• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mount Rushmore of Comic Artists
4 4

196 posts in this topic

I think criteria is important because this is all subjective, it really is. Are we going for who had the widest influence or just who was the most popular, or.... I know I'm over-thinking this but it does influence our own answers, right? But again: subjective. I mean, I personally prefer Al Milgrom's Hulk issues to Byrne's Hulk issues so you'll never get two same answers. Now, I like Hal Foster and Alex Raymond and Roy Crane etc. but I initially suggested them in my own response to this question simply because I've read of so many formative comic artists citing them as their influence- but if we're not talking about width and range of influence- and certainly, Adams would be on that list if we were- then it's an entirely different kind of question altogether. 

2 hours ago, Delphi22 said:

Yes frazetta did a lot of inking but as far as I know shock suspense 13 was the only story he penciled.
If we're doing inkers thats a separate Mt Rushmore.
Ps that list is a bit out of whack.  I checked a few like Adv 150 and Frazetta had nothing to do with them.

Edited by kav

I will put in my standard vote for Warren Kremer. A stalwart for Harvey Comics for nearly four decades, where in addition to being their top artist he also served as art director and created thousands of covers, he is also renowned for some of the most iconic covers of the pre-code horror era and, post-code, went on to create or define Richie Rich, Hot Stuff, Casper, Little Dot, etc. These characters may not be well known anymore, but at one time probably sold more titles than any other characters from any other comic company.

When Harvey folded in the early 1980's Kremer was hired by Marvel Comics. After a brief visit to the legendary bullpen to drop off some finished work, Marie Severin said: "They don't know it, but this is the best artist who ever walked through these doors."

38 minutes ago, kav said:

Yes frazetta did a lot of inking but as far as I know shock suspense 13 was the only story he penciled.
If we're doing inkers thats a separate Mt Rushmore.
Ps that list is a bit out of whack.  I checked a few like Adv 150 and Frazetta had nothing to do with them.

thunda 1.jpg

Just now, VintageComics said:

thunda 1.jpg

I forgot that one!  
Ok so Ferzetta drew 2 comics-still no rushmore.

I'm not sure a series of inserts like this cuts the mustard for a Mt rushmore.  Technically, they are not 'comics'.

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 12.08.11 PM.png

8 minutes ago, Delphi22 said:

I guess there were too many pages for you to read? There are a bunch of 6-7 page stories he did like White Indian and Black Knight. Here's an example of this, does this not count? 

https://www.comics.org/issue/205340/#419250

Thx!
Yes it was too many pages to go thru.

Poor Curt Swan.  No one cares about him but me.  Worked hard for decades.  Died a broke alcoholic, replaced by the Liefeld group of 'new' 'exciting' artists.  Couldnt get work any more.  Tried to draw like them (bad) but couldn't.

26 minutes ago, kav said:

Poor Curt Swan.  No one cares about him but me.  Worked hard for decades.  Died a broke alcoholic, replaced by the Liefeld group of 'new' 'exciting' artists.  Couldnt get work any more.  Tried to draw like them (bad) but couldn't.

Holy s**t, is that true?! Swan died a "broke alcoholic"? I had no idea about that. I was under the impression Swan kind of winded down towards retirement and wasn't actively trying to get full-time work by whenever Liefeld was hot. When did Swan try to draw like Liefeld? I know Herb Trimpe did for "Fantastic Four Unlimited" but I've ever heard that about Swan. Wow.

1 minute ago, wisbyron said:

Holy s**t, is that true?! Swan died a "broke alcoholic"? I had no idea about that. I was under the impression Swan kind of winded down towards retirement and wasn't actively trying to get full-time work by whenever Liefeld was hot. When did Swan try to draw like Liefeld? I know Herb Trimpe did for "Fantastic Four Unlimited" but I've ever heard that about Swan. Wow.

In the book Curt Swan, a Life in Comics the sad story was unfolded.  It was in the 90s when he tried to draw 'dynamic'.  Just a very sad story.
Curt Swan A Life in Comics: Eddy Zeno, J. David Spurlock, Mort Walker:  9781887591409: Amazon.com: Books

When he stopped getting work he said "out with the old, in with the new" that line broke my heart.
The fact that the new was people like Liefeld who made a fortune just kills me.

Oh man, thanks Kav. I had no idea whatsoever. The only things I've ever read about Swan are all gleamed from things others had said in passing in various TwoMorrows interviews or something and I had no idea. That's terrible, terrible. Veterans should be properly tended to but ageism in comics has always run rampant. 

1 minute ago, kav said:

When he stopped getting work he said "out with the old, in with the new" that line broke my heart.
The fact that the new was people like Liefeld who made a fortune just kills me.

Yeah I've always felt that way too but that's why I always say I don't blame Liefeld; I blame the people who enabled Liefeld: speculators. Wizard, fans, etc. If no one bought that stuff it wouldn't have succeeded. It's the same with anything else. I don't blame the dealer, I blame the buyer. Rejecting the product invalidates the dealer.

39 minutes ago, kav said:

Hey was a solid journeyman artist with a huge body of work (like zillions of others) but I never found him inspiring or extraordinary.

There's a zillion artists like this (Tuska, Milgrom, Colan, etc etc) with long, solid careers but I'd never point to them as stand out artists.

(shrug)

Again it all depends on the criteria you are using. If it's size of body of work then yes, he trumps Frazetta.

Carmine Infantino is another artist that definitely is up there. Huge body of work, highly inspirational and a great style.

You can make the arguement that he was the Silver Age until Marvel took off.

All depends in the criteria we're using.

How were the 4 figures for Rushmore chosen? ???

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Hey was a solid journeyman artist with a huge body of work (like zillions of others) but I never found him inspiring or extraordinary.

There's a zillion artists like this (Tuska, Milgrom, Colan, etc etc) with long, solid careers but I'd never point to them as stand out artists.

(shrug)

Again it all depends on the criteria you are using. If it's size of body of work then yes, he trumps Frazetta.

Curt Swan's drawing was elegant.  He was a rarity.

Yeah, it's all subjective regardless of majority view. As I said earlier, Al Milgrom's Hulk stands out to be because I vividly remember buying those issues at 7-11 when I was 7 years old and being captivated by them. I'm sure many people have similar experiences that lends to their appreciation of an individual artist. I've always found Byrne really bland and not that captivating.