularity of the characters at the time.  Hulk is the only Avenger who was a proven commodity which presumably is why Universal owned the distribution rights for him.

One thing I'm still unsure of is why Fox owned the rights to Daredevil but had passed on the Avengers.  Frank Miller's run certainly boosted his popularity so maybe that's why, but I never had the sense that Daredevil was more popular than most Avengers even at his height.

iron man made a lot of money though. thor a bit less. There are RDJ fans, and hemsworth is hot and good folks in the supporting cast. Evans is not as much of a hottie i suppose and his supporting cast wasn't selling tickets. Regardless of whether they were B listers, by the time cap and thor came along the MCU established credibility with Iron Man, so I dunno. 

with that said, all of those earlier movies were before the chinese market for this stuff exploded. ant man took in $100+ million from china (do the chinese think paul rudd is particularly handsome?). Cap 1 and Thor 1 (and even IM 1) barely took in anything. that has been huge.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hbo-max-subscriber-update

i wonder what the bump was in mid-march?

i dunno, if a hollywood calibre movie every 2-3 months and some other decent shows in between (HBO clearly needs its next Game of Thrones) is enough to gain them, let's say, an extra 50 million subscribers (globally), at $15 a month.. that is $9 billion. That budgets a lot of movies.

$180 a year for HBO Max is more than I ever spend on going to DC movies in a year, including 2 kids, and they only keep like 1/3 - 1/2 of that.

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

These characters were never C-list and even B-list (kind of known - maybe) ignores all the Marvel Comics collateral and marketing used to expand their names/teams. And this includes all the cartoons and animated films used to push these brand names wherever they could be distributed. Just now due to the massive success of the MCU they are A+ list (EVERYONE knows who they are - not just comic book fans).

The Avengers weren't B list, even if individually some of the stars might be such. As a group they were A list. Hulk was sort of A-list and he can't carry a movie.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

The Avengers weren't B list, even if individually some of the stars might be such. As a group they were A list. Hulk was sort of A-list and he can't carry a movie.

They were b-list until the movie came out. X-Men was always the A-listers. 

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

"My Batman doesn't curse!" (:

This is a very stupid thing to nitpick on.  A Batman who's gone to hell and back and is not surviving in a dystopian future would absolutely curse.  I mean, he proclaims he's "the G-dd-mn Batman" in Miller's universe.  So of course I'd expect him to use the F word in this scenario.  Mark Hughes comparison to Logan is laughable though.  Logan's characterization exudes beer, cigars, and dirty pubs.  He'd absolutely cuss.  No one complains about the cussing in Logan because it's absolutely within character.  Batman has rarely crossed that line, nor has he ever shown that to be in his nature (part of the billionaire playboy personification I guess).

17 minutes ago, D84 said:

Before the movie came out they had many avengers titles running concurrently and a very popular cartoon series (and other avengers cartoons). I think you are misremembering. There is room on the A list for a decent number of folks. Iron Man having had some cartoons (outside the 1966 one) in the past probably made the movie an easier sell. Cap and Thor were always stiff in the cartoons.

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

Before the movie came out they had many avengers titles running concurrently and a very popular cartoon series (and other avengers cartoons). I think you are misremembering. There is room on the A list for a decent number of folks. Iron Man having had some cartoons (outside the 1966 one) in the past probably made the movie an easier sell. Cap and Thor were always stiff in the cartoons.

Yes, other characters were A-list, but the team The Avengers weren't.

8 minutes ago, D84 said:

Yes, other characters were A-list, but the team The Avengers weren't.

I am going to disagree. In the few years leading up to the Avengers movie at any given time there were 3-5+ different Avengers titles in publication and the avengers books were among the top sellers. https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2010/2010-03.html   and the cartoon was very popular. Sure, in 1991-1993 Avengers were a second fiddle title.

I enjoy the MCU like anyone else.

But when this myth-building develops of 'little Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and Thor were lifted up from the lower rung that was blocking them by bigger characters' - what bigger characters were out there for Marvel other than Spider-Man and the X-Men as a team?

Even the 1966 cartoons were made up of Thor, Captain America, Hulk and Iron Man. And even little Namor.

And whether it was FOOM or other reader marketing, all these characters covered the material throughout. Even in 1973.

Foom1973.jpg.9807d8dd5cd5e0f43dcf8ff823a12a80.jpg

Even for the Bicentennial the Marvel team had Captain America all over the TV and marketing. To include the 1976 Calendar. And that calendar was all over the place as I would go to any regular bookstore and you would find it displayed as soon as you walked in as a hot ticket item.

Marvel-1976-Calendar.jpg.7ce497d88497588a44370d3f4c42e19d.jpg

B and C-List? I have to disagree.

Salon reviewers are usually harsh on comic book films.

Now that I've seen it I can honestly say I'm glad I did.

"Zack Snyder's Justice League" shows Snyder's evolution from a director known for emphasizing style over substance to a man who understands why we love superhero myths, whether they live in the DC Universe or Marvel's.

The simplest reason is that they're grand, colorful and explosive, everything we want in action movies. Comic arcs connect via cliffhangers, the very commodity that makes studios desirous to keep making them.

Snyder's take affirms this with a suspenseful ending that sees beyond anything previously done in a DC live-action property, expanding the canvas beyond Gotham, Metropolis or even the world as we know it. (His proposed sequel looks dark, no two ways about it. And I'd love to see it.)

Why, it is as if Snyder's version was edited to present his film as he meant it to be and say something about the man who mucked it up in the first place.

It's not that – at least, I can't imagine Snyder confirming that interpretation. He doesn't need to. His "Justice League" do-over speaks loudly and for itself . . . and for now, on its own. Snyder recently told Deadline that Warner Bros considers the 2017 edition to the official version; his cut is considered to be an "outworld non-canon version."

Studios respond to success and demand, and that "Zack Snyder's Justice League" exists is already a victory for the fans and an argument that superhero movies can also be powerful treatises on humanity too. If we get a sequel out of it, booyah . . . and for the record, a two-hour runtime is more than enough to fulfill that mission.

Not this time!

2 hours ago, D84 said:
2 hours ago, the blob said:

Unless you're splitting the hair of A+, A++, A+++, B+, etc listers like Cinemascore does.  I was using the classic Hollywood A-list, B-list, C-list scale.  Anyone who thinks any Avenger was on the same level as Spider-Man or the X-Men is discussing something else entirely.