• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, RickSp said:

Did you ever read those leaked storyboards from about 5 or 6 years ago? Lots of cool stuff in there but also some crazy ideas that I know Snyder has since said he would change.

Apart from a few of the ideas they would surely need to do a full re-write and remove any parallels with IW/Endgame.

10 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

The time-travel parallels to Avengers would be inevitable. The reasons and outcomes are different, though. But, yeah, I've seen most/all of the leaked stuff. I just want to see his vision truly completed. I love all of these live-action character and story adaptations.

Where the Snyder plan was going to lead to a China-produced Atom/Ryan Choi film was ahead of this new 'diversity push' from other studios to appeal to international markets.

Zack Snyder Reveals ‘Justice League’ Atom Spinoff Movie Idea He Pitched WB

His also wanting to line up the Green Lantern Corps with a Kilowog and John Stewart appearance back in 2017 (which was rumored even back then) is another missed opportunity.

Both John Stewart & Kilowog Originally Visited Batman At The End Of Justice League

So with the zany concepts (Bruce having a relationship with Lois), he had many other ideas that led to Aquaman and Wonder Woman as successful films. Along with Cyborg and Flash back then.

Earlier this year, fans finally got to watch the full, unabridged version of Zack Snyder's Justice League, just the way the filmmaker had intended... sort of. As Snyder explained post his film's release, Warner Bros. had him remove the appearance of Green Lanterns Kilowog and John Stewart from their scene at the end opposite Bruce Wayne. Snyder also revealed that Wayne T. Carr had been cast in the role of John Stewart. In a recent interview, Carr revealed that even when he was filming, Snyder had told him it was going to be tricky to get Warner to let him be in the final cut of the movie.

"[Zack] said, 'We're going to shoot it, we'll see what the studio says. This is kind of crazy because we shot it in what I'm going to call 'Driveway Studios.' He called me after he showed it to everyone, I think it was the second time because they had watched it in parts. He was like, 'They're not letting me do this thing.'"

As it turns out, Snyder's plans did not gel with Warners', since the studio is currently developing aGreen Lantern miniseries. Thus, Snyder was told to take the scene featuring John Stewart out of his movie. Instead, the filmmaker opted to replace Stewart and Kilowog with the Martian Manhunter. According to Wayne T. Carr, even though he never got to be a part of the film, fans have been very supportive of his casting as the DCEU's Green Lantern.

"When I saw the full vision, I went through the journey like everybody went through the journey. Towards the end I realized, 'Ugh. I'm not a part of this. Darn. The thing that kind of just warmed my heart was once all of the concept art and stuff started to drop, it's been nothing but love from the fans, man. Like, I wasn't even in the movie, and I'm just getting positive feedback from people and support. It's super crazy. It's absolutely crazy, but I love it."

Get ready for the #SnyderCut as Zack Snyder’s Justice League goes straight to Number 1 on the Official Film Chart on digital downloads only.

The new release lands 9,000 sales ahead of its closest competition, fellow DCEU film and former six-week Number 1 holder, Wonder Woman 1984 (2). Originally released in March 2021 on Sky Cinema, Zack Snyder’s Justice League is an extended cut of 2017 film Justice League which clocks in at four hours long.

Its release follows a long fan campaign to release the ‘Snyder Cut’ of Justice League after Joss Whedon took over directing the film’s theatrical version when Snyder departed following a family bereavement.

WBUK seem to actually have people interested in promoting the film.

Shame WB over the other side of the pond are still burying it. I saw they released the 4K trailer for josstice league instead... a trailer that actually makes no sense anyway as it uses footage from both versions but is essentially promoting the 2017 film...

The comments and dislikes on that video are pretty funny though.

17 minutes ago, RickSp said:

WBUK seem to actually have people interested in promoting the film.

Shame WB over the other side of the pond are still burying it. I saw they released the 4K trailer for josstice league instead... a trailer that actually makes no sense anyway as it uses footage from both versions but is essentially promoting the 2017 film...

The comments and dislikes on that video are pretty funny though.

I had heard that 2017 4K trailer is getting stomped.

JL4K.thumb.JPG.2edf3c7ab677e85a90308d257cdaf2e8.JPG

But even Wonder Woman had to stop to confirm how bad it was.

(:

Oddly enough, the viewing numbers keep going up due to word of mouth marketing. The same company data being used by non-fans of the Snyder Cut is now stating it actually has turned out to be a hit for HBO Max.

The Snyder Cut On HBO Max: Real Numbers Revealed! Smash Hit!

The Snyder Cut was a smash hit on HBO Max, watched by 3.7 million households in its first 39 days. Warner Bros. hid The Snyder Cut numbers from fans, who continue speculating in the dark about how it did. In fact, AT&T Analyst and Investor Day on March 12 disappointed many because it didn’t solve the mystery of The Snyder Cut numbers.

The viewer tracker application Samba TV received significant attention for being the first to publish any sort of Snyder Cut numbers. Samba TV Senior Director Dr. Jeffrey Silverman appeared with YouTube personality Syl Abdul and I to discuss the latest data. In short, Zack Snyder’s Justice League exploded on HBO Max.

Silverman revealed that: "The Snyder Cut beat almost every other movie we looked at [upon its release on HBO Max.]"

In fact, only Disney Plus’ Soul and HBO Max’ Wonder Woman 1984 topped it in its first 30 days. However, Soul and Wonder Woman 1984 were both entirely new films that had billion-dollar potential at the theatrical box office. Moreover, they were both launched on Christmas when families gathered together at home.

The Snyder Cut wasn’t expected to reach their highs.

179849209_472522887422537_6026733840905350571_n-1.jpg.04ac18953c0a1ca2d9d7b5dccd46e5d0.jpg

Furthermore, Wonder Woman 1984 started to level off on its third day. The Snyder Cut, on the other hand, moved upward.

I asked Silverman if this was due to positive word-of-mouth towards The Snyder Cut, and he agreed. After all, Wonder Woman 1984 polarized fans and critics. Its longevity was already in question when the lackluster reviews poured in.

• How Samba TV tracks data - 3:19
  • Scale up projection analytics utilized - 5:03
  • "Justice is Gray" tracked? - 7:34
  • UK love - 14:38
  • SnyderCut opening weekend compared to other streaming programs  - 16:00
  • SnyderCut vs WW84 - 23:19
  • How to obtain Samba TV charts - 29:38
  • Was SnyderCut a real 'SUCCESS'? - 38:31

Edited by Bosco685

One heck of a data analytics study that confirms for even the most hardcore non-fans using any data to prove the Snyder Cut failed is the way HBO Max is packaged up without specific promo codes it doesn't allow to specifically detemine which movie caused a specific bump in growth. Other than timing which even that is touched on in the article as not so easy.

HBO Max numbers

HBO and HBO Max subscribers went up to 44.2 million in Q1 2021. This implied a growth in subscriptions of 6.5% compared to Q4 2020, and an annual growth of 33.5 percent when compared to Q1 in 2020. One can do a finer breakdown of these numbers with more detail and also compare it to the performance from other streaming platforms. In fact, Luiz Fernando on twitter analyzed this breakdown against competitors and also differentiated between subscribers who upgraded to HBO Max, HBO Max retail subscribers, HBO subscribers in the US, HBO subscribers overseas, and total domestic and global combined HBO and HBO Max subscribers.

Another alternative is to also try to implicitly compare it to what financial markets expected these numbers to be. Many financial economists, including myself, choose this alternative to analyze whether some news was good or bad for certain companies. In this case, if these numbers implied good news for HBO Max, one should expect the AT&T stock price to go up immediately after the release of these numbers. Otherwise, its stock price should stay the same or if these numbers are bad or underwhelming for investors, the stock price should decline.

So, what happened to the AT&T stock price after the release of these numbers? On Thursday April 22, after the close of the market AT&T stock was up by almost four percent. We can also compare this performance to the recently released Q1 2020 by Netflix. In comparison, Netflix stock price went down more than seven percent after this release.

NFLXAT.thumb.jpg.14faf2c8d25d24716793351f636009d2.jpg

Are Q1 2021 subscription numbers due to ‘Zack Snyder’s Justice League?’

However, even if we had that data, we would not have a definitive answer. There might be subscribers that signed up because all of these movies and not a single one. This is clearly a problem for the data of Q4 2020 where you cannot confidently say that it was only about “WW1984.” Many people might have signed for the same day release of movies for 2021 that was announced during that quarter. There also might be many people signing in March for the combined possibility of watching “the Snyder Cut” + ”Godzilla vs Kong” + ”Mortal Kombat”, three big blockbuster releases.

There is also one additional issue for Snyder Cut related subscribers. There were three key dates for people that already knew they wanted to watch “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” on HBO Max. First, its announcement in Q1 2020: Several people acknowledging the power of HBO Max in making this movie happened might have subscribed already back in May 2020. Second, the “WW1984” release was also a key data; DC comics fans that wanted to experience more DC content through HBO Max might have subscribed in Q4 2020. And third, you have the actual release of the movie in Q1 2021.

Overall, the point is that with the publicly available data it is almost impossible to make a causal claim that any particular film or television show is alone driving subscriber behavior at any point in time.

Are these numbers enough to #RestoreTheSnyderVerse? Adding some context

Of course, gathering data on engagement is very difficult. But one proxy that is used to evaluate interest in a product is Google Trends. So, how does “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” compare to major releases in different streaming platforms? “Justice League” was the most worldwide searched term during its release when you compare it to major releases by HBO Max (including three brand new blockbuster movies), Netflix, and Disney+. There is also additional data from Diesel Labs suggesting a higher engagement for “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” relative to one of most expected DC movies, “Wonder Woman 1984”.

googletrendsengagement.thumb.jpg.dde49e821de45b72e91c839f883c01f8.jpg

I want to make this clear to add some more context to these numbers. A 4-hour movie with basically no studio push, very little marketing money into it, and considered by many (and probably by the general audience as well), the “extended version” of a failed 2017 movie, appear to have drawn a higher audience engagement than top hits from Netflix, Disney+, and HBO Max. We are talking about Netflix top hits, Disney+ series in the two most successful shared cinematic universes in history, and three brand-new blockbuster movies from HBO Max. Of course, this is only suggestive data from Google Trends.

We can combine this with anecdotal evidence like Jake Tapper tweeting about it, Leslie Jones live-tweeting the whole four-hour movie, and Brad Paisley tweeting #RestoreTheSnyderVerse, in a twitter campaign that got 1.5 million tweets. Just as a comparison, this was more than the tweets generated by “Avengers: Endgame” during its weekend release. In the end, the question that we naturally get is that if an “extended” version of an old movie generated this type of engagement, what is the real demand for new content in this universe? Probably even higher.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Anyone interested, the UK 4k of the Snyder Cut is region free and coming out on 5/24 (no official US release date yet). Here's a link on Amazon.

Zack Snyder's Justice League 4K Ultra HD 2021 Blu-ray Region Free: Amazon.co.uk

Thanks for posting this, is it different than the US version?