• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2021 at 1:51 PM, Hekla said:

On the topic of ESB, Williamson’s artwork is spectacular and I would recommend the Empire Artist Edition for his fans. Apparently Williamson kept all his Star Wars Empire artwork, so the whole story is printed and is a great showcase for his talent and range. It’s notable that Lucas was a fan of Al’s EC work and wanted him specifically to be the artist.

4826BA4D-107D-416F-91A0-C2DE8FF0097E.jpeg

30064467-6619-43C4-A2C4-89743F705F71.jpeg

02E29A80-8DAE-4B1C-BBEE-C03B645D9D57.jpeg

That’s gorgeous! 🙂

On 5/5/2021 at 4:11 PM, Real Elijah Snow said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144024698795?hash=item21888a7fab:g:IuIAAOSwzzdgi4Ow

Sweet lord. Nearly 2 Gs for this Darth Maul newsie..

Pffft whatever, check out this deal. The savings really speak for themselves. https://merc.li/ZfnUYWzab

I don't need cgc to tell me I have a nice collectibles, this is just as good....:sumo:

Hello,

Long time lurker, primarily in GA, first time poster. I'm seeking advice on submitting comics to CGC, specifically on which service to use. I'll probably want to have more Dark Horse Star Wars graded later after I go through my collection in great detail, but for the time being I want to submit my Clone Wars #1 comics - one standard issue that looks to be 9.4 or better and two copies of the limited variant (a 9.0/9.2 and a 9.4 or better). After reviewing CGC's options, I'm left with the impression that 'walk through' service is the best option at least for the variant. Any guidance on this, and whether I should have them pressed, would be much appreciated.

I got into comics relatively late in life. I started a new job in 2001 and became fast friends with a colleague who collected everything from GA to currents, and the first thing he got me hooked on was Dark Horse Star Wars. I was 13 when Star Wars came out, so it was an easy sell! I've collected various things since I was a child (baseball cards), so I approached buying with a collector's mentality despite primarily just wanting to read the stories. As such, I picked up all the variant covers I could find and bought the TPB's too so I could leave the comics unread. Stupidly, I did not continue buying the comics after Marvel took over, though I have been picking up some of the TPB's to read over the last year or so

Unfortunately, I didn't get real interested in collecting GA until much later, and values are such that I'll never have more than a few GA books. I got into reading a lot of small press stuff, and of reprints of classics such as the entire EC catalog. I became more and more interested in the art over time, collecting a few Joseph Linsner pieces and more than a few Budd Root pieces. I hope to add a Mark Schultz piece at some point, and a Dave Stevens piece would be spectacular. I got into collecting iconage also and got carried away with that before downsizing dramatically - I sold about 125 Star Wars busts and a number of statues of various characters. I kept 15 - 20 busts I like, along with my Frazetta statues and about 25 other statues. I got hooked on the Clone Wars cartoons long after they came out, and simply didn't think to look for an Ahsoka Tano bust until it was selling for over $1,000. I also never thought any of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics would be worth much, and I only became aware of the current values by looking for an Ahsoka bust or statue on eBay. I don't recall how I ended up with two copies of the variant, but I do have quite a few duplicates.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide,

Marc

On 7/12/2021 at 3:44 AM, mtracy64 said:

Hello,

Long time lurker, primarily in GA, first time poster. I'm seeking advice on submitting comics to CGC, specifically on which service to use. I'll probably want to have more Dark Horse Star Wars graded later after I go through my collection in great detail, but for the time being I want to submit my Clone Wars #1 comics - one standard issue that looks to be 9.4 or better and two copies of the limited variant (a 9.0/9.2 and a 9.4 or better). After reviewing CGC's options, I'm left with the impression that 'walk through' service is the best option at least for the variant. Any guidance on this, and whether I should have them pressed, would be much appreciated.

I got into comics relatively late in life. I started a new job in 2001 and became fast friends with a colleague who collected everything from GA to currents, and the first thing he got me hooked on was Dark Horse Star Wars. I was 13 when Star Wars came out, so it was an easy sell! I've collected various things since I was a child (baseball cards), so I approached buying with a collector's mentality despite primarily just wanting to read the stories. As such, I picked up all the variant covers I could find and bought the TPB's too so I could leave the comics unread. Stupidly, I did not continue buying the comics after Marvel took over, though I have been picking up some of the TPB's to read over the last year or so

Unfortunately, I didn't get real interested in collecting GA until much later, and values are such that I'll never have more than a few GA books. I got into reading a lot of small press stuff, and of reprints of classics such as the entire EC catalog. I became more and more interested in the art over time, collecting a few Joseph Linsner pieces and more than a few Budd Root pieces. I hope to add a Mark Schultz piece at some point, and a Dave Stevens piece would be spectacular. I got into collecting iconage also and got carried away with that before downsizing dramatically - I sold about 125 Star Wars busts and a number of statues of various characters. I kept 15 - 20 busts I like, along with my Frazetta statues and about 25 other statues. I got hooked on the Clone Wars cartoons long after they came out, and simply didn't think to look for an Ahsoka Tano bust until it was selling for over $1,000. I also never thought any of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics would be worth much, and I only became aware of the current values by looking for an Ahsoka bust or statue on eBay. I don't recall how I ended up with two copies of the variant, but I do have quite a few duplicates.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide,

Marc

Welcome to the boards. Turnaround times are long at the moment, that's the first thing you should know. Errm as to your question, I'll admit I don't know the answer, as I'm too far away from CGC for it to be viable for me to do. Iirc with current turnaround times walkthrough will save you about 20 days with current TATs.

Let me try and summon someone who may be able to give you better answers. @Wolverinexare you able to help this person out, my guy? 

42 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Welcome to the boards. Turnaround times are long at the moment, that's the first thing you should know. Errm as to your question, I'll admit I don't know the answer, as I'm too far away from CGC for it to be viable for me to do. Iirc with current turnaround times walkthrough will save you about 20 days with current TATs.

Let me try and summon someone who may be able to give you better answers. @Wolverinexare you able to help this person out, my guy? 

So I haven't submitted in a while but I spoke to my buddy @ADAMANTIUM. He is pretty knowledgable on this topic and recommends just doing the  "standard" tier with the book you are submitting. Also he recommends getting the $150 membership instead of submitting through the LCS.... cheers!

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:
47 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

So I haven't submitted in a while but I spoke to my buddy @ADAMANTIUM. He is pretty knowledgable on this topic and recommends just doing the  "standard" tier with the book you are submitting. Also he recommends getting the $150 membership instead of submitting through the LCS.... cheers!

Yes

Mainly go by the tier of insurance value first, then if you want it back sooner, go up tiers from there.

Also once you pay the $150 membership credit, if you do automatical renewal, the next year you get that $150 renewal credit for only $130 cost, a free $20credit.

Depending on if you're going to submit a lot, even the standard tier, the membership will ensure you get to pack it up the way you want, get the cost of $150 then you can send it in and they'll use the $150credit, charge you the difference  between actual cost etc. soooooo

If you only send in the one book it can make the cost paid not all at once lol

Just some pros and cons. :tink: @mtracy64

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes

Mainly go by the tier of insurance value first, then if you want it back sooner, go up tiers from there.

Also once you pay the $150 membership credit, if you do automatical renewal, the next year you get that $150 renewal credit for only $130 cost, a free $20credit.

