• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gemini Mailers. Yea or Nay?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2020 at 2:55 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I HATE this method. Why would anyone think this is a good idea?

I had a guy request it for a XMen 101 I just sold him. It has benefits, and I haven't had any issues removing it, I just use the edge of a scissors blade to cut where its taped to the inside of Geminis, a good inch away from the comic itself. Haven't had any issues. 

Screenshot_20201230-051906_Mercari.jpg

21 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I really don't like the Geminis, as they are flimsy, but when they are put inside the Legal Sized Envelope, I have not seen any damage to the box.  The bad part is you have to buy the shipping from USPS, as it is not a selection in Paypal shipping. If you use "priority envelope" in paypal, it comes in postage due.

I have seen damage when the Geminis are shipped nekkid.

I like the ULINE S-327 with several sheets of cardboard added to the inside. There is something about this flat configuration that seems to slip through the postal machines without the damage you see on a lot of priority boxes. And you can ship 1-3 books first class if under 16 ounces and using Paypal shipping. I have received a ton of books in this configuration, and don't recall anything coming in damaged. 12 1/8 x 9 1/8 x 1" White Easy-Fold Mailers S-327 - Uline

Agreed on the having to use USPS instead of PP, but the workaround (at least the last time I shipped which was over a year ago) is to print through ebay using a prior sale and just changing the address.

41 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

Agreed on the having to use USPS instead of PP, but the workaround (at least the last time I shipped which was over a year ago) is to print through ebay using a prior sale and just changing the address.

Yeah - I basically don't sell on eBay, so wouldn't know.

Just now, greggy said:
1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - I basically don't sell on eBay, so wouldn't know.

You don't know a lot, eh?

Yeah - I know a lot less than what I do know, which is the biggest part of the battle.

I try not to give advice too much advice on all the stuff I'm clueless about, unlike most around here.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - I know a lot less than what I do know, which is the biggest part of the battle.

I try not to give advice too much advice on all the stuff I'm clueless about, unlike most around here.

Wise advice

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

My favorite is when people say stuff like "Well, I'm no expert" or "I don't have much experience with..." and then proceed to give their "advice" anyway. 

41 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

My favorite is when people say stuff like "Well, I'm no expert" or "I don't have much experience with..." and then proceed to give their "advice" anyway. 

The good ol' Doogie Howser/Neil Patrick Harris. 

I may not be a doctor,  but I did play one on TV!

neil-patrick-harris-doogie-howser-abc.thumb.jpg.333aad1bcb609c88ca58aeb34ebecf4f.jpg

or the modern equivalent.  

I may not be a doctor, but I looked it up on WebMD!

:facepalm:

I've been using them for cheaper books for years. Never had an issue. I get the mailers and their precut pads, because I hate cutting cardboard more than just about anything else I can think of. So, for books that are $50 or less, Gemini's work great for me. And as has been pointed out, they slip perfectly into a Priority Legal Flat Rate envelope if you want to go that route.

For slightly more expensive books I still go the cardboard sandwich in bubble wrap, in the 1092/1095 priority combo box.

These methods work great for me as the supplies are cheap (geminis) or free (1092/1095, legal envelopes), and fast. I've never had a book damaged using any of these methods, but it's not impossible, obviously. I have to weigh my time/cost versus what I'm willing to eat (or deal with the USPS insurance claim process) should a book get damaged.

For stuff that I'm not willing to take that slight chance (too expensive to write off easily), I go with nice, heavy box with the sandwich/bubble wrap combo. 

For slabs, same, though I don't deal much in slabs.

I've been selling on ebay for nearly 25 years. I've used Gemini as long as they've been around, I think they used to have another name, didn't they? I remember a few years ago I emailed them because I was so happy with the shippers as well as the shipping speed (I'd ordered directly from their website.) Just wanted to say thanks. Out of the blue, they sent me a free package of 50 shippers. I was very surprised and impressed. Like them a lot.

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

IMO this truly is a missed opportunity. I think an Ask Lizard Anything thread would be absolute gold. And I’m not talking about comics, oh no. I mean Dr Phil type stuff. They line up, you knock ‘em down! Well, they might already be down so maybe just a swift kick to the rib cage will do. 

Mmmm...two kicks. Better to be sure. 
:makepoint:

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The good ol' Doogie Howser/Neil Patrick Harris. 

I may not be a doctor,  but I did play one on TV!

neil-patrick-harris-doogie-howser-abc.thumb.jpg.333aad1bcb609c88ca58aeb34ebecf4f.jpg

or the modern equivalent.  

I may not be a doctor, but I looked it up on WebMD!

:facepalm:

Or wikipedia. lol 

6 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

that's what I do when somebody doesn't pay with goods and services. but i think the original buyer may get an e-mail confirmation and get confused.