• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:

It didn't have any added dramatic or emotional effect on you? I personally thought it was well-used in Cyborg's backstory. It helped the scene breathe as far as understanding Victor's pain. 2c

We must agree to disagree on this one!

Yup, all good, I just want minimal use of slo-mo except with Flash where it’s very appropriate. Snyder’s slo-mo annoys me like Abrams lens flare in Star Trek.

2 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Yup, all good, I just want minimal use of slo-mo except with Flash where it’s very appropriate. Snyder’s slo-mo annoys me like Abrams lens flare in Star Trek.

We can no longer agree to disagree. Let's meet in the parking lot. :sumo:

2 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I get it in that the scenes may not work for everyone. Even with the first Wonder Woman when she is fighting the German squad in the house some complained about the slo-mo scenes. But like has been noted, at times it is meant for you to take in the full depth and breadth of the actions you are witnessing on the screen. Otherwise, people complain about 'blink and you missed it' scenes.

Not that you should be forced to enjoy them all. Just sharing how I take this cinematography approach.

There are definitely scenes that were slowed-down that do not need to be. Cyborg's is not one of those IMO. I'm starting to appreciate some of the scenes that I thought should be played at normal speed, now, though. Like some of the Wonder Woman stuff.

15 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

We can no longer agree to disagree. Let's meet in the parking lot. Merced, California :sumo:

Fixed that for you courtesy of card collector and our forum's own Adam Lui 

When it comes to Slo-Mo or any other tool in filmmaking there are two questions.

• How will it serve the story?
  • Does it distract from the scene or make the scene better? 

When I think of instances where it succeeds?

• Quicksilver in the X-Men movies. 
  • The walking scene in Reservoir Dogs 

I think that Justice League Flash slow mo heavily picks up the cues of Quicksilver and that is not a bad thing.  That opening scene with the dogs and the car crash demonstrates how Flash sees the world and how easy it is for him to navigate through it.

But... not every fight scene has to have that slow motion lunge.  Is it overuse?  It depends on the character and the frequency. 

Justice League director Zack Snyder details his planned SnyderVerse spin-off about the Snyder Cut's Ryan Choi (Zheng Kai), who goes on to become the Chinese superhero known as the Atom.

Kai, whose role as a S.T.A.R. Labs scientist was cut from the theatrical version of Justice League released into theaters in 2017, would have led a China-set DC Comics adaptation with a Chinese cast and international appeal. The Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice filmmaker envisioned The Atom spinning out of his definitive version of Justice League, where Kai's role is restored as a nanotechnology expert and colleague of Dr. Silas Stone (Joe Morton).

"I had always had this idea that we would make a movie, the Ryan Choi movie, an Atom movie in China, with Chinese-English and Chinese language," Snyder told Beyond the Trailer. "I think that, frankly, I think Netflix is really good at this. We've just done it with the Army of the Dead prequel, Army of Thieves, where it's an English, and French, and German movie."

An Atom movie is the kind of thing that is now years away whilst DC films go about their various re-boot attempts etc.

It's funny when you think of all the stories and plans that were in place way back in 2016; the JL trilogy building up to the grand finale vs Darkseid, setting up Cyborg to be a major player for his own film, Green Lantern teases that could easily have led into the GL Corps franchise, setting up the New Gods ideas for a Jack Kirby cosmic epic, The Atom coming through on the international stage....

And this was all prior to Marvel hitting it big with Infinity War, Black Panther and even the upcoming Eternals that is likely to do well. 

1 hour ago, RickSp said:

An Atom movie is the kind of thing that is now years away whilst DC films go about their various re-boot attempts etc.

It's funny when you think of all the stories and plans that were in place way back in 2016; the JL trilogy building up to the grand finale vs Darkseid, setting up Cyborg to be a major player for his own film, Green Lantern teases that could easily have led into the GL Corps franchise, setting up the New Gods ideas for a Jack Kirby cosmic epic, The Atom coming through on the international stage....

And this was all prior to Marvel hitting it big with Infinity War, Black Panther and even the upcoming Eternals that is likely to do well. 

Marvel: "They didn't really like The Incredible Hulk. What do we do?"
Feige: "Stay the course. Patience is a virtue."

DC: "BvS was divisive. What do we do?"
WB: "Panic! Scrap all the plans! Where's that director at? Do a 180!"

It was all there for the taking. The diversity and epic storytelling that everyone wants now.

Even for those that didn't necessarily like BvS, the other films would of had other directors on board to bring their style too but it would at least be a coherent universe. And if they'd nailed the Flashpoint multiverse arc then WB could of continued with the likes of Matt Reeves Batman etc and it would look like a well thought out plan to allow these other stories to be told.

Going back to JL2 and 3 now would probably come across to lot of movie goers as a copy of the Endgame plot; time travel to fix the big defeat and bring everyone together for a showdown. In my opinion this would of better suited DC characters anyway with the history they have with the Flash and alternate timelines. Don't get me wrong, I loved Endgame as I'm a big Marvel fan but the time travel aspect was the main thing I didn't like about the film. It should of been something else they came up with to fix the problem.

16 hours ago, RickSp said:

I wonder if the 'Justice is Grey' version would come with it or if that's going to an alternative option. It still hasn't come to the streaming service over here in the UK...

If the Grey version is included, I’ll buy it on iTunes.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I'm sure that somebody might have already said this but I'm too lazy to go back to read the previous posts...BUT...

...this is still a bad movie.  Better...but still bad.

***Finally got my username/password to work again!

I can respect that you didn’t like it. It’s not for everyone. BvS didn’t win me over but this one did. And I really despised the theatrical release of JL.

5 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I'm sure that somebody might have already said this but I'm too lazy to go back to read the previous posts...BUT...

...this is still a bad movie.  Better...but still bad.

***Finally got my username/password to work again!

Glad to see you found your way back.

Bummer the movie didn't work for you.

During this past weekend's Justice Con event, both Snyder and Terrio appeared in a Justice League panel. One of the interesting tidbits to emerge from the discussion was that Terrio felt some apprehension about having the Flash travel through time in the film. "I thought, can you introduce that new concept so late in the film?" Terrio explained. He then went on to point out that the Flash's earlier scene with his father Henry (Billy Crudup) was filled with time travel-related hints. What really clinched it for Terrio, though, was seeing the time travel moment in the finished Snyder Cut:

"But then I saw the finished cut, and it's just transcendent, I thought. When the Flash turns back time, it's just pure cinema. Because on the page, I didn't even know how you could write that, and that's how you know you're experiencing real cinema. Because I couldn't have described what that is, I couldn't imagine it, but Zack created it."

:applause: