• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's very disappointing when a Forumite completely deceives you to make a fast buck.
3 3

73 posts in this topic

As a seller here I've always worked with people to try and give satisfaction.

I will always give discounts, and pretty generous ones sometimes, and I will always try and accommodate someone. I always ensure higher dollar books are shipped by the most reliable and expensive method, and I pay for this 9 times out of 10.

I'm sure there are many Boardies over the years who will attest to this, who have purchased from me.

I really try my best to work with people and help them to get a book they really want. I'm not asking for a medal, just stating a fact.

On Sept 12 I was approached out of the blue, asking would I sell a pretty sought after GA book. The prospective buyer's exact words.....

Been wanting this book forever and the $850 one is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

In a later pm the buyer mailed me with.....

Sounds like a deal to me, you just made my night!

this after the deal was struck.

I paid for the shipping which cost me $35, so in effect he got a very sought after book for $815. I only agreed to sell it because I have two other copies, although this was my best one, and I thought I was helping someone get their grail.

Fast forward about a month, and I've tracked the book and I know he's got it, so on Oct 17 I send him a pm pointing to my kudos thread. He never left kudos, and he never replied to my pm.

Now I know why.

Today I discovered that on Oct 12 he flipped the book on the Boards for $1200.

Am I annoyed? Damn right. Not because he made a profit of almost $400 but because I was deceived pure and simple. Had I known his only motivation was to make a fast buck at my expense I would have certainly asked for more, but I thought I was helping a fellow collector achieve some sort of goal.

No good deed goes unpunished as they say.

I would add that I have no problem with people flipping books and making money, but when you are approached in such a way with the emphasis on, please help me get my grail even though I can't really afford it.....

It's a bit much.

I'm disgusted to be honest and feel totally bent over the desk.

:frown:

1 minute ago, smithdatura said:

I would certainly be curious to know who this is...

I don't want to incur the wrath of the mods. TBH I don't know anymore what is acceptable or strikeworthy, which is why I haven't named him.

2 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Stating the forum user and the story, so long as you can provide evidence (not saying you can or cannot just stating the facts of what would be needed).  As long as real names are left out and it is not a direct character attack, I think should be ok.

Boardies would definitely want to steer clear of someone that says one thing just to flip it instead, I would at least.

Well it's a true story and I wanted to share because it's a betrayal in my eyes. At best it is sly and manipulative. At worst it is a clear deception in order to make money.

We all know that's not the way this place is supposed to work.

Anyone who wants to avoid this fate can pm me if they want and I will message the User ID.

Forewarned is forearmed as they say.

20 minutes ago, G G ® said:

As a seller here I've always worked with people to try and give satisfaction.

I will always give discounts, and pretty generous ones sometimes, and I will always try and accommodate someone. I always ensure higher dollar books are shipped by the most reliable and expensive method, and I pay for this 9 times out of 10.

I'm sure there are many Boardies over the years who will attest to this, who have purchased from me.

I really try my best to work with people and help them to get a book they really want. I'm not asking for a medal, just stating a fact.

On Sept 12 I was approached out of the blue, asking would I sell a pretty sought after GA book. The prospective buyer's exact words.....

Been wanting this book forever and the $850 one is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

In a later pm the buyer mailed me with.....

this after the deal was struck.

I paid for the shipping which cost me $35, so in effect he got a very sought after book for $815. I only agreed to sell it because I have two other copies, although this was my best one, and I thought I was helping someone get their grail.

Fast forward about a month, and I've tracked the book and I know he's got it, so on Oct 17 I send him a pm pointing to my kudos thread. He never left kudos, and he never replied to my pm.

Now I know why.

Today I discovered that on Oct 12 he flipped the book on the Boards for $1200.

Am I annoyed? Damn right. Not because he made a profit of almost $400 but because I was deceived pure and simple. Had I known his only motivation was to make a fast buck at my expense I would have certainly asked for more, but I thought I was helping a fellow collector achieve some sort of goal.

No good deed goes unpunished as they say.

I would add that I have no problem with people flipping books and making money, but when you are approached in such a way with the emphasis on, please help me get my grail even though I can't really afford it.....

It's a bit much.

I'm disgusted to be honest and feel totally bent over the desk.

:frown:

Very manipulative....and I understand your reasons for not outing the person.

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
4 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

It was @Buzzetta

I ain't got time for the sob story routine. 

Just so you know...

