• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics that are valuable ONLY because of the cover
3 3

50 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, valiantman said:

Almost all modern variants.  There are a tiny number that are valuable in their "regular editions" (such as Ultimate Fallout #4), but the majority are worthless as regular editions and you need a mortgage for the variant when the only difference is the cover.

I meant, like, the "Variant Edition"s. Not the "Cover A"s.

The majority of books with covers by Dave Stevens, aside from the Rocketeer itself. Not saying there aren't some cool books in that run, but the majority would still be quarter bin books if not for the Dave covers.

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, there's a worst-covered keys thread around here somewhere.

I don't recall reading that one, but I'd have to assume Avengers Annual 10 ranked pretty high on that list!

24 minutes ago, october said:

Me neither, but Strange Tales 110 has to be up there too. :sick:

Good call! In fact, if that thread exists, we never have to read it, because we just picked #1 and #2 right now. No arguments!

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
21 hours ago, valiantman said:

Almost all modern variants.  There are a tiny number that are valuable in their "regular editions" (such as Ultimate Fallout #4), but the majority are worthless as regular editions and you need a mortgage for the variant when the only difference is the cover.

I meant, like, the "Variant Edition"s. Not the "Cover A"s.

Right, but if there are books that ARE valuable as Cover A, then they are valuable regardless of the cover.

So, Ultimate Fallout #4 variants aren't valuable "only because of the cover" (and don't qualify for this topic) because they would be valuable regardless, variant or not.  Therefore "all modern variants" don't qualify.  Some are valuable for MORE than the cover. :foryou:

20 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Right, but if there are books that ARE valuable as Cover A, then they are valuable regardless of the cover.

So, Ultimate Fallout #4 variants aren't valuable "only because of the cover" (and don't qualify for this topic) because they would be valuable regardless, variant or not.  Therefore "all modern variants" don't qualify.  Some are valuable for MORE than the cover. :foryou:

Okay, I understand what you're saying, and I agree.