• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In reference to a recent scathing post about me by G G ®...
1 1

98 posts in this topic

Well, now that my 2-day ban is over for no-no words, I can defend myself since everyone seems to have lost their mind about this issue.

A few days ago, this post was made about me:

I would like everyone to know what ACTUALLY happened.

Here are the initial claims from that post:

POINT #1.  "On Sept 12 I was approached out of the blue, asking would I sell a pretty sought after GA book. The prospective buyer's exact words.....

Been wanting this book forever and the $850 one is a bit out of my price range at the moment."

COMPLETELY FALSE

G G ® had a copy of Haunted Thrills #5 CGC 3.0 openly listed for sale in the Golden Age FS forum for $850.  I messaged G G ® because in their post, they mentioned this being the higher graded copy of three that they owned.  I was inquiring about the lower grade ones, as I didn't have enough cash on hand at the time to spend $850. We reached a deal where I would put down a deposit on the book and sell a few of mine to cover the full cost. Here's a screenshot of our PMs:

1894188695_CGCboarddispute1.jpg.c14fec1f6ecd8002e3393755202e84ec.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE:  G G ® violated the FS forum policy by asking me to pay via F&F

POINT #2:

"I paid for the shipping which cost me $35, so in effect he got a very sought after book for $815. I only agreed to sell it because I have two other copies, although this was my best one, and I thought I was helping someone get their grail."

Shipping was advertised as being included in the OPEN SALE.  I must note once again, I did not message them out of the blue seeking this book.  It was openly listed as FS: $850 shipped.  They didn't go out of their way to do me any favors, GG "only agreed to sell it" because they had it listed for sale. I also never claimed it was my "grail".  

POINT #3:

"Fast forward about a month, and I've tracked the book and I know he's got it, so on Oct 17 I send him a pm pointing to my kudos thread. He never left kudos, and he never replied to my pm. Now I know why. Today I discovered that on Oct 12 he flipped the book on the Boards for $1200."

Yes, a month later I sold the book.  GG is angry and claiming I only bought the book for a quick flip.  I had to sell other books from my collection to pay for this book after he allowed me to put the book on lay-away.  Then the book had to be shipped to the states from Europe.  There was nothing quick about our transaction.  It took around two weeks from us closing the deal, to me actually having it in my hands.  During that time, I had a buddy and fellow board member approach me with my ACTUAL grail from the Haunted Thrills title, #6. I don't have the budget to collect full runs of PCH, so I seek out the coolest horror cover from each title and just have one big book from that title in my collection and I put it on my wall. The one exception being Crime Suspenstories, I have #20 and #22. #22 is my favorite PCH cover of all time, but #20 is up there too and I ran across a copy from Jerry Garcia's personal collection that I couldn't pass up. But anyway, here I was trading out HT5 for HT6. 

It was also announced around the same time that Harrison Ford was doing a once-in-a-lifetime signing with Twin Cities and that was going to cost me $1500.  So yes, I sold the book at what I perceived to be below the current GPA, seeing as a 3.0 sold on October 12 at Heritage for $1320.  When I paid the listed price of $850, there was no comp since 2016 when one sold for $250.  I believe GG thought $850 was a fair market rate for the book at the time, as did I, as neither of us had any other sales to compare the price to. GG wasn't doing anyone any kind of favors or cutting anyone any special deals and I had no intentions of flipping the book for any kind of profit when I first bought it.

image.png.2c50165da9e730e8826bffd4dbaa7c8c.png

Here's my comic room/wall, with the offending book in question:

20201210_220629.thumb.jpg.1594451ebf169f2ce384861bc936bfdb.jpg

20201210_220719.thumb.jpg.8b9b00f647113efc1f924168e965fc0b.jpg

POINT #4:

Accusing me of nefarious intent by not commenting on their kudos thread:

"He never left kudos, and he never replied to my pm. Now I know why."

I'm a mid 30's man homeschooling my two young kids (3 & 10) during a pandemic.  I'm doing my best to keep the kids from killing each other, our house from falling apart, AND keeing it over our heads. I have a whole lot going on in my life, I'm sorry that your kudos thread got pushed aside. I have sold hundreds of books to happy boardies here and I haven't even started my own kudos thread.  To automatically assume nefarious intent is just absolutely unfair and unfounded.

