• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thundercats #1 1985

11 posts in this topic

Looking at Thundercats #1 there seems to be more variants than recognised 

First print 65c with star logo

First print 65c newsstand 

Canadian newsstand 75c

2nd print with 75c in marvel M woth star logo

3rd print 75c without Dec written

But what is the 75c variant in a square box not marvel M with starlogo at the bottom. This seems even more rare to me but seems to be marked with the same brush as 2nd print  75c in the marvel M when its clearly different. I see this appear now and then and i think what is this? Anyone know thanks

Im thinking its the Canadian print with star logo instead of newsstand but not sure. Just i see this less than the Canadian newsstand. 

Just curiosity question really. Im a first print all the way guy myself lol

11 hours ago, Mrmg84 said:

Im thinking its the Canadian print with star logo instead of newsstand but not sure. Just i see this less than the Canadian newsstand. 

Just curiosity question really. Im a first print all the way guy myself lol

There is a Copper age thread on this, I will tag you in it (thumbsu

Here's a graphic I made a while back identifying the 5 versions of Thundercats #1 that I am aware of.

As far as I'm aware there is not a version that states it is a Second Printing in the indicia, though I would love to be wrong about this.

2nd print: does not state it is a reprint on the indicia

3rd print: does state "THIRD PRINTING" on indicia

Thundercats 1 editions and prints.jpg

This is more an observation, but when you see the Curtis Publication - (cc symbol - absent from the lower area of the price box, it's usually a way to identify distribution through retail multipacks for reprints. The version of multipack I own has the 65c multiprice version with star symbol in the UPC box, but I have seen STAR Comics multipacks which had different titles in it, and it's possible the 75c is the second version was sold as a later multipack offering.  

thundercats_front.jpg

This is one example with a US newsstand/direct, and several 75c priced editions - the one immediately following has a "squished" font, weight and alignment different from the second version, both priced the same, but likely to differentiate/track retail distribution. It's the anecdotal example that also shows the lack of the Curtis Circulation symbol on both.

gi-joe-2.jpg.72f2db4891c3d811739ceb974700f559.jpg

gi-joe-1.jpg.be24be191c23292d4212528f10e50229.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

8 hours ago, comicwiz said:

This is more an observation, but when you see the Curtis Publication - (cc symbol - absent from the lower area of the price box, it's usually a way to identify distribution through retail multipacks for reprints.

The Curtis mark should only ever appear on Newsstands. It doesn't, but it should.