• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

To complete Zack Snyder's Justice League's first Martian Manhunter scene, Snyder had to direct the actors over Zoom. With the release of this new Justice League, Snyder's DCEU vision has been restored, albeit temporarily. The director famously departed production midway through due to a family tragedy, and the resulting cut that was largely overseen by Joss Whedon was torn apart by fans and critics alike. Thanks to relentless fan enthusiasm, though, the famed Snyder Cut of Justice League has finally been sent out into the world, and fans have spent the past week or so since its HBO Max release breaking down all the major developments.

Much of what audiences see in the 4-hour cut was filmed years ago, but Snyder still needed to conduct some reshoots last fall to ensure he was making the exact movie he wanted. The new Justice League reshoots weren't anything too extensive, and they largely pertained to the Knightmare scene that appears during the epilogue. There were some complications to this; Ezra Miller was filming Fantastic Beasts 3 in England, and the coronavirus pandemic still presented its own difficulties. Nevertheless, Snyder finished the scenes he wanted to.

Snyder recently sat down for an interview with Kyle McMahon and discussed his Justice League and the future plans he had for the DCEU. When talking about last year's reshoots, Snyder touched upon the strangeness of directing people over Zoom and even admitted the movie's surprise Martian Manhunter (Harry Lennix) reveal - where the alien is revealed to be masquerading as Martha Kent (Diane Lane) after speaking to Lois Lane (Amy Adams) - had to be completed via Zoom. Snyder said:

"We had to do it over Zoom because [Miller's] in England and I couldn’t travel, so we just did it over Zoom. I only needed a couple of shots of him, but that was pretty crazy. I'd never done that. I did Diane Lane the same way for her little [bit], where she comes out and does her Martian Manhunter cameo. That shot where she comes out the door and looks around, that shot we didn't have, so I had to get that."

I thought I posted about this already, but maybe I didn't? If I'm repeating myself, please flog me with a wet noodle.

I sat down and watched all four hours of this thing last week. While there aren't enough drugs on earth to make me think it was a GOOD movie, there's no question it's a BETTER movie than the theatrical version, and the previous Snyder DC flicks, which I really hated. By a country mile. It's not even close. So, that's something, right?

Steppenwolf, while still a hideously goofy looking CGI abomination, seemed to have more development, which made him somewhat more interesting. It's still a nothing story about chasing down Macguffins (usually a big fan of movies filled with "mother boxes", but this was something else entirely), but at least I found him, and therefore his quest, a little more interesting in this go round. It was also an improvement to actually give Cyborg something to do, and I always enjoy seeing Joe Morton in stuff, so that's nice. Gal Gadot, god bless her, can't give a line reading to save her life, but physically embodies the strength and beauty of Diana pretty much perfectly, so she gets a pass. I hate the Flash costume, I don't care for the Flash guy, but whatever, who cares? And Khal Drogo is fine as Aquaman, but it's a waste, because dude was clearly born to play LOBO!

I have no beef with Ben Affleck either. I don't think he's a bad actor or a bad Batman. My problem is his ridiculous looking costume. Whenever Batman shows up, it's like the Michelin Man waddled into frame. I couldn't hold in my laughter when he "fights". Bwahahaha. Why they make him so THICC?? Damn, Batman got curves. You would think that after 30+ years of Batman features, they'd finally give one of these guys a costume that would allow them to turn their heads, but nah. We don't have that technology. Sorry Ben. You tried.

The Superman guy, on the otherhand, fills out his trunks nicely, and I'll admit I've always liked Superman's dumb black costume. Looks good on film. The character still has/does nothing, and serves no purpose, but still LOOKS cool. And that's what matters here, right? Stuff looking cool?

Apparently this thing was so long because we needed lingering tracking shots over landscapes and architecture set to a Nick Cave soundtrack. Seriously, not one, but TWO Nick Cave songs? Does Nick Cave know about this? Surely it would make him frown more than usual. And that would be amusing. It's so perverse that I had to admire it. I mean, that's not something I expected at all, I had to giggle, as it was so jarring. All I really want from a movie these days is to be surprised, and that definitely snapped my head around. So, kudos for that?

Also, we had to listen to those ladies sing about Aquaman in some made up language, like he's Mothra or something.

:What's that? I'm being told that they were from Iceland, and therefore their language actually exists. Likely story!:

Things I liked other than the bizarro music cues and thinking about Nick Cave being bewildered when he receives this particular royalty check? Well, the big final fight was kinda cool. And the Amazon fight was kinda cool too. Despite his other limitations, Zack Snyder actually does know how to choreograph clear action. He's no Michael Bay, and that's a good thing, because Michael Bay is the debbil. He's like the anti-Michael Bay. He does that slow-mo/bullet time deal as well as or better than anyone, and can create some pretty cool images that way. No fast cutting, and I do admire that. So, I'd say those two big set pieces were definitely the highlight of the flick, but neither of them were worth the three hours that transpire between them. I had to fight the urge to check my phone for most of the running time. That may be a personal issue.