POINT #5:

Should I have responded like I did?

No. I lost my cool.

Am I sorry?

Also, no. I don't take kindly to people dragging my name through the mud like some bored Karen on Facebook because I sold a comic a month after I bought it. If you all are really going to sit there and pretend like you've never sold a book for profit that you bought off of a boardie, then I just don't know what else to say to you guys.  I've literally had board members message me asking me for bulk deals on books that they intended to resell in their shops or at conventions.  We've all done that. People list books in the FS forum EVERY DAY with notes like "Could press and clean to a higher grade, great for a flip!"  Now, I can understand if I really had come to GG begging for this book, but that is just simply not true.  So you guys are throwing stones in glass houses and it's extremely unfair and you know it.  I don't expect GG to recant or apologize, nor do I expect anyone to come to my defense. I've had plenty of great experiences buying and selling from countless board members here and it really really pains me to see someone trying to tarnish my reputation over something as silly as selling a comic book a month after buying it.

I'm just really, really disappointed in this community. I thought you guys were better than this.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Ah yes the old "how dare you criticise my actions, I thought you were better than this" ploy.

Sorry I expected a bunch of grown men to not act like children getting stirred up about wild accusations on the playground. I suppose that was my mistake

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Full disclosure up front - @Nic8612 and I have an excellent past transaction in the books, and I would happily deal with him again any time.

I read GG’s thread last night and could certainly see how he felt slighted as nic’s  enthusiastic verbiage could be seen as conveying next level enthusiasm for the book in question.  I’ve certainly been there too - years ago I cut someone I once trusted a good deal on a couple books because they were (allegedly) going in the forever collection...only for them to be flipped a few months later.  Haven’t talked to that individual since.

However, given the additional context nic offered today and re-reading the pm exchange that GG posted, this looks to me more like a situation of two interpretations of the same set of words.

When I think of hucksterism, I think of the typical eBay lowball message - “what’s your best price for a comic loving military vet?”, “I have SUCH a bond with this issue because my dearly departed grandpa read it to me every Thursday...”, etc.  

nic didn’t really do that.  Excitement, yes.  “The joys of my childhood will now live in eternity”...not so much.

I can’t imagine there will be an amicable resolution to this for either party, which is a shame, but it happens.

My only little bit of advice would be this - nic, going all Dylan on the boards never ends well.  Best to say your piece and move on since most folks will draw their own conclusions from the facts, not the added emotions.

Also wait till you dont have to rush off to bed before starting some defense thread and calling people children.
YMMV

1 hour ago, Nic8612 said:

I have a whole lot going on in my life, I'm sorry that your kudos thread got pushed aside. I have sold hundreds of books to happy boardies here and I haven't even started my own kudos thread.

We all have lives, problems, worries, stresses, all all the everyday goings on. You are not unique in that regard. Deal with it.

I have moved literally thousands of books here in 8 years. My kudos thread is the tip of the iceberg. I don't push people to leave it, many ,many haven't. I don't care about the kudos, but it is very obvious to me why you did not leave it.

You intended to sell the book for a hefty profit very quickly after you bought it, and you wanted no indication or link to show how much you had paid. This coupled with the fact that you knew the sale by me was conducted via pm and therefore private.

Do you really think we are a bunch of hicks here?

I wouldn't have minded so much if you had taken the book somewhere else and flipped it, but to do it here....well you certainly have balls of steel.

But you know what?

Enjoy....and stay safe.

PS. Thank you for confirming that even at 63, I still have a lot to learn about people.

Edited by G G ®

9 minutes ago, Tedsaid said:

I don't post over here much, but man, ya'll are nuts.  GG, I don't know you or Nic from Adam, and I don't have a dog in this fight.  As a neutral observer, who read your post, and then read this one, I can say this:

You are in the wrong here, in every particular.

I mean, c'mon man ... he never said it was a grail.  He said he'd been looking for it for a long time.  And he didn't nickle and dime you down with that story, either; it was just an aside ... he paid YOUR price.  He does that, he can do whatever he wants with the book after.  The only implicit promise - to keep it, forever and ever - was in your head.

And sure, he can have an opinion about cleaning and pressing.  Anyone with experience has an opinion about that.  How the hell is that a lie?  Answer: it's not.  Unless you told him it had been pressed, and he believed you, he did not lie when he offered this opinion.

