• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How big is the pool of buyers for six-figure O/A?

128 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2020 at 10:49 PM, ShallowDan said:

Those are actually a great points, and something that might be at play way more often that I was originally thinking.  It would be interesting to know how often a six-figure final hammer price is followed up with a handful of five-figure consignments from the buyer in the next auction.

At times, the O/A game at these levels seems like a table of guys playing poker with everyone wanting to play as long as possible, but worried about who is going to try and cash out first.

I wouldn't be surprised if the MCU created a lot of wealthy collectors in Hollywood. If I was Chris Pratt, for instance, one of the first things I did after getting paid would be to pick up every appearance of Star-Lord. I remember back in the eighties when Steven Spielberg bought the original art to the cover of Mad #1 for $20k. At the time, it was a huge sale.

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I think when the Gen Xers and early Millennials age out, we'll see it affect the market in a big way.  But, that could be 15-20 years from now just to hit the inflection point and some years more before people figure out what's going on.  

In the meantime, we are living in a Bizarro world where gravity has been removed from all markets, not just comic art.  In fact, some of the gains I'm seeing in other collectibles verticals and, of course, in the financial markets, make OA's gains this year look positively sedate by comparison.  I am pretty much ragingly bullish on everything these days because currencies are being debased into oblivion and people are bored out of their minds.  Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy!

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the "new Gene"!  In the Bizarro world that we find ourselves in 2020, the last thing I thought I would witness in the ruins and rubble would be a bullish Gene. It's madness I say! Madness! lol 

7 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the "new Gene"!  In the Bizarro world that we find ourselves in 2020, the last thing I thought I would witness in the ruins and rubble would be a bullish Gene. It's madness I say! Madness! lol 

Well the central banks have definitely proven in 2020 that they can print new money a lot faster than you guys can produce new art, so I'm guessing it's a matter of just grabbing something and holding on for the ride.

8 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

Well the central banks have definitely proven in 2020 that they can print new money a lot faster than you guys can produce new art, so I'm guessing it's a matter of just grabbing something and holding on for the ride.

The Central Bankers are super good at this, aren't they.

Somebody ought to give them a raise and review the bonus structure too.

Much easier for everyone too, why did we wait 107 years?

On 12/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, delekkerste said:

I think when the Gen Xers and early Millennials age out, we'll see it affect the market in a big way.  But, that could be 15-20 years from now just to hit the inflection point and some years more before people figure out what's going on.  

In the meantime, we are living in a Bizarro world where gravity has been removed from all markets, not just comic art.  In fact, some of the gains I'm seeing in other collectibles verticals and, of course, in the financial markets, make OA's gains this year look positively sedate by comparison.  I am pretty much ragingly bullish on everything these days because currencies are being debased into oblivion and people are bored out of their minds.  Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy!

I think you need to consider sub markets in OA at this point. Hi flyers do look like they will continue to fly, but don’t forget the high level of debt the millennials have taken on and their interest in activities over things, They have also delayed their home purchases, even while prices keep going up, and even their startup into families. To the extent they develop an interest, all they will afford is the lower priced stuff—of which there is a lot. So while those $50,000 pieces continue, at least for now, I think you will see a decline in interest in the expensive but less well known artists/subjects. I would argue that some of the less publicized pieces, which aren’t doing so well at auction, or sit unsold are examples. Newer artists also represent a subcategory which should be viewed separately. Those should be reported more.

On 12/9/2020 at 2:09 PM, pinupcartooncollector said:

My kid just informed me (and a quick google search proved it true), that a box of unopened Pokemon cards sold for $350K+. 

Yeah, the traders behind the Dumb Money and Dumb Money Live vlog/podcast on YouTube very publicly bought a $375K Pokemon box from 1999 (which will be broken/sold for charity).  I love Dumb Money - I would even go so far as to say that listening to them has been instrumental in changing my world view. The main guy there turned $20K into $20-$30 million (might be $30-40 million now) between 2007 and 2020, all from trading stocks (track record fully audited and vetted by financial author Jack Schwager, who included this guy in his recently published book Unknown Market Wizards).  Basically, I figured - I'm smarter than this guy, and, yet, this guy has compiled a track record better than me and 99.9999% of other traders/investors out there, so, he must be doing something right. I'd highly recommend it.

That said, I'm told (can't reveal any specifics), that there has been another deal done for a 1999 Pokemon box at an even higher price than $375K. :whatthe: 

Money has become worthless for the asset-owning class.  

On 12/9/2020 at 2:09 PM, pinupcartooncollector said:

My kid just informed me (and a quick google search proved it true), that a box of unopened Pokemon cards sold for $350K+. 

I believe there were two separate sales at 375 IIRC.   Some a little below that too.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

That said, I'm told (can't reveal any specifics), that there has been another deal done for a 1999 Pokemon box at an even higher price than $375K. :whatthe: 

oh, a third sale at or above 375? 

interesting.   

