• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heart broken
3 3

39 posts in this topic

It's more than likely that Walt or his handler while he signed the books smudged that signature.  Sharpies dry pretty quickly but not quick enough.   We did a show in Chicago with TV's Sabrina Kiernan Shipka and since my wife and I did the "official" show edition comic we had CGC reps at our table while we signed about 250 copies -- we signed in gold or silver because those dry faster than the black does but even then we had to lay them out in groups of 25 or so at a time to give them at least 30 seconds to dry.   I'm sure Walt was signing a lot more copies than we did and if he didn't have a bunch of handlers it can really get messy.

19 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

It's more than likely that Walt or his handler while he signed the books smudged that signature.  Sharpies dry pretty quickly but not quick enough.   We did a show in Chicago with TV's Sabrina Kiernan Shipka and since my wife and I did the "official" show edition comic we had CGC reps at our table while we signed about 250 copies -- we signed in gold or silver because those dry faster than the black does but even then we had to lay them out in groups of 25 or so at a time to give them at least 30 seconds to dry.   I'm sure Walt was signing a lot more copies than we did and if he didn't have a bunch of handlers it can really get messy.

Walt is known in the trade as 'smudger'  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, joeypost said:

CGC also deducts for smudged signatures. 

Really? Ugh...well that's rich of CGC holding a sig party and not having any quality control! LOL!

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

A couple of thoughts here...

Cream to Off-White pages are still allowable even in Near Mint, so the grade reduction probably didn't have much to do with that. The spine stress lines are tiny, so not much of a hit for that one, either. That leaves the cover bends, which would have to be pretty significant to knock it down to a 7.0. So examine the book closely under a good light source and you may be able to see the bends...but keep in mind that the holder can hide flaws of that nature.

And I'm sorry about that ink smudge, but that's one of the inherent hazards associated with having someone sign the book...  

I really don't remember any bending. It has to bee so slight that you really have to be looking to find it. Do you really think that is the culprit? If so then it's really pushing me to sending back to get a press. I love that book a lot but that 7.0 is really bugging me!

2 minutes ago, arinya said:

Really? Ugh...well that's rich of CGC holding a sig party and not having any quality control! LOL!

I really don't remember any bending. It has to bee so slight that you really have to be looking to find it. Do you really think that is the culprit? If so then it's really pushing me to sending back to get a press. I love that book a lot but that 7.0 is really bugging me!

After pressing, have your book regrading.

21 hours ago, revat said:

And who knows about the interior, there could be some issues. 

Bingo. Sometimes we concentrate so much on the front and back cover, we don't really examine the interior as close. Could be a culprit on the inside. Small stain, torn page, ink mark, loose centerfold, something on the interior covers, etc, etc.

I blew up the B.C. and the only thing that looked remotely suspicious was this area I marked with the arrow. More than likely its something from the slab or the the light. Don't really look like a light water mark, and more than likely nothing.

back cover scan 4.jpg

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Many people would suggest having books pressed after signing, prior to grading. Sometimes they get 'damaged' in the signing process.

Thanks. Yeah that makes sense. Do you guys know how much a resubmission costs?