• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gemini Mailers. Yea or Nay?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

I use these rigid mailers, sandwiched in two pieces of cardboard, usually USPS box cuttings. Generally shipping ends up being just around 8oz for a modern comic+cardboard. Gemini+cardboard generally bump me to 9oz which ends up being up to 50 cents more to ship due to USPS's tiering system. Never had an issue with them in about 100 sales, they store easier, and they can't get crushed. People may scoff, but they're near impossible to bend with stuff inside. Comes out to about 65 cents each.

I bought some from "Bags Unlimited"..They seem ok but will definitely put the books in between two pieces of sturdy cardboard.  
Will try that blue painters tape to tape them down to prevent shifting around while in transport.
Seems to work well and fairly easy to remove without bending the book. 
I have other white mailers for pricier books.  They are very sturdy once fully packaged up.  I sometimes put them in a priority mail box for added protection.

7 hours ago, Tnexus said:

I use these rigid mailers, sandwiched in two pieces of cardboard, usually USPS box cuttings. Generally shipping ends up being just around 8oz for a modern comic+cardboard. Gemini+cardboard generally bump me to 9oz which ends up being up to 50 cents more to ship due to USPS's tiering system. Never had an issue with them in about 100 sales, they store easier, and they can't get crushed. People may scoff, but they're near impossible to bend with stuff inside. Comes out to about 65 cents each.

Those are not great for sending 5 or 6 books though.

7 hours ago, Tnexus said:

You can get USPS 1095 boxes with the same dimensions for $0 shipped directly to you..

yeah, usps is pretty much figuring out new ways to go bankrupt. ship folks priority mail boxes that they then cut up to make sandwhiches with and no send priority mail. not that you can't walk into a staples or UPS store and ask for a bunch of ups boxes and do the same.

For better protection I have switched from using cardboard sandwiches to foam board. The foam board is more rigid stands up to impacts better and is lighter. I have been using this for years and to me it may cost a little for ( per small package) but anyone who has ever received my packages would say they are bomb proof. It also adds flexibility to build up any size box you need. I have shipped anything from cards to long boxes using this method and both local and international.  ) also why you see the security tape ( only way to ship registered insure International) it definitely makes a nice rigid box. I switched to painters tape with edge folded like flag for easy removal. Nothing worse than a comic damaged when you try to open it.20200724_183803.thumb.jpg.ab66771be55722afebac110fbccbf2e8.jpg20200724_183831.thumb.jpg.f8d68ae12f59fc58eb71ee50879e2977.jpg20181220_121958.thumb.jpg.cc7b45ff176e2558f5c586de6392848a.jpg20190614_190306.thumb.jpg.ad776b4b352dc97466fd4ff74ef85057.jpg20190614_191528.thumb.jpg.b59f1ed67876d2055006476e0328e9b7.jpg20190614_192452.thumb.jpg.424d1d2790059a267650d6b6a8d6a084.jpg20190614_193403.thumb.jpg.c55d9316c07620f4d80c8055887b61d6.jpg20190614_193906.thumb.jpg.dc99dbc52cc660053ebed7926543b7b4.jpg

20190614_194035.thumb.jpg.4690d3284e509b81a059f91e3e126bf7.jpg20190614_193455.thumb.jpg.4d611cdcce0d80dc19a6c0529b6c35ca.jpg

now with single comics I like to take the foam board and cut it where it is twice the size of the book then cut the middle most of the way through so it will fold then sandwich the book in and use the painter's tape.  Then I will wrap that in one layer of bubble wrap inside of a Gemini.  If it is more expensive then , instead of a Gemini, I will build my own box out of the foam board that holds the sandwich with bubble wrap around it. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

9 hours ago, the blob said:

yeah, usps is pretty much figuring out new ways to go bankrupt. ship folks priority mail boxes that they then cut up to make sandwhiches with and no send priority mail. not that you can't walk into a staples or UPS store and ask for a bunch of ups boxes and do the same.

