• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

What's the spec on Bad Batch? Trailer looks good. I didn't finish The Clone Wars series, but I did watch all of Rebels.

I read Star Wars the 2015 series just up until around issue 15. I haven't read any clone wars series or any of the newer Star Wars series (Just started High Republic).

Seems that Clone Force 99 will probably be a good first appearance in a book (assuming it doesnt already exist). Could be some crossover into the Obi-Wan series too I would think.

First: you need to finish Clone Wars. Hands down best Star Wars property since OT. Maybe better in some regards. Final 3-4 episodes are a whole new level of Star Wars/Filoni greatness  

Second, hard to tell from the promo. Maybe Saw and Rex get more love since they are both featured. I don’t think any of the Bad Batch clones are featured in any comics at the moment. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

3 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

First: you need to finish Clone Wars. Hands down best Star Wars property since OT. Maybe better in some regards. Final 3-4 episodes are a whole new level of Star Wars/Filoni greatness  

Second, hard to tell from the promo. Maybe Saw and Rex get more love since they are both featured. I don’t think any of the Bad Batch clones are featured in any comics at the moment. 

Thanks for the recommend. I am looking for something to watch right now so Im gonna figure out where I left off and continue it. 

I think with Disney's strategy, I could see some of these characters making live action series in Obi-Wan or another. Just a gut feeling (like they did in Mandalorian). I bet a comic series for bad batch gets announced at some point.

2 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Thanks for the recommend. I am looking for something to watch right now so Im gonna figure out where I left off and continue it. 

I think with Disney's strategy, I could see some of these characters making live action series in Obi-Wan or another. Just a gut feeling (like they did in Mandalorian). I bet a comic series for bad batch gets announced at some point.

Was thinking the same thing about the Obi-Wan show. 

19 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

I agree to a point, however Darth Talon was literally going to be in episode 7. 

Talon was in Lucas's episode 7 pitch. Seeing how different of a direction Disney went, there's pretty much nothing of the original pitch they used.

I'm not saying its impossible, but adding a new Darth is a huge deal. You pretty much have to have a whole new generation of characters to make it work.

First pic is what I found in my Star Wars raws today (assuming most of those are worth something). They are all NM+ or better. I have a Darth Vader 3 cover A (sold my 9.8 Larroca variant some time back) and some other Doctor Aphra #1's signed/graded.

Second pic is what I found a coupe weeks ago (I knew some of those were getting hot).

I still have some boxes of raws with mixed comics. I know I have a cover A of Darth Maul 1 somewhere around here. I had multiple, but I remember I took one out a long time ago because I needed a bag/board for something else. I left it out on my dresser and it got damaged. :/  Stupid of me.

IMG_3734.thumb.jpg.5700643766bd94391a2fcc3ae997db9a.jpg

IMG_3735.thumb.jpg.3ffd578e83601825dee0eddd1201e693.jpg

15 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

First pic is what I found in my Star Wars raws today (assuming most of those are worth something). They are all NM+ or better. I have a Darth Vader 3 cover A (sold my 9.8 Larroca variant some time back) and some other Doctor Aphra #1's signed/graded.

Second pic is what I found a coupe weeks ago (I knew some of those were getting hot).

I still have some boxes of raws with mixed comics. I know I have a cover A of Darth Maul 1 somewhere around here. I had multiple, but I remember I took one out a long time ago because I needed a bag/board for something else. I left it out on my dresser and it got damaged. :/  Stupid of me.

IMG_3734.thumb.jpg.5700643766bd94391a2fcc3ae997db9a.jpg

IMG_3735.thumb.jpg.3ffd578e83601825dee0eddd1201e693.jpg

nice collection!

12 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

nice collection!

Thanks, I was very bullish on Star Wars a few years ago, old and new. Got a bunch of raws pretty cheap. The nostalgia kick is real. I also bought a bunch of Indiana Jones comics (all the movie versions and Indiana Jones #1), a couple Thundercats, tons of GI Joe, and some Transformers. 