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, the traders behind the Dumb Money and Dumb Money Live vlog/podcast on YouTube very publicly bought a $375K Pokemon box from 1999 (which will be broken/sold for charity).  I love Dumb Money - I would even go so far as to say that listening to them has been instrumental in changing my world view. The main guy there turned $20K into $20-$30 million (might be $30-40 million now) between 2007 and 2020, all from trading stocks (track record fully audited and vetted by financial author Jack Schwager, who included this guy in his recently published book Unknown Market Wizards).  Basically, I figured - I'm smarter than this guy, and, yet, this guy has compiled a track record better than me and 99.9999% of other traders/investors out there, so, he must be doing something right. I'd highly recommend it.

Money has become worthless for the asset-owning class.  

Thinking about the Pokemon card things a bit more, the sale really isn't driven by nostalgia or real collectors, it's more of an event thing (another youtuber did the same thing, bought a box just to do a reveal).  So I don't think it fits nearly in terms of how we look at the value of collectibles.

56 minutes ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

Thinking about the Pokemon card things a bit more, the sale really isn't driven by nostalgia or real collectors, it's more of an event thing (another youtuber did the same thing, bought a box just to do a reveal).  So I don't think it fits nearly in terms of how we look at the value of collectibles.

Nah.   The only reason it’s an event is because it’s an expensive box.   It’s an expensive box because people want the cards. 

Edited by Bronty

Pokemon newbie question:  Are values skyrocketing for mainline cards or only special/limited stuff like refractors and “trainers” etc?  Are values condition sensitive like CGC graded comics (ie, mint is worth 20x a normal used card) or like art where rarity is main driver not condition.   My son had about 600+ Pokemon cards (about 8-10 years ago)

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

Pokemon newbie question:  Are values skyrocketing for mainline cards or only special/limited stuff like refractors and “trainers” etc?  Are values condition sensitive like CGC graded comics (ie, mint is worth 20x a normal used card) or like art where rarity is main driver not condition.   My son had about 600+ Pokemon cards (about 8-10 years ago)

Wait is this going to be a reverse comic book story where instead of the parent throwing out the child's collection they actually sell it and buy original artwork for themself?

2 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Values are EXTREMELY condition sensitive. 1st edition Charizard seems to be the most expensive card. They can be had for $100-$200. Or around $200,000 if it's in pristine condition. It's a big reason why the sealed boxes are so valuable - the assumption is what you pull is very high grade.

To someone's other question, the value is very nostalgia driven. It's an event because it's nostalgic.

Things that shouldn’t be overlooked regarding OA as an investment, particularly older published OA, is that it’s not easy to fake, is one of a kind, and (well done professional) restoration doesn’t hurt its value.

The fact that it’s published makes it harder to pawn off fakes, like you might see in the fine art market. It’s easier for an informed lay person to spot published OA fakes than in the fine art world. 

And value is tied to the source material being part of pop culture and not just a temporary fad in the New York or LA art gallery scene. 

Plus, unlike Gold or Stocks, it’s a fun hobby! It’s got a coolness factor to it. You can display the art and enjoy it. 

When you combine all of the above with skyrocketing prices, and the mainstreaming of comic books as part of popular culture, you’re going to attract more big money buyers eventually. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

13 hours ago, Varanis said:

Values are EXTREMELY condition sensitive. 1st edition Charizard seems to be the most expensive card. They can be had for $100-$200. Or around $200,000 if it's in pristine condition. It's a big reason why the sealed boxes are so valuable - the assumption is what you pull is very high grade.

To someone's other question, the value is very nostalgia driven. It's an event because it's nostalgic.

That kind of condition/price sensitivity didn’t seem right to me so I did a little digging.  

The big aspect not discussed is that what get the big money is the very first version of the first edition.   

The first versions conveniently say edition 1 in a small black circle and --script middle left.   

That card, even in really poor grade, is four figures (there’s a psa 2 on eBay right now at over 2k with a day and a half left to go).   

the $100 price would be for something that is a late edition , non shadowless , bad condition.   

Thr big price is "1st edition" and also "shadowless. "    If its not both of those things, the price dips.

Edited by Bronty

My son was huge into pokemon and has boxes of cards and sleeves of cards. I told him to keep them until he gets older and see if he has anything good. He will be in the market for his first car and I told him to fight the temptation to liquidate them cheap for a quick gain and to start saving money in other ways. He has a stack of really old unopened packs that I won't let him near lol

54 minutes ago, Bronty said:

That kind of condition/price sensitivity didn’t seem right to me so I did a little digging.  

The big aspect not discussed is that what get the big money is the very first version of the first edition.   

The first versions conveniently say edition 1 in a small black circle and ---script middle left.   

That card, even in really poor grade, is four figures (there’s a psa 2 on eBay right now at over 2k with a day and a half left to go).   

the $100 price would be for something that is a late edition , non shadowless , bad condition.   

Thr big price is "1st edition" and also "shadowless. "    If its not both of those things, the price dips.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought there were some variants, but wasn't sure how deep it went.