The only reason USPS still exists is because it’s part of the federal government , UPS and FedEx run circles around them , USPS is basically the Mark i suit in iron man....

2 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

The only reason USPS still exists is because it’s part of the federal government , UPS and FedEx run circles around them , USPS is basically the Mark i suit in iron man....

Except it is far more expensive for us little guys to ship using UPS or Fedex when it comes to our smaller comic packages, nearly 2X as much. Maybe if you are a bigger volume shipper it gets closer. I guess UPS ground and USPS priority package costs are pretty similar if you're sending slabs.

My understanding is that if usps did not have bizarre pension rules and accounting rules obligations imposed on them and were not forced to use fedex airplanes (which senator made that happen?) they would be fine financially (the airplanes part may not have much of an impact)

Edited by the blob

How much does it cost to ship a long box of comics UPS, l am trying to figure out the ups website, but it looks like it might be in the $20-$25 range, which might be more than media mail, but I'd probably prefer that to the risk of media mail

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

How much does it cost to ship a long box of comics UPS, l am trying to figure out the ups website, but it looks like it might be in the $20-$25 range, which might be more than media mail, but I'd probably prefer that to the risk of media mail

Sounds about right the last time I did it.  But it really comes down to how far the books have to go since UPS ground is based on zones.

21 hours ago, the blob said:

actually, a little cheaper right off their website, just under 60 cents each, use a coupon code and even cheaper.  https://www.geminicomicsupply.com/shop/comic-flash-mailers/  coupon: CERTIFIED10

Thanks for the heads up.  I just grabbed 450 for $252 shipped which is about $0.56 a piece - prices seem to be creeping up to nearly $0.70 a piece on E-Bay

I'm going thru about 25 - 30 of these bad boys a week so a $0.10 savings adds up fast.  Saved money is free money!

Edited by 1Cool

35 minutes ago, the blob said:

Except it is far more expensive for us little guys to ship using UPS or Fedex when it comes to our smaller comic packages, nearly 2X as much. Maybe if you are a bigger volume shipper it gets closer. I guess UPS ground and USPS priority package costs are pretty similar if you're sending slabs.

My understanding is that if usps did not have bizarre pension rules and accounting rules obligations imposed on them and were not forced to use fedex airplanes (which senator made that happen?) they would be fine financially (the airplanes part may not have much of an impact)

Exactly - I detest USPS - but still use them ...which follows this similar logic 

image.gif.596e03eac5d3dc0f8818122ffdadfe3b.gif

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Sounds about right the last time I did it.  But it really comes down to how far the books have to go since UPS ground is based on zones.

I tried NYC to Los Angeles on their website. In reality I would probably take it to my local staples ups store if i ever did send it that way.

For those that mail a lot I just checked and the price drops to $0.50 a piece (shipped) if you buy 700 of the mailers directly thru Gemini itself and using the 10% discount.  Not too shabby.

Yea. I am too lazy to cut cardboard sandwiches myself. I have shipped hundreds of books in Gemini Mailers, and have not had an issue.

I recommend wrapping comics in small bubble-wrap inside the mailer, and taping the bubble wrap to the mailer so it doesn't slide around. Use extra comic backing boards for additional protection. Also, after taping shut, use additional packing tape on both ends of the mailer, slightly pinching the ends, so it can't pop open. 

For higher-value comics, use a top-loader, and/or put the mailer inside a larger box.

38 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

For those that mail a lot I just checked and the price drops to $0.50 a piece (shipped) if you buy 700 of the mailers directly thru Gemini itself and using the 10% discount.  Not too shabby.

I bought 150 as I may still have 100 from my last purchase of either 200 or 300. But yeah, I could burn through that pretty quickly just doing a monthly sale here.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:22 PM, Tafkap said:

I'm going to try to start selling some raws.  I've been pretty reluctant up until now.  Are the Gemini Mailers a good thing?  Cost efficient?  Better just to make your own package?  Thanks!

Hotflips.com mailers are much sturdier than Gemini mailers, more than highly recommended.