• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gemini Mailers. Yea or Nay?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

I use them. You need to make sure you use the cardboard sandwich method as well. I wouldn’t recommend shipping a comic in them with no additional protection. 

What additional protection is needed?  Also what method do you use for shipping?  Thanks

Edited by Tafkap

14 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

What additional protection is needed?  Also what method do you use for shipping?  Thanks

I wrap the comic(s) in a page of a newspaper and sandwich the comic(s) between two corrugated pieces of cardboard that are larger than the comic. I put that comic sandwich inside the Gemini Mailer.  This added bulk prevents the comic from slipping and sliding around, as well as providing protection from crushes, punctures, and bends. The Gemini Mailers shouldn’t bend, but you can never be too carful. 

You can also tape the comic to the cardboard if you like, but I avoid it because I’ve accidentally bent a comic or two by removing, what felt like, yards of tape. 

I ship USPS First Class until Priority is needed because of weight. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

33 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I wrap the comic(s) in a page of a newspaper and sandwich the comic(s) between two corrugated pieces of cardboard that are larger than the comic. I put that comic sandwich inside the Gemini Mailer.  This added bulk prevents the comic from slipping and sliding around, as well as providing protection from crushes, punctures, and bends. The Gemini Mailers shouldn’t bend, but you can never be too carful. 

You can also tape the comic to the cardboard if you like, but I avoid it because I’ve accidentally bent a comic or two by removing, what felt like, yards of tape. 

I ship USPS First Class until Priority is needed because of weight. 

might I suggest a putting the comic inside a priority mail tyvek envelope instead of newspaper sheet?

4 minutes ago, littledoom said:

might I suggest a putting the comic inside a priority mail tyvek envelope instead of newspaper sheet?

Not if you are shipping First Class. I’m sure they will probably never check, but I like to keep things above board. If I’m shipping Priority, sure.

I’m sure a regular tyvek envelope would work great, but that adds additional expense.  

Edited by awakeintheashes

They are good, but you need to use the cardboard sandwich. People stick a book just with  a bag and board ... not good .. and even worse, they TAPE that book to the inside of the mailer, which is almost impossible to undo without bending the heck out of the book. I am not sure how anyone would view them as "flimsy"... if you are using a sandwich inside. A single book is 11-12 ounces, so you can often get it out first class for under $4.50. I bought a bunch of them at once and I think I paid 60 cent each. So I only lose a little bit of $ shipping first class with them at $5, and if sent media, you break even, maybe make a little. If you want to be really good, make the sandwich, wrap it in saran wrap to help protect from any moisture, And you should probably tape the edges of the gemini too.

Nay.

They are good, but books can still get damaged. I always recommend a box, something that's firm with walls. 

I've sold for about 6 years on ebay, and I've experimented with anything you can imagine. The FedEx boxes have been my most successful item/bang for buck.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:06 PM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I use them. They are about $1 each.  One book media mail with tracking is $2.80. I can charge $4 shipping for one book and not lose my shirt schlepping it to the PO. 

Could you please let me know where I can get them for $1 each?  The places I've been looking at have been more.  Thanks.  

On 12/11/2020 at 10:09 AM, D2 said:

Nay.

They are good, but books can still get damaged. I always recommend a box, something that's firm with walls. 

I've sold for about 6 years on ebay, and I've experimented with anything you can imagine. The FedEx boxes have been my most successful item/bang for buck.

Which Fed Ex boxes?  I've been sending slabs with Medium Priority which are not the cheapest way to send.  Thanks. 

On 12/11/2020 at 10:04 AM, the blob said:

They are good, but you need to use the cardboard sandwich. People stick a book just with  a bag and board ... not good .. and even worse, they TAPE that book to the inside of the mailer, which is almost impossible to undo without bending the heck out of the book. I am not sure how anyone would view them as "flimsy"... if you are using a sandwich inside. A single book is 11-12 ounces, so you can often get it out first class for under $4.50. I bought a bunch of them at once and I think I paid 60 cent each. So I only lose a little bit of $ shipping first class with them at $5, and if sent media, you break even, maybe make a little. If you want to be really good, make the sandwich, wrap it in saran wrap to help protect from any moisture, And you should probably tape the edges of the gemini too.

60 cents each where?  Thanks!

On 12/11/2020 at 1:04 PM, the blob said:

they TAPE that book to the inside of the mailer, which is almost impossible to undo without bending the heck out of the book.

I HATE this method. Why would anyone think this is a good idea?

Just now, Tafkap said:

60 cents each where?  Thanks!

I waited and waited for the best deal with free or cheapest shipping when there was an ebay coupon. I have no idea what they cost now. This was like 18 months ago.

6 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

Which Fed Ex boxes?  I've been sending slabs with Medium Priority which are not the cheapest way to send.  Thanks. 

I believe the size is 12 1/2 x 15 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches

I don't know the name of them, but I get them directly from my shipper and they are $2.00 for 25 boxes, sensational.