When crops (or anyone) does an @Buzzetta, it's just a boardie shortcut to 'This thread is undoubtedly going to be interesting".  It has nothing to do with saying Buzzetta is the culprit.

In the interests of full and frank disclosure, here is the complete pm exchange between us. The Buyer's words are in bold.

Don't suppose you'd be interested in selling one of the two lower grade copies you have? Been wanting this book forever and the $850 one is a bit out of my price range at the moment

It wasn't in my plan to be honest, but let me give it some thought for a coupla days because if I say ok now, and my 3.0 sells I will only be left with one, and it's taken me a long time to get 3, so I want to keep two of them at least.

I'll get back to you and let you know either way. 

Well, I could put down a deposit on the 3.0 and move some books of my own to pay the rest, if you'll give me like a week or so?

I could do that for you.

I have many references from sales on the Boards. I'm happy to supply them for you if needed. There are a lot.

My terms on time payments are payment thru' ppal via friends & family. Deposit is non-refundable if you change your mind.

I pay for International Shipping ( I assume you are in the States?). My books are securely packed, Insured, tracked with delivery signed confirmation. They can be tracked all the way from my door to yours.

My word is my bond, and you can buy with confidence. 

paul

That's great. Well I'm off to bed now then. 

This is not an easy book to get as you know, so I think you will be delighted with it.

my ppal addy is

Hey, how much do you want for the deposit?

I was thinking $250. Is that ok for you?

Works for me.  I'll shoot it over now

Done!

Just moved a book, sending the other $600 now!

The rest of the funds have been sent!  Here's my shipping address:

Wow! That was amazingly quick.

Hey ***.

Your book was shipped today via INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR DELIVERY.

Your tracking number is RN 5699 8928 2GB.

You can follow it here;

https://www3.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/

Over the years I've shipped scores of books to Boardies via this method, and in normal times delivery can take anywhere between one and four weeks.

Enjoy the book.

best wishes

paul

Hi ***.
I hope you like your book. My kudos thread is below if you care to leave any. Also point me in the direction of yours, if you have one?
best wishes

paul

Thanks ***

2 minutes ago, G G ® said:

In the interests of full and frank disclosure, here is the complete pm exchange between us. The Buyer's words are in bold.

Don't suppose you'd be interested in selling one of the two lower grade copies you have? Been wanting this book forever and the $850 one is a bit out of my price range at the moment

It wasn't in my plan to be honest, but let me give it some thought for a coupla days because if I say ok now, and my 3.0 sells I will only be left with one, and it's taken me a long time to get 3, so I want to keep two of them at least.

I'll get back to you and let you know either way. 

Well, I could put down a deposit on the 3.0 and move some books of my own to pay the rest, if you'll give me like a week or so?

I could do that for you.

I have many references from sales on the Boards. I'm happy to supply them for you if needed. There are a lot.

My terms on time payments are payment thru' ppal via friends & family. Deposit is non-refundable if you change your mind.

I pay for International Shipping ( I assume you are in the States?). My books are securely packed, Insured, tracked with delivery signed confirmation. They can be tracked all the way from my door to yours.

My word is my bond, and you can buy with confidence. 

paul

That's great. Well I'm off to bed now then. 

This is not an easy book to get as you know, so I think you will be delighted with it.

my ppal addy is

Hey, how much do you want for the deposit?

I was thinking $250. Is that ok for you?

Works for me.  I'll shoot it over now

Done!

Just moved a book, sending the other $600 now!

The rest of the funds have been sent!  Here's my shipping address:

Wow! That was amazingly quick.

Hey ***.

Your book was shipped today via INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR DELIVERY.

Your tracking number is RN 5699 8928 2GB.

You can follow it here;

https://www3.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/

Over the years I've shipped scores of books to Boardies via this method, and in normal times delivery can take anywhere between one and four weeks.

Enjoy the book.

best wishes

paul

Hi ***.
I hope you like your book. My kudos thread is below if you care to leave any. Also point me in the direction of yours, if you have one?
best wishes

paul

Thanks ***

•  

You got played.  But that person didn't really play on your heartstrings that way you made it seem.  "Been wanting this book forever (so I can flip it for fat stacks)"

2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

You got played.  But that person didn't really play on your heartstrings that way you made it seem.  "Been wanting this book forever (so I can flip it for fat stacks)"

Yes I agree. Perhaps I am at fault as well for making an assumption, but I really do feel like I was dealing a collector not a flipper. I honestly would never have let it go for that price. I really thought I was helping someone out.