• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

to remove or let it be

10 posts in this topic

I would leave it. It's a pretty book as is. 

If you are serious about removing the resto I would consult a pro. CCS or Kenny maybe. That will likely require them removing the book from the slab to inspect it and then you'll have to resub even if they recommend leaving it.  

I'm not sure the folks here can give accurate advice without seeing the book in hand. As @zzutak mentioned, the spine was reinforced for a reason, so it's really impossible to predict if it will maintain it's grade without knowing that reason. 

It's one thing to scrape some dried glue off the spine, but removing reinforcement indicates that pieces of the cover would likely be removed. The work that was done is designated as professional, so you may have a shot at a Conserved label. In my mind, that would be the only viable option, otherwise, I'd leave it as is...

56 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

It's one thing to scrape some dried glue off the spine, but removing reinforcement indicates that pieces of the cover would likely be removed. The work that was done is designated as professional, so you may have a shot at a Conserved label. In my mind, that would be the only viable option, otherwise, I'd leave it as is...

Thank you! Sent off an email to CGC. I'd like the new conserved label, but not at the risk of  losing the 8.5. No intention of selling anytime soon

On 12/12/2020 at 6:30 AM, Courageous Cat said:

Thats todays question. Grappling with sending it in to ccs to get a blue label but I sure don't wanna lose the 8.5 designation. I'll do what the majority recommends. 

E389FE7D-FA8E-4E66-9655-303507A2621E.jpeg

Regardless of what you are reading on GP or GC this is one of the best Whiz covers. Run this, as is, on ebay or in a ComicLink Auction and you will get at least 75% of what an unrestored 8.5 will bring. Yes. At least 75%.. The book, the cover, the eye appeal is nice enough to merit that results. Why risk removal for potentially a far lesser return? Keep it as is, move it as is. You won't be sorry. 

11 hours ago, Courageous Cat said:

Thank you! Sent off an email to CGC. I'd like the new conserved label, but not at the risk of  losing the 8.5. No intention of selling anytime soon

I'd keep the book. 18 is an amazing cover in a title with very few really amazing, artistic tour-de-forces as far as cover art goes. Same goes for the Superman title, the first 35 or so issues pretty bland and simply drawn with the notable exceptions of Superman 1, 14, 23, and 24. Restored or not, I agree with you. This is a keeper. 

Edited by James J Johnson

I would leave it, especially being an older GA book.
Re-attaching a cover or centerfold seems more like logical surgery to me than being superficially unnecessary. If only for preserving history, it is a fairly sensible kind of restoration, because it is an easy fix that has huge restorative impact in keeping it "a functioning book."