• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, silversurfer275 said:

ventress was in  comics 1st I think could be wrong and same with bane I think

She’s in the 2003 Mace Windu one-shot. IDK if it came out before the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars  TV show, also from 2003.

edit: just checked; comic has a Feb. 2003 date in the indica

Edited by Hekla

5 hours ago, Rip said:

Ventress was in the first Clone Wars Cartoon, Vos's appearance was based on a character in The Phantom Menace on Tatooine but really had his first app in comics. Much of the Solo movie was taken from the West End Role Playing game. Dark Troopers was taken from the video game Dark Forces.
Exar Kun was mentioned in the Sith Aurebesh within Drydon Vos's artifacts.

There are dozens of call backs from EU, some easter eggs, some big that would fill multiple posts. Never counted how many total characters are taken from EU, but its more than you think.

Sometimes its also an evolution of an idea. Sort of like comics history.

That’s a bingo 

As long as Dave Filoni is involved in SW projects, any Legends character is fair game. It’s similar to how Feige went deep in the Marvel library when Disney started really building the MCU. 

There are going to be a lot of pump and dumpers peddling any first appearance, but if you’re ever reading a SW comic or watching a show and think, “you know what Legends character would fit here,” Filoni probably thought the same thing, and it’s going to happen.

2 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Probably just more realizing how awesome Rebels is. But also, I think there was an article or two about Rosario Dawson mentioning something about Sabine showing up in Ahsoka. I don’t remember if they were click-bait sources, though. 

Just now, awakeintheashes said:

Probably just more realizing how awesome Rebels is. But also, I think there was an article or two about Rosario Dawson mentioning something about Sabine showing up in Ahsoka. I don’t remember if they were click-bait sources, though. 

Thanks, appreciated. 

Saw another Buy It Now today that looked higher so figured there had to be something.

Patrick

6 hours ago, Tnexus said:

20 even sounds high. I can think of maybe 5? I can't think of any characters that originated in a comic either that have appeared in SW canon. Thrawn was a book, Asaaj was the cartoon. Revan was KOTOR. (Unsure on Bane. ) Maybe Quinlan Vos? Was he in the movies?

Yep, around 20 (or at the very least over 20, to be exact) but there were VERY minor characters lol

59 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

As long as Dave Filoni is involved in SW projects, any Legends character is fair game. It’s similar to how Feige went deep in the Marvel library when Disney started really building the MCU. 

There are going to be a lot of pump and dumpers peddling any first appearance, but if you’re ever reading a SW comic or watching a show and think, “you know what Legends character would fit here,” Filoni probably thought the same thing, and it’s going to happen.

Possibly, but read my post on the previous page about EU characters :3

11 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Possibly, but read my post on the previous page about EU characters :3

That’s why I prefaced, as long as Filoni is involved. So, possibly, but re-read my post. 

If Filoni isn’t the future of SW, the franchise will flounder, IMO.

Also, can you point me to somewhere that says the Legends characters are not in Disney’s possession now and that royalties would need to be paid for their usage? The Alan Dean Foster situation is a bit different than the Legends characters introduced in the comics and other books  

Edited by awakeintheashes

13 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

That’s why I prefaced, as long as Filoni is involved. So, possibly, but re-read my post. 

If Filoni isn’t the future of SW, the franchise will flounder, IMO.

Also, can you point me to somewhere that says the Legends characters are not in Disney’s possession now and that royalties would need to be paid for their usage? The Alan Dean Foster situation is a bit different than the Legends characters introduced in the comics and other books  

Ah, true true lol

You're right, but both Filoni and Favreau will be the future IMO - especially as Kennedy's contract runs out this year ~

EU characters are in the possession of Disney since 2012, but I'm referring to residuals in the form of books and comics whether it be from Fox or Dark Horse ~

But it's still rather telling that around 20 characters were brought into the fold in the past 9 years, but then again the mentality of Kennedy was to ignore the EU comics lol

4 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Ah, true true lol

You're right, but both Filoni and Favreau will be the future IMO - especially as Kennedy's contract runs out this year ~

EU characters are in the possession of Disney since 2012, but I'm referring to residuals in the form of books and comics whether it be from Fox or Dark Horse ~

But it's still rather telling that around 20 characters were brought into the fold in the past 9 years, but then again the mentality of Kennedy was to ignore the EU comics lol

Yeah, she hasn’t worked out well at all. I understand why they hired her, though. She had a history with a lot of the major players behind the scenes at SW and Indiana Jones. I think that’s why she failed. It seems like her instinct, as you point out, is to build a new world from scratch and eschew the larger world/history that has been built. 

I was surprised she allowed Maul and Crimson Dawn to show up in Solo.