• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Not modern and not comics but damn. First to market HG star wars is following the Marvel cards. In this case these are 1977 ad pac General Mills cereal promotions (down to just one set from about 6 in years past). 

Screenshot_20210225-223525.thumb.png.4f5f2256a2e5c3821f34c108a0ee5eb0.png

'Oh great, in addition to being mad at me for throwing away his original star wars action figures, now my son can be mad at me for throwing away his trading cards too.' - Hekla's Mom

Edited by Hekla

11 minutes ago, Hekla said:

2 weeks ago I'd never heard of NFT's, now I see it everywhere.

Yeah, they sure are. Mark Cuban is all over them now, which is probably why. I've been doing the digital thing since 2015. I don't even think they were called NFTs back then. I don't really "collect" anymore, but glad I held onto a lot of my stuff.

Edited by awakeintheashes

Not sure that this is the thread to put this in but it does concern a modern Star Wars comic that seems to be heating up.

I was hoping that someone had some more information on the comic below.  You will notice that it has a barcode sticker placed over the Direct Edition barcode.  I acquired this in a small Newsstand collection that I bought recently.  What is interesting is that it is also on a bunch of other Dark Horse books in the collection and the barcode # (669788808443) is exactly the same on all of them.  On Ebay, there are sellers that are calling these the "rare sticker variant" and are trying to get a premium for them.  One has this book listed for $250, even though it generally goes for around $60 - $100.  One sold in auction with 24 bids at about $70.  All of the copies of these books on Ebay also have the same exact number on the barcode.   I'm getting ready to start another sales thread with these books in it and was curious if anyone knew anymore about these books.  Where did that barcode come from?

The other books that I have that have the barcode are:   Republic 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65. 66, 68, 76;   Empire Strikes Back: Infinities #2; and Star Wars Empire #21, 22, 25

star Wars Republic 60 .jpg

On 3/3/2021 at 8:33 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Somewhat related to that, if anyone has been seeing the craziness with NBA Top Shot, the app Quidd has a bunch of Marvel, Valiant, Star Trek and other digital items or NFTs (non fungible tokens), which can sell for decent money.

What have you seen on actual sold prices for Valiant stuff on Quidd?  I don't know how to check sold items. hm

Edited by valiantman

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

What have you seen on actual sold prices for Valiant stuff on Quidd?  I don't know how to check sold items. hm

It’s almost impossible to check sold stuff but, I sold a random Valiant low for $8 the other day (below). I don't think it had any business being more than $1, but I'll take it. There are currently Golden Goats and Lula Lees sitting at prices that I think will be bargains when the app goes full blockchain. I’m holding mine back at the moment.

FFAE4437-5DA4-4771-8EE9-C1A620641069.jpeg.38f41097b2bf9ecee7423a42d215314a.jpeg

I’m seeing a lot of new people in the app and talking about it on Twitter. Likely people HODLing $one. 

Random NBA stuff has been moving briskly, likely because of Top Shot. I’ve got a /11 Trae Young RC that I’m holding back at the moment. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 3/3/2021 at 7:37 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Not modern and not comics but damn. First to market HG star wars is following the Marvel cards. In this case these are 1977 ad pac General Mills cereal promotions (down to just one set from about 6 in years past). 

Screenshot_20210225-223525.thumb.png.4f5f2256a2e5c3821f34c108a0ee5eb0.png

These aren’t the only Star Wars cars that have blown up in the last 3 months.  Most 1977 cards—including the original Topps blue star field series and and 77 Wonder Bread cards are now selling for 10x what they did a few months ago.  And PSA is being inundated with raw cards to grade.  I have to think it is only a matter of time before CGC adds SW cards to their burgeoning card grading business.

3 hours ago, Dergrosse13 said:

These aren’t the only Star Wars cars that have blown up in the last 3 months.  Most 1977 cards—including the original Topps blue star field series and and 77 Wonder Bread cards are now selling for 10x what they did a few months ago.  And PSA is being inundated with raw cards to grade.  I have to think it is only a matter of time before CGC adds SW cards to their burgeoning card grading business.

Sent in 14 Wonder Bread cards last week to be graded.  I think a couple of them might come back as a 10.  

On 3/5/2021 at 4:06 PM, CDaBruce said:

Not sure that this is the thread to put this in but it does concern a modern Star Wars comic that seems to be heating up.