Of my SW comics, my biggest success so far is Thrawn #1 by Mattina. I bought two raws for like $80 and coordinated them to get signed by Mattina and Zahn. Sold one quick for $1000 after I got them back (should have kept it), but still have this one. If my Star Wars #42 comes back high 9, then it might surpass this one as my best. I had a 9.4 Star Wars #1 vol 1, but sold it a couple years ago. :/ 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7a05780870f957bb6db01fc20307599d.jpg

Edited by kevhtx

Okay guys, are you sitting down?

I've got all these in my collection so I decided to look up some recent action. All have sold on e-bay quite recently.

Star Wars Tales 5 (Lando) $399.00 9.8

Star Wars Jedi vs Sith 1 (1st Darth Bane and Darth Zannah) $1599.99 9.8

Star Wars Jedi vs Sith 6 (Darth Zannah) $299.00 9.8

Star Wars 7 (Aura Sing & A'Sharad Hett) $259.99 in 9.6, $499.99 in 9.8

Star Wars 10 $472.50 9.6

Star Wars 17 (1st appearance of Quinlan Vos) $510.00 9.8

Star Wars 19 (1st Aayla Secura) $600.00

Star Wars 23 (1st Ros Lai & Queen Zalem) Raw 9.0 $200.00

Marvel Star Wars 42 9.4 $1299.00

It's a good time to own Star Wars. 

On 3/30/2021 at 9:57 PM, ninanina said:

Okay guys, are you sitting down?

I've got all these in my collection so I decided to look up some recent action. All have sold on e-bay quite recently.

Star Wars Tales 5 (Lando) $399.00 9.8

Star Wars Jedi vs Sith 1 (1st Darth Bane and Darth Zannah) $1599.99 9.8

Star Wars Jedi vs Sith 6 (Darth Zannah) $299.00 9.8

Star Wars 7 (Aura Sing & A'Sharad Hett) $259.99 in 9.6, $499.99 in 9.8

Star Wars 10 $472.50 9.6

Star Wars 17 (1st appearance of Quinlan Vos) $510.00 9.8

Star Wars 19 (1st Aayla Secura) $600.00

Star Wars 23 (1st Ros Lai & Queen Zalem) Raw 9.0 $200.00

Marvel Star Wars 42 9.4 $1299.00

It's a good time to own Star Wars. 

So you're selling?

Im wondering if Indira Varma in the Obi-Wan series is going to play Ventress? Supposedly there is some secrecy around her role. I know her manager and trying to think of a way to email him and ask. Haha. Doubt he would tell me anyway.

I don't have her first appearance, but I have her origin book with her on the cover. 

38 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Im wondering if Indira Varma in the Obi-Wan series is going to play Ventress? Supposedly there is some secrecy around her role. I know her manager and trying to think of a way to email him and ask. Haha. Doubt he would tell me anyway.

I don't have her first appearance, but I have her origin book with her on the cover. 

Pretty sure she's dead by the time the show takes place. Dooku killed her. Dooku was dead before Order 66.

I wouldn't be surprised if she is playing Ezra's mother.

33 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Pretty sure she's dead by the time the show takes place. Dooku killed her. Dooku was dead before Order 66.

I wouldn't be surprised if she is playing Ezra's mother.

Yeah, someone commented about flashbacks for Ventress. IMDB only shows Varma being in 1 episode for the season. Not sure if thats accurate or not.

6 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Yeah, someone commented about flashbacks for Ventress. IMDB only shows Varma being in 1 episode for the season. Not sure if thats accurate or not.

I just don't see how Ventress is important to Obi-Wan's story to include flashbacks. Flashbacks of Staine Kryze, sure, but Ventress not so much. Whoever floated that probably has a bunch of her first appearances that they want to pump up even more than they already are.

It could make sense for her to play Ezra Bridger's mother and for the show to feature his parents. They were some of the first to rebel against the Empire. The show could help provide new audiences with an introduction to the rebellion before it was organized like we saw in Rogue One, and to Ezra before he's featured in the Ahsoka show...if he is that is.

