• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gemini Mailers. Yea or Nay?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Yea. I am too lazy to cut cardboard sandwiches myself. I have shipped hundreds of books in Gemini Mailers, and have not had an issue.

I recommend wrapping comics in small bubble-wrap inside the mailer, and taping the bubble wrap to the mailer so it doesn't slide around. Use extra comic backing boards for additional protection. Also, after taping shut, use additional packing tape on both ends of the mailer, slightly pinching the ends, so it can't pop open. 

For higher-value comics, use a top-loader, and/or put the mailer inside a larger box.

If you are using enough extra comic boards, etc., that should suffice too. As the boards cost me 10 cents each and my wife is constantly getting huge boxes shipped to the house I need to break down anyway for recycling, ever couple of months I cut a bunch up. If I ever started selling 50, 100 items a month it might become and issue.

5 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

Hotflips.com mailers are much sturdier than Gemini mailers, more than highly recommended.

I am looking at what hotflips has on their website. It looks identical to the gemini mailer, except it does not say gemini on it. do you think it is made from a higher grade carboard? Because it costs 50% more.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I am looking at what hotflips has on their website. It looks identical to the gemini mailer, except it does not say gemini on it. do you think it is made from a higher grade carboard? Because it costs 50% more.

Yes, higher test(is that the right word?) cardboard.  I have both in hand right now, the Hotflps mailer significantly thicker, I will post a picture in a minute..

Here is the side by side comparison of Gemini (bottom) and Hotflips (top) mailer.  Both shown are single panel of the mailers, You can see the better quality of the Hotflips one.

IMG_0716.thumb.jpg.da85dcff996a80b118c3fd76e0aa5a1e.jpg

I've never gotten even a neutral feedback or complaint about the Gemini mailers.  I typically surround the book(s) in bubble wrap and then tape up the mailer tightly so there is very little shifting of the book inside the package.  The package isn't waterproof but when you consider the mailer, bubble wrap and the bag/board the package would really need to get soaked for any issues to arise.  Higher priced books and slabs get priority box treatment but for lower priced books I've not heard any complaints yet. 

4 hours ago, GACollectibles said:

Here is the side by side comparison of Gemini (bottom) and Hotflips (top) mailer.  Both shown are single panel of the mailers, You can see the better quality of the Hotflips one.

IMG_0716.thumb.jpg.da85dcff996a80b118c3fd76e0aa5a1e.jpg

As I am using 2 pieces of cardboard (often thick ones) inside as a sandwhich I am not concerned, but if you go the no sandwhich route, the hotflips one is better, but 30+ cents more a pop....

52 minutes ago, the blob said:

My mailers came today. I forgot how heavy 150 of these are. Gonna be a brute getting that up to my third floor.

If you had bought from Hotflips they would have carried them up the stairs for you.

1 minute ago, GACollectibles said:

If you had bought from Hotflips they would have carried them up the stairs for you.

No they wouldn't have. And it sounds like the box would have weighed 50% more with all that high test cardboard!

Just now, the blob said:

No they wouldn't have. And it sounds like the box would have weighed 50% more with all that high test cardboard!

They do ship them (100) per box, so probably not 50% more.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:22 PM, Tafkap said:

I'm going to try to start selling some raws.  I've been pretty reluctant up until now.  Are the Gemini Mailers a good thing?  Cost efficient?  Better just to make your own package?  Thanks!

Personally I don't trust or buy from sellers on ebay that don't use Geminis (or something very similar/ better (i.e. a cardboard box)). Assuming you're just selling 1 to 4 or 5 raw comics at a time, they're great. I don't remember if it's 50 or 100 mailers you have to buy before the price drops to .50 cents each. (I actually had to look it up at some point because a seller wanted to sandwich a $20 or $30 dollar raw comic between two pieces of cardboard and mail it in a soft padded envelope then complained it would be too expensive for them to buy gemini mailers).

I would recommend you double board the comic (front and back), tape it down with tape that can be easily lifted (painter's tape) or cut (scotch), and either add a piece of cardboard or bubble wrap (you can get a huge roll at any lowes for less than $20 w/probably better prices from Uline online) to buffer the inside between the comic and the folded cardboard. I automatically bookmark ebay sellers that show attention to detail like this in their packing. It's also nice when sellers show an example photo on the item page of how they ship their books.

Do NOT trust 'stiff envelope mailers.' Any package that falls on them will damage whatever is inside. My own experience is below and why I no longer buy from anyone trying to ship like this:

IMG_5788.thumb.JPG.9ac4553c99e76ba19a59931edc0254a1.JPG.d6c32ba0290f981bfd042a1be9e58ecc.JPG

On 12/16/2020 at 1:18 PM, KPR Comics said:

yea.  Couple with USPS Legal Sized Envelope.

I really don't like the Geminis, as they are flimsy, but when they are put inside the Legal Sized Envelope, I have not seen any damage to the box.  The bad part is you have to buy the shipping from USPS, as it is not a selection in Paypal shipping. If you use "priority envelope" in paypal, it comes in postage due.

I have seen damage when the Geminis are shipped nekkid.

I like the ULINE S-327 with several sheets of cardboard added to the inside. There is something about this flat configuration that seems to slip through the postal machines without the damage you see on a lot of priority boxes. And you can ship 1-3 books first class if under 16 ounces and using Paypal shipping. I have received a ton of books in this configuration, and don't recall anything coming in damaged. 12 1/8 x 9 1/8 x 1" White Easy-Fold Mailers S-327 - Uline

I really don't like the Geminis, as they are flimsy, but when they are put inside the Legal Sized Envelope, I have not seen any damage to the box.  The bad part is you have to buy the shipping from USPS, as it is not a selection in Paypal shipping. If you use "priority envelope" in paypal, it comes in postage due.

Yeah, it is annoying PP doesn't offer Legal Sized Priority envelope as option. eBay and Shopify do.

FWIW you can buy "forever" pre-stamped Legal Priority envelopes direct from USPS. They come in handy.

18 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Yeah, it is annoying PP doesn't offer Legal Sized Priority envelope as option. eBay and Shopify do.

FWIW you can buy "forever" pre-stamped Legal Priority envelopes direct from USPS. They come in handy.

Going up in price .20 per on 1/24.

But I don't think I want a "postage inventory"

34 minutes ago, adampasz said:
44 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Going up in price .20 per on 1/24.

But I don't think I want a "postage inventory"

Forever postage might gain value more quickly than your comics. :P

I doubt it - I think my comics have out performed just about anything else. :p