I was hoping that someone had some more information on the comic below.  You will notice that it has a barcode sticker placed over the Direct Edition barcode.  I acquired this in a small Newsstand collection that I bought recently.  What is interesting is that it is also on a bunch of other Dark Horse books in the collection and the barcode # (669788808443) is exactly the same on all of them.  On Ebay, there are sellers that are calling these the "rare sticker variant" and are trying to get a premium for them.  One has this book listed for $250, even though it generally goes for around $60 - $100.  One sold in auction with 24 bids at about $70.  All of the copies of these books on Ebay also have the same exact number on the barcode.   I'm getting ready to start another sales thread with these books in it and was curious if anyone knew anymore about these books.  Where did that barcode come from?

The other books that I have that have the barcode are:   Republic 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65. 66, 68, 76;   Empire Strikes Back: Infinities #2; and Star Wars Empire #21, 22, 25

star Wars Republic 60 .jpg

Until recently I would have passed on those books thinking they are worthless. I had no idea that some came that way from suppliers.
I would think these books are just like the Spawn books that have UPC bar codes on them. They are very desirable among certain collectors
and I am not certain they will sell here, but I guarantee they will sell on ebay.

Edited by fastballspecial

17 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Until recently I would have passed on those books thinking they are worthless. I had no idea that some came that way from suppliers.
I would think these books are just like the Spawn books that have UPC bar codes on them. They are very desirable among certain collectors
and I am not certain they will sell here, but I guarantee they will sell on ebay.

Thanks for the input.  (thumbsu  This helps.  I wasn't familiar with the Spawn UPC bar codes.  The gentleman that I bought them from swears that he remembers buying the Star Wars books from a Barnes and Noble and/or a local bookstore where he bought almost all of his comics.  

8 hours ago, Dergrosse13 said:

You’ll make a small fortune if they do!

Fingers crossed. :wishluck:  It will help make up for the SW #42 9.8 Newsstand SS (signed by Jeremy Bulloch) that I sold two weeks too early.  I can't even bring myself to look at what this book goes for now.  :p

Spawn collectors call them barcode adjustment stickers and view these as variants of the newsstand release. I'm leaning toward a small bookstore vs BN, that makes sense to me. 

There is no doubt going to be a market for these. I once bought a barcode adjusted Spawn #64 for $2 and sold it for $182. 

10 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Spawn collectors call them barcode adjustment stickers and view these as variants of the newsstand release. I'm leaning toward a small bookstore vs BN, that makes sense to me. 

There is no doubt going to be a market for these. I once bought a barcode adjusted Spawn #64 for $2 and sold it for $182. 

I love these boards, so much helpful information.   A small bookstore does make a lot more sense than a BN.

Was the Spawn #64 a Direct Edition or was it a Newsstand underneath the barcode?  

Anybody think the Boba Fett Age of Rebellion one-shot 2nd prints and variant are ridiculously undervalued? They both have super tiny print runs (about 2,000), but they kind of get overshadowed by the awesome Dodson cover on the first printing.

On 1/5/2021 at 1:27 PM, valiantman said:

Interesting comparison.  The earliest Sports Illustrated covers for Michael Jordan are older than his basketball cards, significantly rarer than his basketball cards (especially slab counts), and somehow significantly cheaper than his early basketball cards.  There is definitely some "critical point" between earlier-and-rarer and later-but-popular which actually favors later-but-popular.  It would make sense that "earlier-and-rarer" deserves the higher value, but we're not seeing it consistently.  Star Wars #42 is definitely "later-but-popular" and winning at the moment, but part of that popularity is based on the incorrect labeling as "1st Boba Fett".  In a way, Star Wars #42 is benefitting from both the "earlier" side logic and the "later-but-popular" factor because it is continually being misrepresented as "1st".

You're correct.  Graded issues of Sports Illustrated are really starting to take off!

7 hours ago, pkveronese said:

Anybody think the Boba Fett Age of Rebellion one-shot 2nd prints and variant are ridiculously undervalued? They both have super tiny print runs (about 2,000), but they kind of get overshadowed by the awesome Dodson cover on the first printing.

Whoa boy, that's a lot of adjectives..........  doh!

14 hours ago, pkveronese said:

Doesn't the 2nd sell for about $40 with no meaningful content (that I am aware of)? Doesn't seem undervalued to me.