59 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I just don't see how Ventress is important to Obi-Wan's story to include flashbacks. Flashbacks of Staine Kryze, sure, but Ventress not so much. Whoever floated that probably has a bunch of her first appearances that they want to pump up even more than they already are.

It could make sense for her to play Ezra Bridger's mother and for the show to feature his parents. They were some of the first to rebel against the Empire. The show could help provide new audiences with an introduction to the rebellion before it was organized like we saw in Rogue One, and to Ezra before he's featured in the Ahsoka show...if he is that is.

From a story perspective, you're probably right. I think the likelihood is definitely slimmer than Ezra's mother. Im picking up the clone wars series where I left off (somewhere in season 3). I watched all of Rebels when it was on, but stopped watching Clone Wars. Ventress is an awesome character so I think any chance to see her in a live show gets people's hopes up (mine too).

Just now, kevhtx said:

From a story perspective, you're probably right. I think the likelihood is definitely slimmer than Ezra's mother. Im picking up the clone wars series where I left off (somewhere in season 3). I watched all of Rebels when it was on, but stopped watching Clone Wars. Ventress is an awesome character so I think any chance to see her in a live show gets people's hopes up (mine too).

Totally get that. Quinlan Vos seems to be getting more popular. If Disney ever dedicates a story to him, we will definitely get Ventress. Ventress is to Quinlan Vos what Satine Kryze is to Obi-Wan. 

On 3/30/2021 at 2:06 PM, mr_highgrade said:

I had a Star Wars Tales of the Jedi grade out 9.2 in 2006. I knew it was severely under graded and finally decided to crack it out and resubmit it without touching the book.

Well guess what? Came back 9.8. (shrug)

Um. Wow.

You’d think there wouldn’t be *that* much variance from CGC... even in ‘tough’ and ‘weak’ grading periods.

congrats on the re-sub!

10 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

Um. Wow.

You’d think there wouldn’t be *that* much variance from CGC... even in ‘tough’ and ‘weak’ grading periods.

congrats on the re-sub!

Yes and no.

Grading is subjective. Even what constitutes a defect may be subjective (what defines a manufacturing defect vs a handling/storage defect - and how much if at all such defect will lower the grade is, again, subjective).

9.0 to 9.2 to 9.4 is opinion, under vs over graded.

9.2 to 9.8, while quite a large gap, is still subjective.

I'd be very interested in the graders notes for the 9.2

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Yes and no.

Grading is subjective. Even what constitutes a defect may be subjective (what defines a manufacturing defect vs a handling/storage defect - and how much if at all such defect will lower the grade is, again, subjective).

9.0 to 9.2 to 9.4 is opinion, under vs over graded.

9.2 to 9.8, while quite a large gap, is still subjective.

I'd be very interested in the graders notes for the 9.2

Oh, I hear you. But a 9.2 *should* have enough apparent defects to ever keep it from becoming a 9.8, *especially* when nothing has been done to the book (pressing), and it's just a straight re-sub. I could see mayyyybe a 2-step jump to a 9.6. Maybe. Even a 2-step drop to an 8.5. But that's too much variance, honestly. That's a LOT of "subjective" for a professional grading company.

7 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Oh, I hear you. But a 9.2 *should* have enough apparent defects to ever keep it from becoming a 9.8, *especially* when nothing has been done to the book (pressing), and it's just a straight re-sub. I could see mayyyybe a 2-step jump to a 9.6. Maybe. Even a 2-step drop to an 8.5. But that's too much variance, honestly. That's a LOT of "subjective" for a professional grading company.

I agree, it is a LOT of subjectivity. Very possible a "perfect storm" of undergraded the first time and overgraded the second time.

I assume it's a modern, so would wavy pages be mostly ignored if a manufacturing defect or downgraded as a storage/handling defect?

Still would be interesting to see the graders notes on the first sub, if there were any notes LOL!

Edited by jcjames