• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mount Rushmore of Comic Artists
4 4

196 posts in this topic

Just now, PopKulture said:

I too was impressed by the simple elegance of the logic.  (thumbsu

Agreed, but I remember from some Modern thread that there’s a coalition of boardies who contend that everyone in the 90’s including McFarlane were copying Michael Golden and Art Adams. We’ve got to get those guys in here to liven it up. Blanking on who it was.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Agreed, but I remember from some Modern thread that there’s a coalition of boardies who contend that everyone in the 90’s including McFarlane were copying Michael Golden and Art Adams. We’ve got to get those guys in here to liven it up. Blanking on who it was.

Didnt mc farlane and whatnot copy liefeld tho?

Just now, Readcomix said:

Well ya didn’t capitalize it the first time! I thought ya meant the character was a weirdo who popped in. doh!

Oh lord ya got me

8 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

When his odyssey was on display for all to see in that brilliant New Mutants run, I was simply blown away.  

cant read any comic with the word odyssey in it due to the horriffic kneel atoms batman odyssey.

1 minute ago, kav said:

cant read any comic with the word odyssey in it due to the horriffic kneel atoms batman odyssey.

sorry my bad I thought you meant he did a book called odyssey.
PTSD from the Atoms book I suspect.  I got triggered.

Edited by kav

Funny, we’ve got none of the E.C. masterminds named. One could at least make a case for Kurtzman and the influence of Mad, for example. But I guess that’s an argument for influence on content trends, rather than artistic style trends. If you go that route, you can consider Kurtzman, Charles Biro, maybe Bob Montana, and, as always, Kirby.

Funny, we’ve got none of the E.C. masterminds named. One could at least make a case for Kurtzman and the influence of Mad, for example. But I guess that’s an argument for influence on content trends, rather than artistic style trends. If you go that route, you can consider Kurtzman, Charles Biro, maybe Bob Montana, and, as always, Kirby.

omg WILL ELDER

1 minute ago, catman76 said:

Robert Crumb

Justin Green

Spain Rodriguez

Gilbert Shelton

maybe swap spain for robert williams tho-his art was seemingly impossible to draw and perfect, the stories were imagination times 1000

1 minute ago, catman76 said:

Crumb is on criterion, I have the bluray of it

Good to know; thank you!

And I don’t know who I’d personally drop from your four all-time cartoonists list, but I’d have a hard time leaving Windsor McCay out. And in the same spirit as Schultz, who is obviously not there on ground-breaking artwork itself, I have to consider Watterson as a storyteller too.

3 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Agreed, but I personally like Spain more so I picked him over Williams.

We start construction immediately.

You just reminded me — Speaking of comic artists and stone monuments, Herb Trimpe was married to Linda Fite, daughter of Harvey Fite, known for his stone construction “Opus 40” (he died approx. 37 years into his 40-year project).

Okay, with that trespass into utter obscurity, are you sure we're not jogging things from your memory that you'll need later on?? :baiting: