• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GColan's IM & SM #1 cover gone on hold at Romitaman
2 2

59 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, grapeape said:

Lately I’ve been coming to the CGC punch bowl hoping for a tasty drink but can’t get past the dumps some of the commenters are dropping in it. Let’s be thoughtful before posting. 

Grapey,

Cranberry juice is tart, but healthy, and if it improves the punch, then why not?

I don't mind the comments if they draw attention to the seamy side of this hobby--only if they get personal do I find them objectionable. We regularly discuss fake art, and "trade-dressed alternative covers", so why not bad auction or other business practices?

Me

Rick, I appreciate your thoughtful responses. 

I agree that it is necessary to discuss not only the positive side of this hobby, but also the "seamy side".  Frankly, if shill bidding remains as currently rampant as some posters clearly believe, whether or not it is permitted by law or the auction houses/platforms, then it remains a valid subject for discussion and analysis.  More information is always better.  

My intention in posting was not to "get personal" with anyone (and you will note that I did NOT mention or refer to any member of this community by name); my intent was to pose, in effect, a philosophical question:

If the community considers shill bidding to be a wrong (an ethical wrong if not a legal wrong or a crime), then how can one separate or divorce that wrong from the actor?  

I do not believe that one can do so.  

I perceived your comments to be an attempt to do so, in effect to 'blame the act, not the (nice guy) actor'.   

If I misconstrued the intent of your comments, please accept my apology.       

The Bill Cosby analogy was offered, not in reference to any specific person, but as an extreme example (as stated) offered to challenge the basis of (what I perceived to be) an attempt to separate an actor from his or her (intentional) act.  The analogy was not intended to compare or equate any particular persons or specific actions, but simply to demonstrate the futility of seeking to divorce an actor from his or her actions.  If this point was insufficiently well expressed, or if anyone perceived the analogy as a direct comparison of specific persons or specific actions, that was not my intent; please accept my apology.    

If your comments were instead intended to suggest that we adopt a "forgive and forget" attitude regarding a prior "wrong", especially in light of subsequent good acts, that is an entirely different discussion, and one that would be welcome this time of year.  Merry Christmas!      

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Grapey,

Cranberry juice is tart, but healthy, and if it improves the punch, then why not?

I don't mind the comments if they draw attention to the seamy side of this hobby--only if they get personal do I find them objectionable. We regularly discuss fake art, and "trade-dressed alternative covers", so why not bad auction or other business practices?

Me

I have no problem with any of that. I specifically mentioned the analogy reference of shilling to the Pudding Pop guy writing unwanted prescriptions being perhaps, a tinge off color. Then extrapolated it to a wee tendency for some to post without thinking things through.

Now I stand in solidarity with you in that I could care less if usernames “hide” behind their anonymity when making salty comments. Honestly with but just a little effort you can identify many of members in our community.

Let no one claim that I hide behind my username. No matter how controversial I might get you can always trust I stand behind my God given name. I sign it here alongside Rick Baron.

Yours,

GrapeApe

3 hours ago, Captain Calamity said:

If your comments were instead intended to suggest that we adopt a "forgive and forget" attitude regarding a prior "wrong", especially in light of subsequent good acts, that is an entirely different discussion, and one that would be welcome this time of year.  Merry Christmas!      

No particular reason to "forgive and forget", since I don't see a stated willingness to change the bahavior going forward. If I missed it, shame on me. 

More like the distinction between robbing a candy store and committing murder. Both are wrong, but the punishment--or response--should "fit the crime". 

I haven't been on here in 2 plus weeks and i see that the Barney Fife's who run this chat board deleted all of my previous comments on this topic... 

Were they too political in some way for their fragile little minds? (Profs to Eric Cartman there) :)

It's pretty clear this is officially a gossip website and I don't need to be part of it anymore,

(as with many serious art collectors who refuse to post here for similar reasons)

Lets see how soon my post here gets deleted for somehow being too political..

Edited by romitaman

29 minutes ago, romitaman said:

I haven't been on here in 2 plus weeks and i see that the Barney Fife's who run this chat board deleted all of my previous comments on this topic... 

Were they too political in some way for their fragile little minds? (Profs to Eric Cartman there) :)

It's pretty clear this is officially a gossip website and I don't need to be part of it anymore,

(as with many serious art collectors who refuse to post here for similar reasons)

I didn't see what you wrote but if the mods deleted it they probably had a good reason.  Insulting them doesn't reflect positively on you.  

This board is made up of many different collectors, some wonderful and some not so wonderful, much like every other community.  You're welcome to go elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, romitaman said:

"serious art collector" = I'm taking my ball and leaving. 

You're just tossing around insults and then saying you're leaving because others are doing the same?  Stick around Mike, you'll find it's a good place.  

2 minutes ago, buttock said:

"serious art collector" = I'm taking my ball and leaving. 

You're just tossing around insults and then saying you're leaving because others are doing the same?  Stick around Mike, you'll find it's a good place.  

Yes, this is a guy who could sell it all and buy an island but chooses to keep in the hobby; I for one would love to hear his enthusiasm and his stories about the art and artists he admires. He sold me on that enthusiasm the first time I met him so I know it is there.

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

Yes, this is a guy who could sell it all and buy an island but chooses to keep in the hobby; I for one would love to hear his enthusiasm and his stories about the art and artists he admires. He sold me on that enthusiasm the first time I met him so I know it is there.

Yeah, I've met Mike a scarce few times and he seems like a very nice person.  I've done a handful of straight up purchases which all went as smoothly as one could expect.  I thin this is a classic example of someone's online persona not matching their true persona for whatever reason.  

Getting back to the original topic, 400K is a great price for this!  It's a beautiful cover but that's gotta be a record for Gene Colan.  Seems like all the iconic memorable covers from the 60s are headed in this direction.

7 hours ago, heartened said:

Getting back to the original topic, 400K is a great price for this!  It's a beautiful cover but that's gotta be a record for Gene Colan.  Seems like all the iconic memorable covers from the 60s are headed in this direction.

Always loved this cover and the Colan best GOAT IRONMAN 1 cover.

11 hours ago, artdealer said:

Probably 20+ years ago, my friend and I went to Gene’s place. I bought a bunch of pages and my friend bought the Iron Man #1 cover. 
he sold it later (through me) to pay for his kids schooling. 

Nice!  How much did it sell for?  I'm guessing < 30-40K back then!  That's a gorgeous cover and truly one of the best of all time.