• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In reference to a recent scathing post about me by G G ®...
1 1

98 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, kav said:

GG knew he could have gotten more and was being a nice guy.  He feels betrayed.  But yeah, I guess he shouldnt.

Okay, so you are saying, that IS the culture here?  That some people only want to sell to collectors, not to flippers?

I get that not everyone is like that.  But it seems you are saying GG is like that ... that he feels betrayed because the the buyer gave the impression he was going to keep it, and he ended up not keeping it?

1 minute ago, Tedsaid said:

Okay, so you are saying, that IS the culture here?  That some people only want to sell to collectors, not to flippers?

I get that not everyone is like that.  But it seems you are saying GG is like that ... that he feels betrayed because the the buyer gave the impression he was going to keep it, and he ended up not keeping it?

It's kind of a community spirit where if someone is selling a book and another boardie indicates its a long sought book, to be generous and let him have it at a good price, especially if he mentions a limited budget.  If he then turns around and makes a profit the betrayed feeling sets in.  It breaks the community code.

If I was the buyer and got book at good price due to budget, and then saw another copy (and suddenly had the budget for 2 books), I would have told GG hey I got another copy-dont want you to feel like I used you-would you like it back at same price if you pay shipping?  What I would not have done is sell it at a profit-I would realize the optics would look bad.  And it wouldnt FEEL right.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

If I was the buyer and got book at good price due to budget, and then saw another copy (and suddenly had the budget for 2 books), I would have told GG hey I got another copy-dont want you to feel like I used you-would you like it back at same price if you pay shipping?  What I would not have done is sell it at a profit-I would realize the optics would look bad.  And it wouldnt FEEL right.

Well ... that didn't happen here, though, right?  He didn't get a good price due to budget.  The budget thing, that was mentioned as a "I can't buy it today for that price, but maybe I can buy a lower grade copy instead."  GG wasn't sure he wanted to do that, so instead they came up with a different arrangement ... that Nic would sell a couple books to RAISE the money, and thereby pay the full asking price.

The original FS post?  It even mentioned that layaway was an option.  So that wasn't something GG only did for Nic ... it was something he offered for any buyer.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

So...if I was the buyer and found the same book at a lower price afterwards it would be OK to ask the seller to buy it back from me as long as I covered shipping?

Scenario one:
Here's the book, here's the price.  Guy buys it.  Sells at profit.
A-OK

Scenario two:
Wow I've been searching for this book for a long time but I have limited budget how much ya want?
Well gee i could sell it to ya for X.
Buys it, immediatley sells for more.
IMO not A-Ok.

1 minute ago, WPPJames said:

So...if I was the buyer and found the same book at a lower price afterwards it would be OK to ask the seller to buy it back from me as long as I covered shipping?

Sure.  Seller can say thx for the offer.  And buy or decline.

Just now, kav said:

Scenario one:
Here's the book, here's the price.  Guy buys it.  Sells at profit.
A-OK

Scenario two:
Wow I've been searching for this book for a long time but I have limited budget how much ya want?
Well gee i could sell it to ya for X.
Buys it, immediatley sells for more.
IMO not A-Ok.

I agree with this.  But we're on the same page, right?  This deal, it was a scenario one...

Just now, Tedsaid said:

I agree with this.  But we're on the same page, right?  This deal, it was a scenario one...

In that case should not be a problem.  I'm just throwing stuff out there I had thought the budget and long search were what happened maybe I misread.

1 minute ago, kav said:

In that case should not be a problem.  I'm just throwing stuff out there I had thought the budget and long search were what happened maybe I misread.

I kind of had a hard time following it all myself. But pretty sure it was your scenario one. Which, if so, we agree is OK. I think. 

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only insomniac out there.

21 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

I kind of had a hard time following it all myself. But pretty sure it was your scenario one. Which, if so, we agree is OK. I think. 

bingo on all counts.

22 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Maybe I should have read closer and stuff-part of my calculus is I know GG to be a rational sort and the other fellow seems to be rathet irrational with the f word and what not.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Maybe I should have read closer and stuff-part of my calculus is I know GG to be a rational sort and the other fellow seems to be rathet irrational with the f word and what not.

Now it's my turn to have misread. I thought the f word guy was the seller (GG?). Who I don't know at all. But yea, I agree, when people are stupid enough to get themselves banned by insulting the entire forum by throwing out f-bombs, I usually find it difficult to listen to any points they have afterwards.