• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney + announces 20 Marvel and Star Wars shows, is it too much?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

2. this was the investor call, so it's really just there to show how Disney is leveraging it's IP rights (I know it's turned into a bit of PR, but it's still primarily an investors call)

This.

Disney needs to load up their pipeline for investors, even though this could oversaturate the market, they don't care about that. They are in it for business.

9 minutes ago, D2 said:

This.

Disney needs to load up their pipeline for investors, even though this could oversaturate the market, they don't care about that. They are in it for business.

yep, and to investors more shows means more merchandising, more international distribution, more licensing....

The more I think about it so much of this is going to come down to are these going to be unique shows, with their own identity or will they just become a wall of sameness.  

If they feel all the same, people are going to tire of it very quickly.   Also, if the movies reley on the shows for understanding, is that going to limit the audience for the movies?  The have and have not as far as seeing all the content.  They played with series tie into movies on a limited basis before with Agents of Shield and that basically failed.  I hope they have learned something.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

The more I think about it so much of this is going to come down to are these going to be unique shows, with their own identity or will they just become a wall of sameness.  

If they feel all the same, people are going to tire of it very quickly.   Also, if the movies reley on the shows for understanding, is that going to limit the audience for the movies?  The have and have not as far as seeing all the content.  They played with series tie into movies on a limited basis before with Agents of Shield and that basically failed.  I hope they have learned something.

They did connect the whole MCU & it worked out. I also think they're learning from their mistakes. Looking forward to the GotG holiday special.

8 hours ago, the blob said:

They dragged out Disney+ with one show for a year charging people $8 a month with no frigging content other than Baby Yoda. A complete ripoff compared to Netflix.

At launch, Disney+'s catalog seemed lame. But in reality, our family has gotten way more value than Netflix.  8$/month for Mando + Hamilton + tons of family friendly content + I can watch scenes from Star Wars and Marvel movies whenever I feel like it = not such a bad deal.

Of the trailers they pushed yesterday, I thought Loki looked amazing -- it has the vibe of some crazy Terry Gilliam film. What If also looks cool, but will need to get used to the animation style. 

Falcon & WS seems pretty pedestrian, but it will depend on the story.

WandaVision I'm not sold on. Seems like it's trying too hard to be satirical, yet I'm not seeing the point. At least they're brining back Debra Jo Rupp.

Edited by adampasz

45 minutes ago, adampasz said:

At launch, Disney+'s catalog seemed lame. But in reality, our family has gotten way more value than Netflix.  8$/month for Mando + Hamilton + tons of family friendly content + I can watch scenes from Star Wars and Marvel movies whenever I feel like it = not such a bad deal.

Of the trailers they pushed yesterday, I thought Loki looked amazing -- it has the vibe of some crazy Terry Gilliam film. What If also looks cool, but will need to get used to the animation style. 

Falcon & WS seems pretty pedestrian, but it will depend on the story.

WandaVision I'm not sold on. Seems like it's trying too hard to be satirical, yet I'm not seeing the point. At least they're brining back Debra Jo Rupp.

In the last year we have watched vastly more netflix. It isn't even close. I don't have a lot of interest in watching the same disney movies 5 times. I had seen all the super hero movies already. watcher Thor 1 again because I was asleep during the first time.Mando has worked out to like $10 an episode or something. Just recently my youngest started watching clone wars and rebels (again). disney got people to sign up last year with the lure of ome new content other than mando at some point in 2020 and pulld the wool over our eyes. I know, covid, but still. I've been getting new shows on netflix. 

8 hours ago, Rip said:

It's not too much in the slightest. They only have around 8 episodes a season. (Some are more limited)

This is over a few years. I've read more in a couple weeks at the comic store then what I see being released in the next couple years for upcoming Star Wars and Marvel.

More than anything I'm hoping for quality. And I (or anyone else) certainly doesn't have to watch then all, just like I don't need to collect and read every DC or Marvel comic to enjoy those.

Agree.  People who talk about "too many shows" often forget that we're talking about entire seasons that can be (and often are) binged in a weekend or even a single day marathon.    

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

Agree.  People who talk about "too many shows" often forget that we're talking about entire seasons that can be (and often are) binged in a weekend or even a single day marathon.    

But, even at 8 episodes they are asking people to watch 50 to 60 hours per year per franchise to keep up (if they watch everything), and these series will be overlapping by necessity even at 8 episodes each.  So 10 Star Wars shows at 8 episodes per season is 80 weeks.  Marvel will be similar.  Provided these are not all limited series, and if they run multiple seasons you will need to be watching 3 to 4 sows per week all year to watch all of it for only two IP's.  That is a big ask, and I am not sure outside of hardcore fans how many people will commit to that. Remember, Disney is using a once per week model, not a binge watch model.

They are really going to need to step up their game, being willing to actually take risks, and somehow make sure the shows have their own voice, if they expect this to work long term. If you feel like you are watching the same thing over and over each week, with just some character substitutions, it is going to get old fast.  I hope they can pull it off, but if is going to be difficult over the long term.

Edited by drotto

For Marvel, maybe...I don’t think so, but it could be too much.

For Star Wars? Probably not. Here is my reasoning...

We’ve been exposed to 3 different eras of SW (Republic, Empire, New Republic) and we will soon have a 4th with the Acolyte, which takes place during the end of the High Republic (70+ years before Ep 1). These new projects take place at different times, focus on different parts of the universe, and (luckily) do not focus on Skywalker. The sandbox is much larger for SW to tell unique stories.

