• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS: ROGUE SQUADRON directed by Patty Jenkins (2023)

49 posts in this topic

No less than 10 Star Wars TV series are coming to Disney+ in the next few years — including Obi-Wan Kenobi, Andor, Star Wars: The Bad Batch, Star Wars Visions, Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic, Star Wars: Lando, and Star Wars: Ahsoka. That seems like a lot of Star Wars stuff right there. But Lucasfilm isn’t abandoning the Star Wars movie franchise either. At Disney’s Investor Day they confirmed that Taika Waititi is writing a new Star Wars movie right now. And they also revealed a previously unannounced project: A Star Wars film from Patty Jenkins called Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, about the famous group of X-Wing pilots.

Shortly after Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy announced the news, Patty Jenkins posted a video to her Twitter account where he described why she wanted to take on the project. “I love to move fast,” she explained. “I grew up the daughter of a great fighter pilot, and every day I would wake up and go outside and look up and see my father and his squadron taking off in their F-4s roaring across the sky, and it was the most thrilling thing still I’ve experienced in my entire life.”

When Jenkins’ father died, it “ignited a desire” in her to turn that tragedy and the thrill she felt into “the greatest fighter pilot movie of all time.” She couldn’t find the right story for that movie, she explained — until Star Wars: Rogue Squadron came along.

Edited by Bosco685

Very excited for this and look forward to what they can do outside of the Skywalker saga like they did with Rogue One. 

And yes, I may or may not have bought up some books at the announcement that people were not paying attention to. 

32 minutes ago, cousin itt said:

I hope we get something feels like classic star wars.  Here's a fan-made thing from 2017 that (IMO) beats anything disney has done with star wars (well, except maybe rogue one).  C'mon disney, if a fan can do this for free, why can't you do this with all of your billions?

THAT was fan-made?? Wow!

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Ha, this post has aged quite a bit in the past few days.

Thankfully X-Wings don't have the same physical limitations of jet fighters.  In other words, no one has to ask why random X-Wings are fueled up and whether they can fly several thousand miles.  Now if TIE Fighter squadrons start jumping into hyperspace, i'm gonna be a little concerned...

The mystery of who is writing Patty Jenkins’ Star Wars movie has been solved.

Matthew Robinson, who co-wrote and co-directed with Ricky Gervais the 2009 comedy The Invention of Lying, is penning the -script to Rogue Squadron, which Jenkins is due to direct for Lucasfilm and Disney, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Lucasfilm had no comment.

Jenkins’ involvement was revealed in December 2020 by Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy during Disney’s investor day. In a separate video posted on Twitter, Jenkins said she is using her fighter pilot father as an inspiration for the project and has wanted to make the “greatest fighter pilot movie ever made.”

I really hope this provides a compelling backstory for the members of Rogue Squadron, similar to how Clone Wars really made you connect with the clones. Their betrayal (if you can call it that) had so much more impact after watching Clone Wars.

We got Wedge’s backstory in Rebels and we’ve all had a laugh at Jek Porkins, but this could help flesh out those other characters who simply served as cannon fodder while Luke and the gang blew up two Death Stars. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Rogue Squadron, the Star Wars feature project due to be directed by Wonder Woman filmmaker Patty Jenkins, has been caught in the tractor beam and will take a little longer to make it to the big screen.

Jenkins and writer Matthew Robinson have been developing Squadron for Lucasfilm for over a year, with the goal of starting production in 2022. It was to have gone into preproduction by the end of this year.

However, sources say the producers and filmmaking team came to the realization that Jenkins’ schedule and other commitments wouldn’t allow for the window needed to make the movie in 2022.

The question now is whether the next film is Old Republic or High Republic based on the chatter online the past two days. 

https://lrmonline.com/news/old-republic-or-high-republic-movie-we-are-saying-high-republic-first-exclusive-barside-buzz/

I really hope it is the High Republic that they focus the next decade or two on................

Edited by kimik