• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pkveronese said:

Anybody get their High Republics from TFAW in terrible condition? One literally had the cover pulled from the staple.

And yet, they shipped them to you. I have never ordered from TFAW and solely based on this example, I never will, even if they replace your order with NM/M copies. Of course, very likely, TFAW could not care less if I never order from them.

57 minutes ago, AJsLongboxComics said:

I’ve been trying to figure out why. Hadn’t heard of these characters in any big rumor but it’s possible I missed something.

There's nothing other than people are spec'ing on characters with little to zero chance of ever seeing the light of day on a TV show. (Much like 90% of the current SW spec.) I suspect some pump and dumper Youtube/Instragram personality is trying to draw up interest to inflate their own stash.

2 hours ago, AJsLongboxComics said:

I’ve been trying to figure out why. Hadn’t heard of these characters in any big rumor but it’s possible I missed something.

1 hour ago, Tnexus said:

There's nothing other than people are spec'ing on characters with little to zero chance of ever seeing the light of day on a TV show. (Much like 90% of the current SW spec.) I suspect some pump and dumper Youtube/Instragram personality is trying to draw up interest to inflate their own stash.

Yep, most of the EU characters won't be "canonised", so to speak, and what many fail to realise is that there's only been around 20 characters including Thrawn that have actually been reintroduced into the "Disney 2012 canon". Though - I hasten to add - apart from Thrawn, every other character has been a rather minor in scope to the point I wasn't even aware of their existence ~ Apart from the "special circumstances" of Darth Bane (in spirit form during Clone Wars) and certain hints at Revan (in a deleted scene of Clone Wars) I'm really unsure ... lol

We have two factions at Lucasfilm: Kennedy who's interested in the "Disney Trilogy" and the High Republic era, and Favreau and Filoni who are interested in the events post-Return of the Jedi as of late (departing from the Prequels and Clone Wars), so it remains to be seen which characters appear - more so in the Kennedy-produced Acolyte show ~

The irony is that there's more of a chance that characters from the High Republic and the High Republic Adventures appear in a show down the line than the possibility of "some he or she" who may, and then there's the aspect of royalties in respect to whether Disney would want to create new characters or simply use EU ones; given the current predicament Disney is in with regards to losing a great deal of money presently: cinemas closing; Mulan bombing at the box-office, parks, attractions and cruises being cancelled, etc, while factoring in the recently publicised fact that Disney refused to pay Star Wars author, Alan Dean Foster, his royalties for his pre-Disney acquisitional contributions to Star Wars - just food for thought lol

Edited by Bart Allen

16 hours ago, pkveronese said:

Anybody get their High Republics from TFAW in terrible condition? One literally had the cover pulled from the staple.

They likely just pulled them from the case and shipped them. Production quality was bad on HR 1 - I had 71 damage replacements on my order of cover A, almost 8% damaged rate. Normally you just have to worry about 4 per case (top 2 and bottom 2 due to cover rubbing in the case), but the current printers have been horrible for spine scrapes/tears/chips/splits and staple issues for a few months now. They did a similar shi tty job with the Ruan variant cover for Shang-Chi 1, some recent Venom issues, etc. 

Edited by kimik

On 1/15/2021 at 8:19 PM, Bart Allen said:

Forbidden Planet has now limited the sales of High Republic: Adventures #1, High Republic: Adventures #1's Yoda variant, and High Republic #2 (Witter Variant) to 1 per customer lol

Wow. So they did not order high on those two books, even though the FOCs were after HR 1 was released? Looks like I might be wrong in my assumption that stores would go big on HR Advs 1 and HR 2 due to demand for HR 1? 

Edited by kimik

I think two to watch are the True Believers Thrawn #1 and True Believers Kanan #1. These Marvel dollar reprints may have gotten overshadowed by all the Venom and Carnage True Believers and it seems like the print runs were fairly low as they are impossible to find in shops. I only know of a single shop that ordered those two and they got only a few, which were sold quickly. I’ve seen the prices for these spiking on eBay lately. There are a few of the Star Wars True Believer dollar reprints, including Darth Maul Son of Dathomir and that’s another one that is hard to find in the wild.

