• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Montreal Theft rings open for business again

30 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Happened to me last month, but from a dealer in the US. Just showed-up as a payment in the system, no communication, nothing matching-up with the information on the card and the address they used to ship.

Can you explain?  Like I'm 5.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Can you explain?  Like I'm 5.

It had all the tell-tale signs of a fraudulant charge.

Payment made by someone not authorized to use the card, because they could not confirm the address.

They make a payment, use a different address than the billed address. Shipping address doesn't correspond either.

These are all flagged in the payment system, the only course of action is to refund it.

As a why not, I thought I'd try calling the number they used on registration and it was disconnected.

Edited by comicwiz

Montréal? Early on in my collecting days around 1970 I was ripped off by Robert Crestohl. He sent me some garbage books and I was in high school at the time. It took a year and expensive phone calls, but with the help of the Montreal police I finally got my money back.

Edited by Ghastly542454

47 minutes ago, Ghastly542454 said:

Montréal? Early on in my collecting days around 1970 I was ripped off by Robert Crestohl. He sent me some garbage books and I was in high school at the time. I took a year and expensive phone calls, but with the help of the Montreal police I finally got my money back.

Also the home of the infamous Gerry Ross, who is still operating to this day.  I grew up in Montreal, and it's definitely a shady comic town. 

They've always had a well developed comic market, so they know their stuff, but the dealers are incestuous, there's more collusion than competition.  Rosaire Fontaine who runs Fantasticon is a trustworthy guy who handles big books.  Everyone else has what I call the "Montreal stink" on them.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:54 PM, FineCollector said:

Also the home of the infamous Gerry Ross, who is still operating to this day.  I grew up in Montreal, and it's definitely a shady comic town. 

They've always had a well developed comic market, so they know their stuff, but the dealers are incestuous, there's more collusion than competition.  Rosaire Fontaine who runs Fantasticon is a trustworthy guy who handles big books.  Everyone else has what I call the "Montreal stink" on them.

Well, saying "[e]veryone else" in Montreal has a bad reputation is quite a blanket statement. There are plenty of good folks here selling comics, but there's a definite number of rather unscrupulous ones though...

Oh the irony of this. I'm trying to close a deal on a big book with a local and it's as sketchy as can be.

The book I want was recently sold on Ebay from a Montreal seller and the winner, as well as several other bidders, are no longer registered Ebay users. Pretty fishy... And now said book is available locally via another online source. Don't worry, no payments until I have the book in hand. I was offered a price to which I agreed, but now they want more money because it's "guaranteed" to come back a higher grade if re-submitted to CGC. Then do it yourself!

END RANT

4 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Well, saying "[e]veryone else" in Montreal has a bad reputation is quite a blanket statement. There are plenty of good folks here selling comics, but there's a definite number of rather unscrupulous ones though...

Wrong

You have but three things to offer us of value.

• Greggy
  • Dare Maple Leaf Cookies
  • Some of the most attractive landscapes on planet Earth

4 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Oh the irony of this. I'm trying to close a deal on a big book with a local and it's as sketchy as can be.

The book I want was recently sold on Ebay from a Montreal seller and the winner, as well as several other bidders, are no longer registered Ebay users. Pretty fishy... And now said book is available locally via another online source. Don't worry, no payments until I have the book in hand. I was offered a price to which I agreed, but now they want more money because it's "guaranteed" to come back a higher grade if re-submitted to CGC. Then do it yourself!

END RANT

For the record, the transaction went done without a hitch. I hope to do more business with the seller.