• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buy the art not the nostalgia?

32 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Nice Miller piece, but $175K it’s a bit too much.

Especially when you compare it  to the final result of the following pieces. Not exactly an apples to apples comparisson, but more like lemons to limes.

Frank Miller Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1 Unused Splash Page 1 - $50,400

Frank Miller The Complete Frank Miller Batman #1 Hardback Cover - $43,200

Frank Miller Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (10th Anniversary Edition) - $41,825

As someone mentioned before, I would rather wait for a very nice interior page at this price point.

I think any comps not from 2020 are all stale at this point.  $175K may be too much, but, it may not be.  If it sold at that price, I really couldn't say that it would be the most egregious sale we've seen this year, not by a long shot.  I mean, we are in an environment where nobody is going to offer any good mainstream OA that is going to scream "wow, that's a good deal".  Plus, $175K is just the starting point for negotiations, presumably. 

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I think any comps not from 2020 are all stale at this point.  $175K may be too much, but, it may not be.  If it sold at that price, I really couldn't say that it would be the most egregious sale we've seen this year, not by a long shot.  I mean, we are in an environment where nobody is going to offer any good mainstream OA that is going to scream "wow, that's a good deal".  Plus, $175K is just the starting point for negotiations, presumably. 

The Dark Knight Returns #1 Unused Splash and  and  The Complete Frank Miller Batman #1 Hardback Cover  are from 2019 and 2018.  Not 2020, but not  long ago either.  $175K is quite far off for a negotiation starting point.

5 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

The Dark Knight Returns #1 Unused Splash and  and  The Complete Frank Miller Batman #1 Hardback Cover  are from 2019 and 2018. 

In a normal market, I would agree. But, this is not a normal market. Even 2019 is ancient history at this point. 

Comps 

This comes up a lot

The main source recited time after time is past HA sales.

Its time to put comps where they belong.

Way way down on the totem pole of how to determine what to pay for an item.

Especially in 2020.

Most collectors don’t have access to “all” the private sale and trade information to truly construct a reliable comp.We need to look for information others don’t have. There are people spending wild amounts of money simply because they can. As a seller you can exploit that.

As a buyer beware.

That’s what makes you viable as an art collector. Following the sheep leads to a nice long fall over the edge of a cliff.

I suspect most collectors today are in over their heads.

Gene is right.

burn pre 2020 comps

and the value of money? Forget about it.

Edited by grapeape

On 12/10/2020 at 6:08 PM, grapeape said:

With all due respect to Ramona Fradon, I’ve got 100+ items ahead of Metamorho on ye ole checklist. (thumbsu

I think Covid shut down the San Fernando Valley production of Metamorho. 

24 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Blast my failing eyesight 👓 🍇🦍

long live Chatsworth

sincerly,

Dirk Diggler 

No, bless your typos because now I have my commission request for Ramona. 

All hail 👑 🍇 🦍