I also enjoyed the epilogue stuff, which hinted at a much more interesting film than the one we just saw. 

At the end of the day, I didn't love it, or even really like it, but who cares? People should like what they like. I don't think any of you are wrong or dumb for liking it, but there's clearly something about these movies that I just straight up do not get. And that's ok too. 

Zack Snyder's Justice League: thumbs sideways, zero out of no stars, participation trophy awarded to all involved. Now excuse me while I prepare to watch a proper FILM. As a high falutin' cinema lover, I'm keenly interested in this upcoming, small arthouse feature, Godzilla vs Kong.

18 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

lol

Michael Bay's Titanic: The Movie

MichaelBay01.gif.164d37bfca7b18ba4691794e2fd03381.gif

Getting off topic here but I listened to a podcast today about the Titanic. Apparently when adjusted for inflation, the movie Titanic cost half of what it was to actually build the real ship 🤓

7 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Getting off topic here but I listened to a podcast today about the Titanic. Apparently when adjusted for inflation, the movie Titanic cost half of what it was to actually build the real ship 🤓

All I know is there is a site that is all about 'What if Michael Bay made THAT movie...' and people submit GIFs of their recommendations. There is some funny stuff in there.

MichaelBay02.gif.d6ff8f7e48b1f6c543e5207bf9e2ff48.gif

MichaelBay03.gif.b3f56160f7ddb15c0f817f7065d88f44.gif

MichaelBay04.gif.fb8d4feb7ecaff2c10b26a8d3f65307f.gif

Edited by Bosco685

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Steppenwolf, while still a hideously goofy looking CGI abomination, seemed to have more development, which made him somewhat more interesting.

I thought the CGI was flawless and intricate as I started noticing how the armor shifted and reacted depending on what state he was in. 

Gal Gadot, god bless her, can't give a line reading to save her life, but physically embodies the strength and beauty of Diana pretty much perfectly, so she gets a pass.

I agree. I’ve posted the same thing about Scarlett as Black Widow, they need to team up and do Othello on Broadway.

I hate the Flash costume,

Me too.

I don't care for the Flash guy, but whatever, who cares?
He’s growing on me though initially not a fan. He needs better lines.

And Khal Drogo is fine as Aquaman, but it's a waste, because dude was clearly born to play LOBO!

You nailed it. It has been said often here and I’m sure on many other nerd boards.

I have no beef with Ben Affleck either. I don't think he's a bad actor or a bad Batman. My problem is his ridiculous looking costume. Whenever Batman shows up, it's like the Michelin Man waddled into frame. I couldn't hold in my laughter when he "fights". Bwahahaha. Why they make him so THICC?? Damn, Batman got curves. You would think that after 30+ years of Batman features, they'd finally give one of these guys a costume that would allow them to turn their heads, but nah. We don't have that technology. Sorry Ben. You tried.

Man I love the costume and how he wears it. Because I love DKR. He can be ugly and thick. I may be in the minority. Although The Dark Knight is the benchmark for comic book films, I always hated the costume there.

Too tired to break it up further but I think most of us are in agreement with the singing. Aquaman should of yelled “SHUT UUUP!” as he waded into the water. Like he’s tired of hearing it every single time he visits.

I did not need that Epilogue at all. Should have shaved that off and added it as an extra scene to watch in Special Features. It’s a cool scene that didn’t need to be tacked on to the end. End it with Superman running down the alley opening his shirt.

All in all there’s a perfect 3.5 hour movie in there which I loved. 

14 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I thought I posted about this already, but maybe I didn't? If I'm repeating myself, please flog me with a wet noodle.

I sat down and watched all four hours of this thing last week. While there aren't enough drugs on earth to make me think it was a GOOD movie, there's no question it's a BETTER movie than the theatrical version, and the previous Snyder DC flicks, which I really hated. By a country mile. It's not even close. So, that's something, right?

Will do!

:makepoint:

Batman was in prime shape for these movies. Blame his workout routine and not the suit. :baiting:

7 hours ago, Oddball said:

Too tired to break it up further but I think most of us are in agreement with the singing. Aquaman should of yelled “SHUT UUUP!” as he waded into the water. Like he’s tired of hearing it every single time he visits.