4 hours ago, kimik said:

Wow. So they did not order high on those two books, even though the FOCs were after HR 1 was released? Looks like I might be wrong in my assumption that stores would go big on HR Advs 1 and HR 2 due to demand for HR 1? 

I'm a bit confused on this issue lol

On 1/16/2021 at 9:20 AM, pkveronese said:

I received my order from them.  I was surprised there was no damage considering the books were mailed in a cardboard mailer with no cardboard for protection.

On 1/16/2021 at 10:20 AM, pkveronese said:

My order has been in limbo in California for the past week...

Just now, 500Club said:

We have stores in Calgary you can order from. :grin: :baiting:

They were all sold out.

Agreed though, perhaps some of the best options in all of Canada right here in Calgary.

12 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Yep, most of the EU characters won't be "canonised", so to speak, and what many fail to realise is that there's only been around 20 characters including Thrawn that have actually been reintroduced into the "Disney 2012 canon". Though - I hasten to add - apart from Thrawn, every other character has been a rather minor in scope to the point I wasn't even aware of their existence ~ Apart from the "special circumstances" of Darth Bane (in spirit form during Clone Wars) and certain hints at Revan (in a deleted scene of Clone Wars) I'm really unsure ... lol

We have two factions at Lucasfilm: Kennedy who's interested in the "Disney Trilogy" and the High Republic era, and Favreau and Filoni who are interested in the events post-Return of the Jedi as of late (departing from the Prequels and Clone Wars), so it remains to be seen which characters appear - more so in the Kennedy-produced Acolyte show ~

The irony is that there's more of a chance that characters from the High Republic and the High Republic Adventures appear in a show down the line than the possibility of "some he or she" who may, and then there's the aspect of royalties in respect to whether Disney would want to create new characters or simply use EU ones; given the current predicament Disney is in with regards to losing a great deal of money presently: cinemas closing; Mulan bombing at the box-office, parks, attractions and cruises being cancelled, etc, while factoring in the recently publicised fact that Disney refused to pay Star Wars author, Alan Dean Foster, his royalties for his pre-Disney acquisitional contributions to Star Wars - just food for thought lol

20 even sounds high. I can think of maybe 5? I can't think of any characters that originated in a comic either that have appeared in SW canon. Thrawn was a book, Asaaj was the cartoon. Revan was KOTOR. (Unsure on Bane. ) Maybe Quinlan Vos? Was he in the movies?

4 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

20 even sounds high. I can think of maybe 5? I can't think of any characters that originated in a comic either that have appeared in SW canon. Thrawn was a book, Asaaj was the cartoon. Revan was KOTOR. (Unsure on Bane. ) Maybe Quinlan Vos? Was he in the movies?

ventress was in  comics 1st I think could be wrong and same with bane I think

Edited by silversurfer275

21 minutes ago, silversurfer275 said:

ventress was in  comics 1st I think could be wrong and same with bane I think

Okay, update:

Assaj was definitely first introduced in the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars mini-series.

Looks like Darth Bane was created by George Lucas, but Terry Brooks has the first "app" in his Episode 1 novelization.

Quinlan Vos character design was originated in Episode 1, but his story was fleshed out in comics. So that's a 50/50 I guess.

Ventress was in the first Clone Wars Cartoon, Vos's appearance was based on a character in The Phantom Menace on Tatooine but really had his first app in comics. Much of the Solo movie was taken from the West End Role Playing game. Dark Troopers was taken from the video game Dark Forces.
Exar Kun was mentioned in the Sith Aurebesh within Drydon Vos's artifacts.

There are dozens of call backs from EU, some easter eggs, some big that would fill multiple posts. Never counted how many total characters are taken from EU, but its more than you think.

Sometimes its also an evolution of an idea. Sort of like comics history.