With Marvel, we’ve really only been exposed to the current era where the Infinity Saga takes place. There is an opportunity to explore the 40s-60s like Agent Carter started to following CA The First Avenger, but that doesn’t look to be the case with the current slate of releases.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about all of Marvel’s announcements, but I can see where an audience may get fatigued.  

Edited by awakeintheashes

18 hours ago, drotto said:

But, even at 8 episodes they are asking people to watch 50 to 60 hours per year per franchise to keep up (if they watch everything), and these series will be overlapping by necessity even at 8 episodes each.  So 10 Star Wars shows at 8 episodes per season is 80 weeks.  Marvel will be similar.  Provided these are not all limited series, and if they run multiple seasons you will need to be watching 3 to 4 sows per week all year to watch all of it for only two IP's.  That is a big ask, and I am not sure outside of hardcore fans how many people will commit to that. Remember, Disney is using a once per week model, not a binge watch model.

They are really going to need to step up their game, being willing to actually take risks, and somehow make sure the shows have their own voice, if they expect this to work long term. If you feel like you are watching the same thing over and over each week, with just some character substitutions, it is going to get old fast.  I hope they can pull it off, but if is going to be difficult over the long term.

We've already had a more extreme TV watching in Marvel properties. And many of these hours aren't connecting as tightly as Marvel did with Defenders. 

Marvel had Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage & Punisher at 13 episodes a season, roughly an hour each. Not even counting the many others like Agents of Shield.

Edited by Rip

45 minutes ago, Rip said:

Marvel had Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage & Punisher at 13 episodes a season, roughly an hour each. Not even counting the many others like Agents of Shield.

But those tended to drag too long IMHO , which is my issue with longer seasons in general and part of the reason why I bailed on TWD , issues that could easily be resolved in 2-3 episodes drag out an entire season making the characters appear incompetent ... textbook example - punisher season 1- plus a not so subtle dose of SJW

Edited by Old_Man_Adam

2 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

But those tended to drag too long IMHO , which is my issue with longer seasons and part of the reason why I bailed on TWD , issues that could easily be resolved in 2-3 episodes drag out an entire season making the characters appear incompetent ... textbook example - punisher season 1- plus a not so subtle dose of SJW

All those series from Marvel had too many fillers no question. Hopefully a 6-8 format at 30-45 min avoids that.

1 minute ago, Rip said:

All those series from Marvel had too many fillers no question. Hopefully a 6-8 format at 30-45 min avoids that.

I could go with that - plus each of the Netflix seasons had a lead up with one main denouement in mind but with Mando, each episode is a stand alone adventure , though part of a whole 

Plus a lot of the new shows are about characters I really don't care about. Ms Marvel for example WTH!?! I haven't cared about Star Wars in years, Star Wars is dead to me HAHA..  I am excited to hear more about  the Marvel "Horror" characters more then anything if that every pans out (Blade (obviously), Ghost Rider, WWBN, Man-Thing etc).

10 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

For Marvel, maybe...I don’t think so, but it could be too much.

For Star Wars? Probably not. Here is my reasoning...

We’ve been exposed to 3 different eras of SW (Republic, Empire, New Republic) and we will soon have a 4th with the Acolyte, which takes place during the end of the High Republic (70+ years before Ep 1). These new projects take place at different times, focus on different parts of the universe, and (luckily) do not focus on Skywalker. The sandbox is much larger for SW to tell unique stories.

With Marvel, we’ve really only been exposed to the current era where the Infinity Saga takes place. There is an opportunity to explore the 40s-60s like Agent Carter started to following CA The First Avenger, but that doesn’t look to be the case with the current slate of releases.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about all of Marvel’s announcements, but I can see where an audience may get fatigued.  

I disagree.  All the Star Wars projects while in different time frames are still a very narrow window (except one).  They mostly take place between attack of the clones and about 5 years after ROTJ, so about a 25 year time frame.  So they take the most developed era and do more with it.  There is no courage here.  There is nothing way in the past or way in the future, only stuff where they can drop lots of member berries.  They are primarily using existing characters for all of these shows, so nothing new.  I am enjoying Mandalorian, but to an extent it has become guest star of the week, and relies heavily on nostalgia.  They have a massive sandbox and even with the High Republic it covers maybe 100 years.  At least three of the series are Outer Rim. It really feels like they are using one corner of the sandbox.  It is all very safe. 

I think Marvel is harder in this respect because Marvel comics while they were released have always taken place in the "current" timeframe. For these shows it is much more important for the shows to develop unique identities by playing with genre, mood, and feel. This is why I really like CW, Gradians, Dr. Strange, and Winter Soldier.  They felt like they had that unique identities. The biggest issue for Marvel is that many many many people are treating Endgame as the completion of the story.  Without the hype and excitement of tentpole movies, I still think it is unknown territory if streaming can push forward IP's they way cultural phenomena movies have in the past.

I think this works for maybe two years, and then they are going to be in trouble.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:59 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Plus a lot of the new shows are about characters I really don't care about. Ms Marvel for example WTH!?! I haven't cared about Star Wars in years, Star Wars is dead to me HAHA..  I am excited to hear more about  the Marvel "Horror" characters more then anything if that every pans out (Blade (obviously), Ghost Rider, WWBN, Man-Thing etc).

I don't really care about the MCU characters who survived the Infinity Saga. What more can Falcon and The Winter Soldier accomplish after defeating Thanos? Spider-Man and Doctor Strange are a couple of exceptions. I will be interested in Fantastic Four and X-Men reboots.