I did not need that Epilogue at all. Should have shaved that off and added it as an extra scene to watch in Special Features. It’s a cool scene that didn’t need to be tacked on to the end. End it with Superman running down the alley opening his shirt.

All in all there’s a perfect 3.5 hour movie in there which I loved. 

Yup. As I mentioned before: Trim some scenes, and remove some of the excess slo-mo, and you have a proper Director's Cut in there. There's probably a decent 3-hour theatrical cut in there.

7 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Blame his workout routine and not the suit.

True that Affleck was in good shape for the film and likely expanded on his workout regimen from “the town “ .Rossano Rea, bodybuilder / gym owner trainer was the mold for TDK where allegedly Henry Cavill IS the Superman mold.

3 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Will do!

:makepoint:

Batman was in prime shape for these movies. Blame his workout routine and not the suit. :baiting:

As long as I get to blame someone!

And watch it with that noodle!

Between the release of the Snyder Cut and Godzilla Versus Kong, HBO Max is now the #1 downloaded itunes app.

612827286_Screenshot_20210401-0626252.thumb.png.74b355baaa74f19e11cf100a835ebbb9.png

The trending started mid-March with a massive spike-up in downloads.

1702823993_Screenshot_20210401-0555192.thumb.png.5655874a280537ab145c543e43dfb7f8.png

If you don’t like Ben Affleck as Batman, I challenge you to read this article. It may change your perspective and give you a new appreciation for Affleck’s take on the Dark Knight. By now, I feel like most DC movie fans have seen Zack Snyder’s Justice League. It premiered over a week ago, and it’s still dominating conversations across fandom. Snyder’s director’s cut of the 2017 movie has given us another installment in the Dark Knight’s cinematic saga, which has given me plenty to reflect on.

Many actors have played Batman across radio, television, stage, animation and more, but Ben Affleck is one of only six men to portray the Dark Knight in a live action movie (That number increases to eight if you count the Golden Age serials). It’s a very exclusive club and each actor has brought something special to the role. Adam West was iconic and fun, Michael Keaton was grim yet vulnerable, Val Kilmer dove deep into Bruce’s psyche, George Clooney was compassionate and nurturing and Christian Bale redefined heroism for 21st century cinema.

Next year, Robert Pattinson will give us one more, building on everything his predecessors have done, while offering his own unique spin on the Caped Crusader. This leaves me to wonder, though, how will we remember Ben Affleck? Decades from now, how will fans reflect on Affleck’s stint behind the cowl? Affleck embodied the Dark Knight in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, came back for a cameo in Suicide Squad, returned for 2017’s Justice League and filmed a new sequence for Zack Snyder’s Justice League, which also included hours of previously unseen footage from the original production. That’s four movies depending on how you count them, which is actually a record for a live action Batman, and 2022’s The Flash will only bolster it even further. So, he definitely had the opportunity to make his mark, but what kind of Batman was he?

If you were to base it off of a cursory look at his debut in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the easy answer would seem to be DARK. But pay attention to the opening scene where Bruce Wayne is running through Metropolis during Superman’s battle with Zod. Everyone is fleeing from the carnage, but Bruce is running towards it. There’s nothing he can do to stop the buildings from falling and he doesn’t have a chance of getting anywhere near Zod, but Bruce doesn’t care. He’s running towards trouble because he wants to help people. Even if he can’t save everyone, he’s never going to stop trying. It’s built into his DNA. That opening immediately nailed a fundamental fact about Batman and Ben wasn’t even wearing the costume.

If Batman seems out of character to you in that movie, it’s because he’s supposed to. This isn’t the story of the Dark Knight in his prime, this is a movie about a grizzled veteran who has become disillusioned with his mission. It’s not easy to watch our heroes fall, and Ben Affleck’s performance sells that heartbreak for us. It takes Superman getting through to him to change things. There’s a lot to say about the controversial Martha moment (I plan to do a deep dive on that in a future article), but the important thing is, Superman reminded Batman of his original purpose. When the Man of Steel died fighting Doomsday, the sacrifice deeply affected Batman and he was determined to make sure that everything that Superman stood for would live on.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was always meant to be only part of the story and now that Zack Snyder’s Justice League has been released, we can see how the rest of Bat-fleck’s arc played out. His first movie was about a broken man who finds a renewed sense of hope and the follow-up is about him using that renewed sense of hope to save the world.  When you lay the arc out like that, it seems pretty amazing doesn’t it? When ZSJL begins, Batman has learned from his failures and is determined to set things right. He does this by recruiting a team of heroes, reviving Superman, and ultimately saving the world from Steppenwolf.

A heck of a case for why Ben Affleck's Batman was very relevant to the story told by Zack Snyder.