• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics that are valuable ONLY because of the cover
3 3

50 posts in this topic

I was admiring the cover of my Silver Surfer #4 and got to wondering what other comics are valuable ONLY because of their cover?  So, no first appearances, #1, relative scarcity to others of the period . . . (and I personally don't include a lot of pre-Code horror books since so many of them were so strikingly gruesome -- but others may have a different opinion -- maybe even that SS#4 doesn't belong in this category).

20201207_141910.jpg

This topic was done earlier this year, though the previous thread had a terrible, misleading title (which was modified and made even worse by the trolling OP).

Silver Surfer #4 doesn't fit the category, though the cover undoubtedly contributes to the value.

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

All Modern variants.

Almost all modern variants.  There are a tiny number that are valuable in their "regular editions" (such as Ultimate Fallout #4), but the majority are worthless as regular editions and you need a mortgage for the variant when the only difference is the cover.

Edited by valiantman

When talking about SA superhero comics, I think hero vs hero is typically more valuable than those issues surrounding it. Keep in mind, valuable is subjective.

Here's a couple of examples of hero vs hero...

ff112.jpg.f83a93cd0c638309eda86525984c1518.jpgim66.jpeg.aa5fe9c8acd23d3bb0282520b520fd93.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

SS#4 does not belong in this category.  SS#4 is the 1st time Silver Surfer meets Thor, and also Silver Surfer's 1st battle with Thor, both a big deal in the context of cosmic-level, let alone super popular, characters.  And THAT encounter/fight is depicted on the cover.  

..Also one my favorite covers of all time.  Just love that cover!  

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

SS#4 does not belong in this category.  SS#4 is the 1st time Silver Surfer meets Thor, and also Silver Surfer's 1st battle with Thor, both a big deal in the context of cosmic-level, let alone super popular, characters.  And THAT encounter/fight is depicted on the cover.  

Perhaps, if some would actually 'read' the story behind the cover, they might discover that value exists in many other forms.  Perish the thought that SS4 is only of value because of the cover ... good lawd!!

Speaking as primarily a Copper guy, although I have been enticed by many GAs on this site, I own a grand total of three books that are pre-1980:

1.  H181.  1st of my favorite char.

2.  Star Trek Gold Key #1.  What can I say, I'm a trekkie.

3.  Silver Surfer 4.  Without disagreeing with the other points that have been made here, which I am happy to hear, I have to admit that I only got it because of the cover.  But damn if it isn't one of the best covers of all time.

The cover is such an important component of collectability that it might be interesting to flip it around and find comics that are valuable (i.e. collectible) despite having a lousy cover... But maybe that's already been done.

16 minutes ago, Turnando said:

The cover is such an important component of collectability that it might be interesting to flip it around and find comics that are valuable (i.e. collectible) despite having a lousy cover... But maybe that's already been done.

Yeah, there's a worst-covered keys thread around here somewhere.