• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How big is the pool of buyers for six-figure O/A?

128 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

It's happened. Mark Landis was really good.

New Yorker article: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/26/the-giveaway

Felix Comic Art Interview with Mark: http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcastdetail.asp?pId=32

What was interesting to me, was that the guy who first cottoned on to Landis and tried to raise the alarm.....got fired.

2 hours ago, Taylor G said:

What was interesting to me, was that the guy who first cottoned on to Landis and tried to raise the alarm.....got fired.

FWIW Landis was a known fraud in comic art circles and the FBI was gathering evidence and building a case long, long before...early 1980s.

There is one early Simon and Kirby cover that has been on the market that I am convinced is a fake. I presented my evidence many years ago on a Kirby list but got heavy push back from one dealer. My point is not that this particular piece of art is a fake, but rather there is some risk to be had in exposing forgeries. With today's much higher values placed on high end original art and our the litigious nature of some people, you might not just risk an attack on your reputation you might end up getting sued.

2 hours ago, hmendryk said:

There is one early Simon and Kirby cover that has been on the market that I am convinced is a fake. I presented my evidence many years ago on a Kirby list but got heavy push back from one dealer. My point is not that this particular piece of art is a fake, but rather there is some risk to be had in exposing forgeries. With today's much higher values placed on high end original art and our the litigious nature of some people, you might not just risk an attack on your reputation you might end up getting sued.

Yes that risk for the accuser exists, but so the risk of the legal "discovery" process in such a suit.

The owners of fakes on the market do not really want any serious scrutiny of the piece in question.

3 hours ago, hmendryk said:

Pure opinion, if expressed that way, and clearly stating you are not claiming to be an expert, should not subject you to litigation anymore than saying you think a piece of art is "bad". 

Just express the facts as you see them.

If you think something "may" not be legit because, in your opinion, some lines look hesitantly drawn, or you own a piece that looks almost exactly like it you had posted on CAF--so close it could be a tracing, again, if stated that way, it is only an opinion.

Edited by Rick2you2

17 hours ago, delekkerste said:

The box wasn't purchased from Heritage; some guy claimed to have owned it for many years, kept it in a safe, etc. etc. and then sold it through the middlemen in the video to the Dumb Money guys. 

Maybe you're right.

Perhaps I'm confusing things with a 375k make an offer made here.  Doesn't seem to have been accepted.

Sorry for the mislead everyone - especially HA!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/pokemon-first-edition-base-set-sealed-booster-box-wizards-of-the-coast-1999-/a/7204-92280.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bronty

Going back to the original question of how many collectors there are who play in the six figure range, there are folks who may not be super active in the hobby, but when they are, they go big. Like Robert Rodriguez (the director) and that dude from Metallica, both of whom buy Frazetta paintings. I don't think I'm competing with them for Trimpe Godzilla art but they're out there.

21 hours ago, christosgage said:

Going back to the original question of how many collectors there are who play in the six figure range, there are folks who may not be super active in the hobby, but when they are, they go big. Like Robert Rodriguez (the director) and that dude from Metallica, both of whom buy Frazetta paintings. I don't think I'm competing with them for Trimpe Godzilla art but they're out there.

I think the number is growing, and remember it just takes two to bid the price of an item up to the stratosphere. However, there could be a big difference between the the 3d bidder and #1 and #2 as far as price point...general rule, buy what you like, and if you have and enjoy the art and you can exit breaking even, consider yourself lucky.

10 hours ago, RBerman said:

I bought a fake Kirby through Profiles in History last year. Anybody want one, let me know!

Rule No. 1: If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Rule No. 2: The more famous the the artist, the more likely it is a fake. 

I could probably fill a fireplace with all the fake Snoopy’s on eBay

7 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Yikes, have you posted? Maybe in the fake Kirby thread?

It has its own thread, linked in my post above. If there is a separate thread in which we’re keeping a running tally of known Kirby fakes, I could repost it in there, or my thread could be merged into the other one.

The experience taught this “emptor” to “caveat” more, especially where unpublished art is concerned. Once bitten, twice shy!

On 12/12/2020 at 10:34 PM, alxjhnsn said:

It's happened. Mark Landis was really good.

New Yorker article: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/26/the-giveaway

Felix Comic Art Interview with Mark: http://www.felixcomicart.com/podcastdetail.asp?pId=32

Thanks for mentioning this. We watched “Art and Craft” last night. Interesting stuff! Landis was fun to watch. There was a stab at setting up Landis and Leininger as two sides of the same coin, but ultimately not much Leininger material was included in the documentary.

Edited by RBerman

15 minutes ago, RBerman said:

It has its own thread, linked in my post above. If there is a separate thread in which we’re keeping a running tally of known Kirby fakes, I could repost it in there, or my thread could be merged into the other one.

The experience taught this “emptor” to “caveat” more, especially where unpublished art is concerned. Once bitten, twice shy!

I think this was it.

21 hours ago, RBerman said:

I bought a fake Kirby through Profiles in History last year. Anybody want one, let me know!

Have you reached out to PIH ?

Where I left off you piece was suspect but far from consensus fake.

I remember trying to help you with this but couldn’t get anybody to go on the record or even answer me. It wasn’t PIH but those supposedly aware 😎of when drawings were done that did not return my emails.

Genesis West

Mike Thibodeaux 

Anybody else want to help me bang on these guys door steps for non evasive answers?

Edited by grapeape

15 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

The pool of buyers is clearly enough to support a $108,000 (+15% buyer premium) on the ASM162 cover at CC last night. 

Bob

I guess it depends on POV... I was the right age when punisher blew up and to me the 162 is worth that

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I guess it depends on POV... I was the right age when punisher blew up and to me the 162 is worth that

I absolutely adored that cover. I have a Roosevelt Island tram on my Christmas tree! And I put the biggest online bid I've ever put on that cover last night. Wow. But even though I could liquidate a number of other pieces and get to six figures of OA-generated cash very quickly, I just couldn't push myself to type in six figures for it. And I don't know there are any examples of OA where I would be compelled to put in a six figure bid, which comes back to the criteria that knocks me out of the OP's original question. 

Edited by Sideshow Bob