• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Pre-hero Marvel (some very tough) - JIM #31, 49 are left

21 posts in this topic

I've been meaning to list these undercopies for a while now, so I may as well rip off the bandaid and get started!

:takeit: in the public thread will be the safest way to claim these, though I will accept purchases via PM as well. Since we no longer have time stamps on PMs I will do the best I can to be fair in determining the winner in case of a near tie. In these cases the edge will likely go to the public :takeit:. I am also happy to field offers, particularly for multiple books, but if those books sell prior to a consummated deal than they are sold. Likewise, if a deal is consummated prior to a public or PM purchase those books are sold and the outright purchase will be void. I will list purchases in thread ASAP.

Shipping will be at cost to your location, and will be as safe and cost effective as possible. International buyers welcome, but shipping must be trackable.

I will accept checks, MO, Paypal, or Venmo. International buyers must pay via Paypal or Venmo.

All raw books are returnable if you are not satisfied. If the return is due to a mistake on my part I will cover return shipping, in all other cases return shipping is on the buyer.

Nobody on any naughty list is welcome to purchase, nor is anyone who has previously backed out of a deal with me.

Journey Into Mystery #31 G 2.0 -- asking $100 + shipping

Cover is neatly detached, centerfold is attached at both staples. Additional 3/4" split at upper staple area of spine, but rest of spine is reasonably solid (as solid as a coverless book of this age would be). Pages are nice. Small stain on the back cover slightly affects end ad page and even more slightly the last page of art. Its not bad at all. Very tough book in my experience, this was the first copy I had ever seen in person.

JIM31-25.jpg

JIM31-24bc.jpg

Edited by mysterio

Journey Into Mystery #49 G+ 2.5 -- asking $100 + shipping

Another difficult book, this is the first post-implosion JIM following 15 months after #48. This copy has nice eye appeal, but the back cover knocks it down a bit. Cover and centerfold both attached at both staples. Color and gloss are great. Two pieces missing from back cover, plus some foxing at edge of back cover. Pages are unaffected and all are complete.

JIM49-25.jpg

JIM49-25bc.jpg

Journey Into Mystery #73 CGC 5.0 OW-W -- asking $160 + shipping SOLD :news:

Really sharp copy for a 5.0, and it includes the famous "reverse prototype" for Spider-man (if you believe in that sort of thing).

JIM73CGC.jpg

JIM73CGCbc.jpg

Edited by mysterio

Ok, Tennessee and Vandy are at halftime so I may as well knock out a book or two...

Strange Tales #70 VG+ -- asking $140 + shipping SOLD

Very solid copy, everything attached at both staples. Great color and gloss. Light spine wear, minor chip at top spine corner, pre-chipping along right edge with one chip out. Very solid copy of an uncommon book.

ST70.jpg

ST70bc.jpg

Edited by mysterio

Strange Tales #72 3.5ish -- asking $115 + shipping SOLD

Another less common issue from 1959. Everything is attached at both staples. Light wear abounds but book has decent eye appeal. Main defect of note is the stain on the Colossus' chest. It does not penetrate the cover. Another very light stain on his forehead that does very slightly penetrate the cover but does not affect pages. Light moisture stain at top left back cover that also does not affect any pages.

ST72.jpg

ST72bc.jpg

Edited by mysterio

Strange Tales #81 VG? -- asking $100 + shipping SOLD :news:

This is a tough one to grade. Structurally it is about a 7.0, but it is missing that chip out of the spine. Spine is not split above or below the chip, and I am not sure what would have caused it. There are also some spots in the front cover gloss, and a few of them have very light stains on the interior front cover as well. Paper all seems fine. Centerfold is detached at the top staple but firmly attached at bottom, cover is attached at both.

ST81.jpg

ST81bc.jpg

Edited by mysterio

16 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Strange Tales #81 VG? -- asking $100 + shipping

This is a tough one to grade. Structurally it is about a 7.0, but it is missing that chip out of the spine. Spine is not split above or below the chip, and I am not sure what would have caused it. There are also some spots in the front cover gloss, and a few of them have very light stains on the interior front cover as well. Paper all seems fine. Centerfold is detached at the top staple but firmly attached at bottom, cover is attached at both.

ST81.jpg

ST81bc.jpg

:takeit: