• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm sad about the "Sad Collection"

16 posts in this topic

Apologies if this has been posted already. I didn't see anything about it when skimming.

Is scroogenightmare on eBay Muck Wilson? It looks like he's selling a bunch of water-damaged CMA, Whiz, and other Fawcett books that were formerly very high grade. 

Apparently some guy kept his high-grade golden-age books in his basement (gag) and the basement did what basements do, which is flood.

I hate seeing this so much that I'm at a loss for words.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-SAD-COLLECTION-CAPTAIN-MARVEL-ADVENTURES-11-CGC-9-6-but-water-damaged/284106140276

image.thumb.png.24654b4a7f86ffc3a662777054fbc4a7.png

Edited by jimbo_7071

Ugh poor guy... good of the owner to disclose the damage in the sales.  This certainly creates a bad situation where some not as forthright people might try to resell the less obviously damaged books without disclosing the damage.  Hope we don’t see that happening.

50 minutes ago, szav said:

Ugh poor guy... good of the owner to disclose the damage in the sales.  This certainly creates a bad situation where some not as forthright people might try to resell the less obviously damaged books without disclosing the damage.  Hope we don’t see that happening.

Hopefully not. They're still in their inner wells, but they've been broken out of their outer wells, so it would be difficult for someone to pass them off as undamaged.

1 hour ago, catman76 said:

How can water even get in there? I thought the inner thing was heat sealed and air tight, but I guess not.

I knew they weren't perfect, but this interview gives me the impression that they have quite a bit of water resistance.