• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice pls - USPS lost my submission from CGC
2 2

19 posts in this topic

I haven't had any type of a claim, so also interested in responses. 

I always presumed they would use the Declared Value on the submission form.  Of if not representative for some reason (grades came back REALLY high), fair market value comparisons of sold listings or auctions, etc. 

Looks like USPS is asking CGC what the claim amount will be, and substantiation of that number.  So CGC is in turn asking you for "your take on it". 

To me, regardless of what you have into them, once they have been graded, that is the current value.  Those numbers are available at several sources - GPA, GoCollect, closed auctions.  That is the value of what was lost.

13 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I haven't had any type of a claim, so also interested in responses. 

I always presumed they would use the Declared Value on the submission form.  Of if not representative for some reason (grades came back REALLY high), fair market value comparisons of sold listings or auctions, etc. 

Looks like USPS is asking CGC what the claim amount will be, and substantiation of that number.  So CGC is in turn asking you for "your take on it". 

To me, regardless of what you have into them, once they have been graded, that is the current value.  Those numbers are available at several sources - GPA, GoCollect, closed auctions.  That is the value of what was lost.

I agree but that is not how CGC seems to operate, I think they differentiate between books lost while in their possession and while lost with courier.

when if their possession they will probably assess based on FMV but if lost while with courier seems like they are putting all responsibility back to the submitter.

Edited by Poka

4 minutes ago, wilbil said:

is the carrier a selection by cgc or the op? is the insurance entity selected by cgc or the op?

who declared the value to the carrier? 

Shipping was USPS registered - only option available from CGC. CGC will use the declared value when you submit your books for the insurance with the courier. However, seems like submitter in the end need to substantiate the value in a form acceptable to USPS. Basically, CGC just serves as the middle man passing info. 

Edited by Poka

48 minutes ago, Poka said:

USPS lost the registered package of my submission from CGC. the package was insured but this is the mail CGC sent me. Any advice from anyone who have been through the process?

0B59C1D3-CEDA-46CA-A7BA-12BFEF732F2C.jpeg

I had a similar case earlier this year. My CGC return shipment package was scanned into the Tampa, FL USPS regional facility and there was no futher movement for two weeks. I filed a lost package claim through the USPS website myself and within a week the package started moving through the system again and made it to my home in Omaha a week later. The claim was for $1200 the FMV of all the books in the shipment.

I never found out what happened but my suspicion is the registered mail package somehow got misplaced within a USPS center and stopped movement.

I would encourage you to file the USPS package yourself instead of CGC so you can track the claim yourself rather than ask CGC for updates.

16 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I had a similar case earlier this year. My CGC return shipment package was scanned into the Tampa, FL USPS regional facility and there was no futher movement for two weeks. I filed a lost package claim through the USPS website myself and within a week the package started moving through the system again and made it to my home in Omaha a week later. The claim was for $1200 the FMV of all the books in the shipment.

I never found out what happened but my suspicion is the registered mail package somehow got misplaced within a USPS center and stopped movement.

I would encourage you to file the USPS package yourself instead of CGC so you can track the claim yourself rather than ask CGC for updates.

Thanks for the advice but i have already filed a case with USPS. Package has been missing for 2 months and I have had several contacts with USPS so pretty sure it will not make much difference. 

Edited by Poka

11 minutes ago, Poka said:

Just to conclude this one. After claim was made, USPS miraculous found the parcel in the PO 2.5 months after it was “lost” in the same PO, so in the end got the books and didn’t go through the entire process

Wow!

With the hectic of the holidays I missed out on a lot, had to read this thread, that's good news! In the end I guess, sorry you had to sweat it out :eek: eek!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, Poka said:

Just to conclude this one. After claim was made, USPS miraculous found the parcel in the PO 2.5 months after it was “lost” in the same PO, so in the end got the books and didn’t go through the entire process

glad to hear this! hopefully next time you'll choose fedex. 

12 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

You can use eBay sold listings for proof of value, that's what I used when I had to file a claim for a collectible item last year that came damaged

That's the odd thing, because "proof of value" can be contingent on proving you actually own the item, and have photos/scans to show the condition commensurate to value. Any claims adjuster can do the comparables research, and usually won't ask the claimant for proof of comparables. They'd much rather direct/control that side of the claim process.

19 minutes ago, cgcsketcherz said:

My last package, Fedex delivered from cgc to the wrong address. The kind person who got it in error the next day delivered it to me. 

Score 1 for users of FedEx, not so much for FedEx themselves :roflmao:

Well score 1 for the average Joe anyway,  we should all be so lucky, :takeit:

14 hours ago, cgcsketcherz said:

My last package, Fedex delivered from cgc to the wrong address. The kind person who got it in error the next day delivered it to me. 

Where I reside USPS is far and away the best as FEDEX and, lately, UPS each have only one dependable individual as the others will, for example, launch, not throw, packages onto the porch-if you are near the front of the house you'll hear the thud. Of course, FEDEX and UPS will also keep cancelling delivery up to three times, thus far, before launch.