• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

As long as Dave Filoni is involved in SW projects, any Legends character is fair game. It’s similar to how Feige went deep in the Marvel library when Disney started really building the MCU. 

There are going to be a lot of pump and dumpers peddling any first appearance, but if you’re ever reading a SW comic or watching a show and think, “you know what Legends character would fit here,” Filoni probably thought the same thing, and it’s going to happen.

I think it's one thing to do obscure callbacks and whatnot for the fans, but putting in a character with an established backstory is hamstringing for writers. Take Mara Jade for instance (who arguably is my favorite EU character for reference). How do you bring her in without basically gutting her backstory? At this point it's fairly safe to say Luke's story is done, and her story is so intertwined with his. If you try to separate them, it's basically a completely different character. Plus there are royalties and rights for using that character. I think Thrawn was reused because he essentially was a standalone character from arguably the most popular EU story created that rebooted Star Wars. It's much easier to just create something original that you have free reign over. It's also why I doubt Aphra will ever get screen time except maybe a tiny cameo.

28 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

Plus there are royalties and rights for using that character.

Are you sure that’s the case? Disney owns all those characters

The issue @Bart Allen was referencing has to deal with the novelization of the movie and a deal Lucas worked out with the author. Seems quite different than Disney having to pay royalties for characters it owns. 

You are right about Mara Jade. I said there would be a lot of pump and dumpers hyping any first appearance, but if there are Legends characters that would fit the story, they will probably show up. Mara Jade doesn’t really work and will probably never get more than a passing mention. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

While Filoni is probably there for the long haul I’m not sure about Favreau 

he’s jumped from project to project and can’t envision him staying and doing this for the long term 

5 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

While Filoni is probably there for the long haul I’m not sure about Favreau 

he’s jumped from project to project and can’t envision him staying and doing this for the long term 

Agree. Filoni is the heart of SW and is important to weaving all these stories together. Faverau has the experience and know-how, but I don’t think he’s as integral to SW success as Filoni is. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

7 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Are you sure that’s the case? Disney owns all those characters

The issue @Bart Allen was referencing has to deal with the novelization of the movie and a deal Lucas worked out with the author. Seems quite different than Disney having to pay royalties for characters it owns. 

You are right about Mara Jade. I said there would be a lot of pump and dumpers hyping any first appearance, but if there are Legends characters that would fit the story, they will probably show up. Mara Jade doesn’t really work and will probably never get more than a passing mention. 

Obviously I don't know the licensing deals these authors have, but I'm sure the agreements over character ownerships has changed drastically in the past 25 years since Heir to the Empire. Zahn was already an established writer, so I suspect he had clout in his bargaining agreements. Though I doubt anyone saw Thrawn's inclusion 20 years later in a cartoon.

I'm sure once Disney took over, a lot has changed. Probably any new character is created and vetted before an author even is allowed to use them.

Edited by Tnexus

2 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Disney owns all those characters - in every way. None of them are partially-owned by any creators. Disney doesn’t have to ask for any permission to use any of the characters.

That’s a bingo 

37 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Disney owns all those characters - in every way. None of them are partially-owned by any creators. Disney doesn’t have to ask for any permission to use any of the characters.

Sure, Disney owns the character, but it doesn't mean they don't have to pay Zahn some sort of royalties. It all depends on the contracts, and those contracts pre-date Disney by 20 years.

Do you know for a fact that they pay Zahn a royalty fee? If so, please give us some links to where this information is.

Here are the facts of the matter: They do not have to pay any licensing fee to anyone to use their own characters, though. They own their characters completely. They may pay him a royalty for any additional books they sell that he wrote, but I can almost guarantee they don’t have to ask his permission. All of those stories were written as work-for-hire like everything Lucasfilm and Disney do.

43 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Do you know for a fact that they pay Zahn a royalty fee? If so, please give us some links to where this information is.

Here are the facts of the matter: They do not have to pay any licensing fee to anyone to use their own characters, though. They own their characters completely. They may pay him a royalty for any additional books they sell that he wrote, but I can almost guarantee they don’t have to ask his permission. All of those stories were written as work-for-hire like everything Lucasfilm and Disney do.

Okay lemme clarify something because I used a poor choice of words which is where I think this misunderstanding is coming from. I should have said royalties, not licensing. Yes. likely Disney does not have to pay licensing, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do pay a royalty for each use of the character. (At least for Pre-disney era). Do I know for sure? No, just making an assumption based on other IP creations. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, getting back on subject, KOTOR 31 has breached the steady $100+ amount. It was down to about $30 a few months ago. First official Malak (as Malak) and first app of Darth Sion (in ad form). Will be curious to see if that overtakes issue 42.

8 hours ago, Tnexus said:

Okay lemme clarify something because I used a poor choice of words which is where I think this misunderstanding is coming from. I should have said royalties, not licensing. Yes. likely Disney does not have to pay licensing, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do pay a royalty for each use of the character. (At least for Pre-disney era). Do I know for sure? No, just making an assumption based on other IP creations. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, getting back on subject, KOTOR 31 has breached the steady $100+ amount. It was down to about $30 a few months ago. First official Malak (as Malak) and first app of Darth Sion (in ad form). Will be curious to see if that overtakes issue 42.

kotor 1st appearances are quite popular. The half page panel Malak appears in Star Wars Tales#23 with Revan seems to be another favorite 1st appearance of most Star Wars fans. He clearly appears on the panel in a very sweet 1/2 page spread. Very cool art as well.  I’d definitely keep an eye out on that one. 

Out of all the legends and eu material seems Exar Kun and Uliq qel Droma are shoe ins for future material. Isn’t exar considered canon now?  

Their first appearances have completely flew under the radar. copies of Star War Tales #1 and Dark Lords of the Sith #6  are still reasonable. The ashcan variant of dark lords #1  just recently broke $20.00. 

Exar kun and uliq are considered the greatest sith lords ever( according to most legends and eu fiction, and now canon). 

The pump and dump key comic site doesn’t mention them much. But it’s funny considering exar kun has already been referenced in film.

6 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Still surprised how expensive the High Republic #2 (Whitter variant) became lol

Not too unreasonable. Contains 1st app of characters on the cover, plus it's a decent cover with good colors. I can see that one sustaining $200 for a while after launch. The covers for Keeve for issue 1 were all pretty subpar, so it'll be nice to have something of quality for the character.

2 minutes ago, pkveronese said:

CBSI with the Jek 14 call from Lego Star Wars The Yoda Chronicles isn't bad - Jek shows up in nearly every lego star wars show.

Definitely an interesting character. Force sensitive clone and all. Don't really know how or if he'd fit in with canon, though. I could have seen him fit in Rebels somehow. 

Just now, awakeintheashes said:

Definitely an interesting character. Force sensitive clone and all. Don't really know how or if he'd fit in with canon, though. I could have seen him fit in Rebels somehow. 

I think canon be darned on Jek, he shows up enough IMO.

2 minutes ago, pkveronese said:

I think canon be darned on Jek, he shows up enough IMO.

Yeah. I guess he exists in canon because he was mentioned as the Maker of Zoh, but nothing ever explored beyond that.