Just calm down, man.  You are seeing red and there's no reason to.  Sometimes people buy a comic, and they aren't as thrilled to have it as they thought they'd be.  Happens to all of us.  Sometimes the price jumps after we buy one and we just can't say 'no.'  Sometimes a true grail comes along, and we gotta flip a comic to afford it.  Looks like that's what happened here.  Sometimes bills come up and we just gotta pay them. 

But instead of thinking any of that was possible, you went directly to the worst possible assumption: that he lied to you.  You jumped to the cynical conclusion that he was intending to sell it all along, while buying it from you.  And you (and others, it must be said) concluded that based on literally zero evidence. 

AND HE PAID YOUR ADVERTISED PRICE.  That can't be emphasized enough, really.  If you sold it as a favor, that's one thing.  But you sold it in a sales thread that YOU initiated.  What on earth are you complaining about??

Anyway, after all that, your hasty conclusion colored how you perceived every action since.  Not leaving kudos, mentioning the F&F thing ... which - if I am reading this right - really was a violation?  Exactly as he stated?  Because you said he was "complaining" about F&F.  But I just read exactly what he wrote, it's right up above, and he didn't complain.  Mentioning a fact, and complaining about that fact, are two different things.  He only mentioned that it is a violation, right?  And it is a violation?  Because it looks to be that what he said is 100% correct.  I mean, you got a warning, right?  So ... where are you getting the "just wants to throw mud" thing?  It is a legitimate point, that you broke the rules and he did not.

So cynical, man ... there's just no need for that.  It'll give you heartburn every time.

I disagree.  The subtext, feeling, impression from the buyer's communication was that this was a book he had been wanting for himself.  GG has not cursed, called anyone a child , or shown he has blown his top in any way.  

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I disagree.  The subtext, feeling, impression from the buyer's communication was that this was a book he had been wanting for himself.  GG has not cursed, called anyone a child , or shown he has blown his top in any way.  

Where did I say GG cursed, or called anyone a child?  I didn't say that ... I said he was wrong.  He jumped to a lot of conclusions, and he wrote disparaging things, and he did that based on no evidence.  I am confused by your post, kav ... but I do appreciate how calm it is.

Anyway, there really isn't a lot of subtext, is there?  I mean, it was one sentence.  "Been wanting this book forever, but it's a bit out of my range," etc.  And he DID want it for himself.  He's cleared that bit up, he wasn't planning to sell it.  But then he saw something else that he wanted more.  AND the price jumped, thanks to HA.  So, yeah ... seller wasn't doing any favors with the sell, and the buyer - irrespective of what he said - didn't ask for any favors.  It was a FS post, and he bought it, right?  What's the problem? 

Maybe I don't understand how it works over here.  If you have a FS post, with a price, does that mean you are selling the book at that price?  Or does it mean, I'll only sell to you if you promise - implicitly - to keep it forever?  I'm really asking, because maybe the culture is different here.

7 minutes ago, Tedsaid said:

Where did I say GG cursed, or called anyone a child?  I didn't say that ... I said he was wrong.  He jumped to a lot of conclusions, and he wrote disparaging things, and he did that based on no evidence.  I am confused by your post, kav ... but I do appreciate how calm it is.

Anyway, there really isn't a lot of subtext, is there?  I mean, it was one sentence.  "Been wanting this book forever, but it's a bit out of my range," etc.  And he DID want it for himself.  He's cleared that bit up, he wasn't planning to sell it.  But then he saw something else that he wanted more.  AND the price jumped, thanks to HA.  So, yeah ... seller wasn't doing any favors with the sell, and the buyer - irrespective of what he said - didn't ask for any favors.  It was a FS post, and he bought it, right?  What's the problem? 

Maybe I don't understand how it works over here.  If you have a FS post, with a price, does that mean you are selling the book at that price?  Or does it mean, I'll only sell to you if you promise - implicitly - to keep it forever?  I'm really asking, because maybe the culture is different here.

There's a history of flippers saying they want the book and then flipping it immediately so thats kinda where this comes from.  It's frowned upon.  
Saying "oh i wanted it forever but amazingly found another copy so sellin this one" also raises a spock eyebrow.