• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mount Rushmore of Comic Artists
4 4

196 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, PopKulture said:

I never "got" Crane the way I probably should. Harriman, too. I'd take Walt Kelly over Harriman as well, although Kat operated on a surreal plane, not just a swamp. 

I added Crane simply because so many influential artists like Kirby, Beck, Sinnott, Shuster, etc. have said his form of storytelling had such a huge impact on them.

1 minute ago, PopKulture said:

I love this pick, and I know very little about the man, but I would need to know he never saw anything by Basil Wolverton to put him on my mountain.  :shy:

Crumb's main influence was funny animal comics.  When he was a kid his brother was the editor and assigned him to draw various comics.  I would say Wolverton was no influence at all.  His shading style seemed to originate organically.

Just now, kav said:

Crumb's main influence was funny animal comics.  When he was a kid his brother was the editor and assigned him to draw various comics.  I would say Wolverton was no influence at all.  His shading style seemed to originate organically.

And yes he lived nearby and I would seem him at art store I worked at.

3 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Lots of good answers but i have the correct list, everyone else can stop (im kiddjng, its all somewhat subjective)

1. Jack Kirby 

2. Osamu Tezuka, since you didnt specify American comics it makes since to include the godfather of manga.

3. Moebius. The greatest artist of Bande Dessinée, same logic of inclusion as Tezuka.

4. Carl Barks. Elevated the "funnies" of animal comics to levels never thought.

But... but... but... since Mount Rushmore is in America that sort of implies American artists. You're taking advantage of a technicality!! :slapfight:

p.s. Yeah, Barks is da man! (thumbsu

Oh, and my 4 (for influence on medium)

Eisner - Early on everyone copied him

Kirby - Silver Age everyone copied him

Adams - Bronze Age everyone copied him

McFarlane - Early 90's everyone copied him

My personal 4

Eisner

Schomburg

Steranko

Sienkiewicz

7 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I added Crane simply because so many influential artists like Kirby, Beck, Sinnott, Shuster, etc. have said his form of storytelling had such a huge impact on them.

You jogged my memory...Sinnott went to Burne Hogarth’s school, and he talked about what an influence he was on many artists. Joe also said many of his peer artists in the 50’s and 60’s looked up to Lou Fine as their ideal of a master draftsman.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Now that is the kind of interesting brush with fame that's going to make me consider you for my film if they ever task me with Ghost World 2! 

Please stand by... 

Edited by PopKulture

1 minute ago, thunsicker said:

Eisner - Early on everyone copied him

Kirby - Silver Age everyone copied him

Adams - Bronze Age everyone copied him

McFarlane - Early 90's everyone copied him

Brilliant.  Not a fan of eisner or Mc farlane but I cannot argue the logic here-we start construction immediately.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Also co worker was his neighbor and hung out there a lot as their daughters were playmates.  Pretty sure he was featured in one of the weirdo strips-the neighbor that stopped by.  Looked just like him.

Just now, kav said:

Also co worker was his neighbor and hung out there a lot as their daughters were playmates.  Pretty sure he was featured in one of the weirdo strips-the neighbor that stopped by.  Looked just like him.

So your co-worker was the model for either Shuman the Human or Flakey Foont? 

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

So your co-worker was the model for either Shuman the Human or Flakey Foont? 

WEIRDO not ZAP!!! :makepoint: