• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If I submitted one Pokémon card 50 times in a bulk order. What are the odds of getting a 10?

13 posts in this topic

I'm new to the whole idea of grading trading cards and I've been kind of wondering what would happen if I sent the same common card 50 times in a bulk order. Do they analyze each card individually and would I expect to see variation in the scoring of each card?

Yes, they grade each card individually.  You have no "odds" of getting a 10/10.  If your card is a perfect card, it'll receive a 10.  They don't randomly decide which cards get 10's on pure luck.

If you sent in 50 cards that are perfect 10's, you get 50 10's back.  If you sent in 50 cards that are not 10's, you won't receive a 10.

Yes, they grade each card individually.  You have no "odds" of getting a 10/10.  If your card is a perfect card, it'll receive a 10.  They don't randomly decide which cards get 10's on pure luck.

If you sent in 50 cards that are perfect 10's, you get 50 10's back.  If you sent in 50 cards that are not 10's, you won't receive a 10.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

They grade the card on top of the stack and then assign that grade and all of its qualities to the other 49 cards. Speeds up turnaround times. 

I think they choose a random one in the middle, don't they?  PSA goes top stack.  Beckett goes bottom of the pile.  

18 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

I think they choose a random one in the middle, don't they?  PSA goes top stack.  Beckett goes bottom of the pile.  

Wait, that's a real thing? They don't grade each card individually? 

5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Wait, that's a real thing? They don't grade each card individually? 

I sent off 12 copies of a card to get graded with sub-grades. Every single card was graded individually. I don't know where the others are getting their info from, but I've already done this myself so I know that without a doubt that they grade them individually.

7 hours ago, FearlessPC said:

I sent off 12 copies of a card to get graded with sub-grades. Every single card was graded individually. I don't know where the others are getting their info from, but I've already done this myself so I know that without a doubt that they grade them individually.

I think the group is being a bit sarcastic... obviously they have to grade each one individually. No one would submit cards to a company that slaps a label on randomly based on the top cards condition

6 hours ago, Sambuck2 said:

I think the group is being a bit sarcastic... obviously they have to grade each one individually. No one would submit cards to a company that slaps a label on randomly based on the top cards condition

It's cool. I've seen posts on here from a couple new people who wanted to start using CGC and I didn't want them to read this thread and get the impression that that's what CGC actually does. 

19 hours ago, Sambuck2 said:

Wait what you mean PSA actually looks at the card? I'm like 70% sure PSA just sells the grade and not the quality of what's in the slab.  psa had a pretty off center 1st.ed.shadowless 10 zard on their insta not long ago pic wasn't very close and no snap of the back so I'm guessing it probably had a nick or 2.