• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney + announces 20 Marvel and Star Wars shows, is it too much?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Not really commenting on each individual series,  just there are so many.  Is this over saturation?  I noticed no movies announced, is Disney getting out of the movie business post Covid?  I love the idea of lots of content for material I love, but just worried is this going too far.

https://www.al.com/life/2020/12/disney-star-wars-marvel-announcement-what-to-know-about-new-streaming-series-movies.html

Not all the news was in streaming. Lucasfilm announced that Patty Jenkins (“Wonder Woman”) will direct the next “Star Wars” theatrical film, “Rogue Squadron,” with a release in theaters planned for Christmas 2023.

Today's announcement was epic. I don't think it's too much content. Remember, this will be over the course of 3-4 years.

FWIW, I'm also in the minority that liked RoS. So what do I know. (shrug)

No... here is why... 

They could plan out an entire schedule hoping people return to movie theaters... and mimic in some form the WB model of simultaneous distribution on HBO Max and the theaters much to the annoyance to the theaters...

OR 

Focus on episodic television that continues to promote their streaming service and put an indefinite time of development on the movies that they said would arrive in theaters.   The death of Chadwick Boseman + Covid allows Disney to put the brakes (not a full stop) on the Marvel Universe theatrical releases for now while in the mean time accelerating down the streaming release path. 

Two of the new shows/movies they announced I could do without. Willow and Indiana Jones.  Harrison Ford is just too old to be Indy anymore and I have no interest in seeing a continuation of the damage from Kingdom of the Bone-Headed Skull.  Out of the 20 announced I’m guessing some will fall by the wayside.  

They dragged out Disney+ with one show for a year charging people $8 a month with no frigging content other than Baby Yoda. A complete ripoff compared to Netflix. I honestly don't think they can oversaturate the market with quality shows. If they're , then yes. I was watching all the Marvel Netflix shows and the DC shows at one point (OK, some stuff like Cloak & Dagger and Black Lightning, not so much). It doesn't sound like they are dropping 20 at once. 

It does have the potential to show the emperor has no clothes since so many books ae jumping that people have to start wondering what they are doing chasing all these show books.  I see why they are poking the golden goose to get more eggs but it could come back to backfire on them if the quality isn't great.

My first reaction was, yes, this is far too much. However, when I thought about it my main issue wasn't really over saturation of the market but rather a concern with how much do each of them connect, reference, and rely on other shows/movies to fully enjoy.

Nobody has to watch every and all of these new shows/movies, and I myself will pick and choose from them only a few to really get into (if they are good), but I really hope they can stand as their own shows and are not all meant to connect with each other outside a few cute easter eggs. I don't want to feel as if I watch X I'll miss out something because I'm not interested in watching Y.

Edited by Sauce Dog

Shares of Disney popped more than 9% Friday morning, as investors cheered the Mouse House’s monster-size content flex outlined at its 2020 investor day for stepped-up push to accelerate its global direct-to-consumer streaming offensive.

In early trading, Disney stock was around $169 per share, pushing the company’s market cap to over $300 billion. Netflix shares opened down about 1%, presumably on fears of greater competition from Disney.

Amid the torrent of Disney’s news yesterday, it announced 105 movies and TV series, 80% of which are pegged for its direct-to-consumer streaming outlets; said Disney Plus reached nearly 87 million global paid customers as of Dec. 2; massively raised sub forecasts for Disney Plus to 230 million-260 million by September 2024; and outlined the 2021 rollout of Star, a new international entertainment service akin to Hulu that will be integrated with Disney Plus outside the U.S.

Disney also announced price increases for Disney Plus: In the U.S., it will rise by $1 per month, to $7.99 in March 2021, on a standalone basis; in Europe, it’s rising by €2 per month to €8.99 alongside Star’s debut in February.

“While we expected to hear about Disney’s accelerated content investment in their DTC businesses, the sheer size and quality of the content tsunami headed to Disney Plus was mind-blowing and frightening to any sub-scale company thinking about competing in the scripted entertainment space,” MoffettNathanson analyst Michael Nathanson wrote in a Dec. 11 research note.

Among the new content in the Disney Plus pipeline are 10 Star Wars series, 10 Marvel series, and 15 Disney and Pixar Animation coming over the next several years, announced by Kareem Daniel (pictured above), named head of the newly created Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution group two months ago.

“We believe Disney remains the best-positioned traditional media company to compete globally with the internet giants as video consumption moves online,” UBS Securities’ John Hodulik wrote in a research note Friday.

All told, Disney now projects 300 million-350 million streaming subscribers through fiscal 2024, including Disney Plus, Hulu, ESPN Plus, Star, and other products. CFO Christine McCarthy told investors Disney expects to spend $8 billion-$9 billion on Disney Plus content alone for fiscal 2024, when she said the streamer is expected to achieve profitability.

I think Disney got what it wanted out of this. No matter how much any of us are concerned with too much content in a short period of time.

25 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

My first reaction was, yes, this is far too much. However, when I thought about it my main issue wasn't really over saturation of the market but rather a concern with how much do each of them connect, reference, and rely on other shows/movies to fully enjoy.

Nobody has to watch every and all of these new shows/movies, and I myself will pick and choose from them only a few to really get into (if they are good), but I really hope they can stand as their own shows and are not all meant to connect with each other outside a few cute easter eggs. I don't want to feel as if I watch X I'll miss out something because I'm not interested in watching Y.

My understanding, based on prior comments by Kevin Feige, is that watching the MCU's Disney+ shows is "required" to fully understand the films in Phase 4 and going forward. That is why this is "over-saturation" IMO.

I was already basically jumping off the MCU bandwagon after the Infinity Saga, and this kinda tie-in TV/movie experience is just too much, and virtually guarantees that they won't be receiving my time/money. I'm sure that those without any other hobby will be happy, but that just isn't me.

1. seasons are shorter

2. this was the investor call, so it's really just there to show how Disney is leveraging it's IP rights (I know it's turned into a bit of PR, but it's still primarily an investors call)

3. Not every concept makes it to the screen, so it's better to have extra irons in the fire. 

4. a lot of the stuff presented will be released on their streaming platform, which is new and content creation is king, and their platform is revenue generating, so to investors (the primary audience) they're interested in seeing content creation plans.

I think a bigger breakdown may help here because this is a huge window all the way through 2024. They announced that 4 Marvel shows will be out next year along with 3 movies I hardly see that as oversaturation. Things got shifted because of all the lockdowns otherwise it would have been 2 and 2 like it was originally planned. I can't see them putting out 4 shows and 4 movies every year, but at that point sure maybe you're over stepping. Although even that breaks down to 30 hours of content or less over the course of an entire year. If < 3 hours of content a month on average is too much I guess nows the time to jump ship.

It's not too much in the slightest. They only have around 8 episodes a season. (Some are more limited)

This is over a few years. I've read more in a couple weeks at the comic store then what I see being released in the next couple years for upcoming Star Wars and Marvel.

More than anything I'm hoping for quality. And I (or anyone else) certainly doesn't have to watch then all, just like I don't need to collect and read every DC or Marvel comic to enjoy those.

Edited by Rip