Depending on if you're going to submit a lot, even the standard tier, the membership will ensure you get to pack it up the way you want, get the cost of $150 then you can send it in and they'll use the $150credit, charge you the difference  between actual cost etc. soooooo

If you only send in the one book it can make the cost paid not all at once lol

Just some pros and cons. :tink: @mtracy64

Thanks. The link I hit to view services and turnaround times was one page past subscriptions, so I missed those options. I was thinking 'express' or 'walk through' for the three Clone Wars #1's based entirely on the value of the variant, and that's slippery until they're actually graded. Turnaround times are extremely long right now, but I'm not in any particular hurry. I'll of course sell the lesser copy of the variant, but it's not life-changing money we're talking about. My view of the market for the variant is limited to the past couple weeks and eBay history for the past couple months, but it looks like people are almost afraid to sell - asking prices far exceed previous results and few copies are being offered up. It could go up over time, whereas prices are already dropping on the standard issue. Heir To The Empire #1 and the two Jedi Vs Sith #1's are probably worth grading, though my gold foil of the latter is only 8.5 - 9.0. The rest of the modern Star Wars comics I've looked at appear to really only be worth grading if they're 9.6 or better and you want to sell. I do want to sell half my collection, but not Star Wars. I bought a lot of drek when I was buying, and most of the good stuff I bought and decided not to keep has already been sold - though I'm finding I have a few gems here and there. Variant covers drove me nuts, so I stopped buying new stuff except to read. I started collecting some art as mentioned, and I also collect old records, and I've got better self-control with those than I do with comics . . .

Thanks again for the insights,

Marc

10 minutes ago, mtracy64 said:

Thanks. The link I hit to view services and turnaround times was one page past subscriptions, so I missed those options. I was thinking 'express' or 'walk through' for the three Clone Wars #1's based entirely on the value of the variant, and that's slippery until they're actually graded. Turnaround times are extremely long right now, but I'm not in any particular hurry. I'll of course sell the lesser copy of the variant, but it's not life-changing money we're talking about. My view of the market for the variant is limited to the past couple weeks and eBay history for the past couple months, but it looks like people are almost afraid to sell - asking prices far exceed previous results and few copies are being offered up. It could go up over time, whereas prices are already dropping on the standard issue. Heir To The Empire #1 and the two Jedi Vs Sith #1's are probably worth grading, though my gold foil of the latter is only 8.5 - 9.0. The rest of the modern Star Wars comics I've looked at appear to really only be worth grading if they're 9.6 or better and you want to sell. I do want to sell half my collection, but not Star Wars. I bought a lot of drek when I was buying, and most of the good stuff I bought and decided not to keep has already been sold - though I'm finding I have a few gems here and there. Variant covers drove me nuts, so I stopped buying new stuff except to read. I started collecting some art as mentioned, and I also collect old records, and I've got better self-control with those than I do with comics . . .

Thanks again for the insights,

Marc

Sounds good!

I'm really not too familiar with star wars and or comics lol

It's not my collecting goal, I HAVE picked up a few along the way, #4 35 cent variant is at cgc now, and I found the ckome wars #1 the other day for 54  cents.... but it IS only about a 4.0 if that lol

But I'm still sending it in :takeit::wishluck::tink:

So I was aware if it's value

IMG_20210705_115848680.jpg

IMG_20210705_115829881_HDR.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

42 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sounds good!

I'm really not too familiar with star wars and or comics lol

It's not my collecting goal, I HAVE picked up a few along the way, #4 35 cent variant is at cgc now, and I found the ckome wars #1 the other day for 54  cents.... but it IS only about a 4.0 if that lol

But I'm still sending it in :takeit::wishluck::tink:

So I was aware if it's value

IMG_20210705_115848680.jpg

IMG_20210705_115829881_HDR.jpg

I saw a 6.0 listed at $500/offer on eBay, and it got an offer and sold. A 4.0 is worth having, and I'm sure there are many people who would love to have it. I suspect it will go up long-term, but the market's flooded right now.

I bought a lot of $25 comics that became $10 comics over time, so it's nice to know I did a few things right. Grimm Fairy Tales worked out well for me, but virtually everything else I bought stagnated or tanked. I'm still shocked that Dark Horse Star Wars comics are bringing the money they are - they sold well enough that it seems impossible.